Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Many of you know that I was an early participant and enthusiastic advocate of another live music streaming site that has been talked about quite a bit here on the forum. In fact several forum members have geared up to perform there, and have been performing regularly.

When Kevin Emmrich first brought the site to the attention of the forum, many people went to check it out, and the resulting opinions were mixed. Some of the positive observations:

1) you can earn money by playing there (via tips from the audience)

2) you can play covers there, because they have BMI, ASCAP and SESAC licenses for live streaming

But there were also negative observations, such as:

1) name doesn't intuitively say what the site is about

2) too much non-prepared noodling, not enough playing

3) unprofessional and overly informal shows consisting of eating sandwiches, petting the cat, someone in the background washing dishes etc etc

4) rarely anybody playing except weekends

5) Some said they would not want to associate themselves with a site that seemed willing to allow anything just for the sake of having activity.

I contacted the owner by email, directed him to the threads on this forum where people offered their honest opinions about the site, and made some suggestions that I thought would alleviate those objections and make the site more attractive to members of this forum. He basically replied by saying "If you don't like it here, you should leave". Then, to make sure I left, he blocked my access.

OK, fair enough. But I LOVE the paradigm because it is particularly well-suited for people like us who want to live-stream our own songs created with PGMusic products.

So, here's the rest of the story....

(continued in the next message)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
(continued from previous message)

My son is a web programmer. When he heard I had been kicked off the other site, he said "No problem.. we'll build a better one"

Its still in construction, but the key building blocks such as audio-video streaming plus chat window are already working in the development environment.

We found and secured a domain name that intuitively describes what the site will be about: "BitConcert.com"

It will offer much of the same functionality as the other site (live streaming with chat, ability to buy tokens and tip performers, licensing to allow cover songs etc, but we hope to deviate from their pattern in all the ways that caused criticism and reluctance to join here. And that's why I'm posting here about all this...

My hope is that the site can become a playground for users of PGMusic products in general, and members of this forum in specific. With that thought in mind, I'd like to use this thread to get ideas and brainstorm about features that would make you want to perform on the site.

Especially if you have used the other site, you might like to see some things done differently. Here's the place to tell me.

I will also be using the multi-user skype sessions for live brainstorming in case those in attendance are willing to talk about that.

We are very close to having a bare-bones functioning site that can be tested, and I invite everyone here to help us test the site... either as observers or as performers or both!

More information will be posted here as it becomes available.

PS... If you reply to this thread, please don't mention the name of the other site... I don't want this thread to show up in google searches for the other place.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
here are some ideas we're kicking around in response to things we've already heard from friends

PROBLEM: same acts hogging the prime time slots every week

SOLUTION: program logic into the scheduling calendar that won't let the same people book the same prime time spots every week

------------

PROBLEM: other acts booking the same time slot as you and sucking all the audience to their show

SOLUTION: only one stage at a time, and performances must be scheduled. Hopefully this will result in spreading the shows over the whole evening instead of having nothing until 7pm, then 4 shows at a time competing for the same audience. It should also result in inheriting the audience from the previous show

---------

PROBLEM: performer plays past the scheduled time, cutting into the slot you scheduled

SOLUTION: active stream will automatically be terminated at the scheduled time allowing the next performer to begin on time

---------

PROBLEM: bar set too low, I'm embarrassed to play on the same stage as the guy eating the sandwich while petting his cat

SOLUTION: Terms of use will specifically state that participants are expected to provide a prepared act, not a practice session, noodling moment or PetCam. Hopefully this will lead to a more homogenous standard.

We also plan to actively prospect for good acts and invite them to the site. We have also discussed feeds from pubs hosting live music, which would not only advertise the pub but also give them additional revenue opportunities via our site

----------

PROBLEM: playing for tips? not enough incentive to get me involved

SOLUTION: we plan to give performers the option of making their shows open to all, depending on tips for compensation... OR setting a cover charge that restricts access to all but those who paid to get in. We think this will make us more appealing to the many groups that use social media to advertise themselves, and who can deliver a large audience of fans who are willing to pay for front row seats at a live concert PLUS the ability to chat with the band in real time.

-----------

PROBLEM: band promotion usually involves touring to get exposure, and that is expensive... but it gets us out there in front of people, and we can offset the cost of touring with CD sales and other merch

SOLUTION: We also hope this will make the site attractive to better acts who are looking for ways to showcase and promote themselves and earn some money in the process, while saving the cost of touring. We also plan to implement a way for bands to sell CDs, MP3s and other merch directly from their profile pages

-----------

PROBLEM: Musicians always like to trade gear

SOLUTION: an integrated trading post for advertising your gear

----------

PROBLEM: you just played your heart out, and you were so focused on the music that you didn't keep up with all the nice comments people were making in the chat window... then at the end of your show you absent-mindedly exited and lost all the chat comments

SOLUTION: When a show ends, the contents of the chat window will automatically be saved and posted to the performer's profile page so they can be read at his/her leisure.

---------

PROBLEM: Users coming from different music sites may not feel like they fit in

SOLUTION: Discussion forums for special interest groups who already know each other from some other site. Hopefully this will not only create an environment that makes everybody feel comfortable among friends, we hope it will also lead to referrals FROM musicians TO musicians, thereby minimizing the proliferation of entry level participants

----------

more later as time allows. These are ideas, not guarantees... its a work in process...

What are YOUR ideas?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,
Great domain name..... It ties in nicely with Bit Coin.
I would advise you to setup a YouTube Channel also named BitConcert.
As of 7:27 there was none there......

Do some amount of web work these last years, but got too old and ran
out of time.

Am making assumption that the "Shows" would be recorded in your system.
With the performers permissions, put them on new YouTube Channel.
With links to their sales locations/sites.

Of course your site server could maybe be a repository also. For
"favorites" reruns.

This sounds like a very exciting project, and having your son work with
you is really great.

Good luck on you dual endeavors.

Last edited by seeker; 02/12/14 08:27 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: seeker
Pat,
Great domain name..... It ties in nicely with Bit Coin.

yeah, we thought so too, and we were surprised that name was still available, considering how investors buy up available domain names for resale these days

Quote:

I would advise you to setup a YouTube Channel also named BitConcert. Am making assumption that the "Shows" would be recorded in your system. With the performers permissions, put them on your new YouTube Channel.Of course your site server could maybe be a repository also. For "favorites" reruns.

I would LOVE to do that, but the problem with recording the sessions is that it changes the type of license required from the copyright places.. its "relatively" inexpensive to get a license for one time live performances (like pubs get so they can host live music)... but once you record it and put it somewhere that makes it playable over and over again, the license get more expensive... more like what people pay to put a song in a movie or commercial.

Quote:
This sounds like a very exciting project, and having your son work with you is really great.

Good luck on you dual endeavors.

Thanks! yeah, for me working with my son is the best part. The second best part, if it works out that way, will be providing a place where my friends on the PGMusic forum can hang out and play music after work.

I really hope we get some interest and input from forum members. Considering the fact that covers are not allowed on the user showcase, this site could be a good alternative for all the PGMusic customers who mainly use the software to create backing tracks for live performances.

You'll join and play, won't you?

wink

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Pat. GREAT idea. Awesome. I'm in!

On the recording for display on Youtube. Maybe its an idea is to only record stuff and make available on Youtube what the performer has rights for. Put the ball in the performer's court here (similar to what PG does on the user showcase). So, if I perform one of my own songs it can go onto Youtube but if I cover someone else’s then it does not.

It would be REALLY great to have videos posted to Youtube. As a songwriter and performer I want to increase the number of youtube videos I have available but it is a real pain in the butt to produce them myself. It would be awesome if I performed one of my own songs on the site and there it is on Youtube.

It could be a "tick" on my repertior that I tick to say "I have all the rights on this song and it's okay to post it on Youtube, blah, blah"

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Another thought from somebody who performs regularly on another site that shall remain nameless. He says he only performs with an avatar and a "virtual band". Some people are shy to go on webcam.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Not knowing much about today's web design, wouldn't it be possible to develop a downloadable app for members to record their gig on their own pc during the the performance. The information is on their pc anyway I guess. That way they could upload it to a youtube channel later. Assuming that copyright rules are observed.

Chris
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
How in the world did you get kicked off that "other site"??? I am taking an "other site" break this month as I am too involved with FAWM. FAWM is taking all of my listening and creating time up.

I like the "other site", but I would be happy to try anything out that you create. Keeping recorded videos of the sets and allowing users to download them would be great. You could delete all recordings after 24 hours, so your hard drives don't get all filled up!

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

As we often say, break a leg my friend!

It is a proven fact that competition in the marketplace is a wonderful thing. With this said sites like these will eventually compliment each other.

Later,

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
He basically replied by saying "If you don't like it here, you should leave". Then, to make sure I left, he blocked my access.

Well...his response tells you exactly where he stands so that would work for me....no further time wasted.
I believe I chimed in on the 'cons' you refer to so I've only viewed that site's participants for a short time.

I will wish you success in getting the site set up and a growing participant involvement which should be quite rewarding for all your effort.

Carry on....

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
For the record, I'm not trying to replace or undermine any other sites. If you were regularly gigging at Joes Pub, and I opened Pat's Pub on the next block, I certainly would not expect you to stop playing at your other established venues.

This will be just one more venue. We all need more places to perform, right?

We have often discussed the future of music now that the old record company paradigm has been forever altered by the web. Instead of having 200 well known bands who are promoted by record companies, we now have millions of unknowm artists, all of which are scrambling for a way to differentiate themselves from the rest of the sand on the beach.

I see streaming sites as part of the new paradigm.

Now is a time in music history when self-promotion is within the reach of everyone... you can advertise globally on social media without having to depend on expensive ad agencies, perform globally without being on the Ed Sullivan show, sell your music globally without having a record company to distribute your CDs. You can meet and chat with fans from all over the world after any given concert.

Some say these are dark times for the music industry, but I think otherwise. We just need to identify the new paradigm and find our own niche therein.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
On the recording for display on Youtube. Maybe its an idea is to only record stuff and make available on Youtube what the performer has rights for. Put the ball in the performer's court here (similar to what PG does on the user showcase). So, if I perform one of my own songs it can go onto Youtube but if I cover someone else’s then it does not.

It would be REALLY great to have videos posted to Youtube. As a songwriter and performer I want to increase the number of youtube videos I have available but it is a real pain in the butt to produce them myself. It would be awesome if I performed one of my own songs on the site and there it is on Youtube.

It could be a "tick" on my repertior that I tick to say "I have all the rights on this song and it's okay to post it on Youtube, blah, blah"

I like that idea a lot Josie! I totally did not think of the fact that original songs are governed by a different set of rules! Having videos on youtube would be a great way to advertise the artist AND the site!

This is another reason why I posted before the site is ready: this forum is filled with seasoned performers who know what is important to them. Now while the details are still in the design stage we can brainstorm together, and shape the final product in ways that meet our specific needs.

Thanks for participating in that process. And thanks to Frank also for mentioning youtube in the first place, even though I initially dismissed the idea. Brainstorming is about drawing on the ideas of many to overcome obstacles that one person would not overcome alone.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Pat. Youtube is where it is at! I have noticed that if I post a video of one of my songs on facebook people will go and have a look whereas if I post a link to soundcloud it just gets ignored. So, for me to have "live" performances of my songs posted to youtube would be a bonus. You could even somehow post the chat screen. That would be awesome exposure for the site. When I did a concert for a friend in Oz on that other site, my friend took a screen shot and posted it on facebook.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Josie...

Good point. Having a presence on both YouTube and FaceBook seems like the way to go. I'm hopelessly ignorant about the current batch of social media sites... what other sites besides FB and YT are high traffic? any info from people who know about that stuff would be greatly appreciated...

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I will be happy to participate, but my cat is really sad that he will not be getting top billing. He likes to be paid in cat nip!

Actually I don't have a cat, I did once but after climbing the curtains the second time it tried him with some wild rice and gravy!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2024, Realband, Reaper, Harrison Mixbus 32c , Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: JosieC
I have noticed that if I post a video of one of my songs on facebook people will go and have a look whereas if I post a link to soundcloud it just gets ignored.

video killed the soundcloud star

don't forget twitter as a marketing tool as well as a blog possibly with guest bloggers sharing their insights on their musical journey and goals

resources for businesses to start using social media to build communities

https://www.google.com/search?q=beginner...media+marketing

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

It sounds like you've really put a lot of thought into it. I think you've got a great chance to make something of it.

I was never able to really get behind another site because I've watched more than one show that consisted of no music and a cat that walked by the camera infrequently.

I hope this works out for you because you're coming at it from a musicians standpoint and a viewers standpoint.

My big question is, ... what's with all of the cats? wink

Most musicians like dogs!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
(FrankB AKA SEEKER) said: "I would advise you to setup a YouTube Channel also named BitConcert."

DONE! Thanks Frank! (but until there are some videos posted, searching for that channel yields the message "no such channel")

And while I was at it, there is now a Facebook page for BitConcert too! (Also no content)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
Pat,

It sounds like you've really put a lot of thought into it. I think you've got a great chance to make something of it.
for my son's sake, I hope so. The site will be his baby.

Quote:

I was never able to really get behind another site because I've watched more than one show that consisted of no music and a cat that walked by the camera infrequently.

Bob, I want to take this opportunity to personally invite you to become a charter member and perform on BitConcert.com! You are a talented man, and I have always respected your skills. If you don't already have a web cam, I'll BUY you one and have it mailed to your home, that's how much I'd like to get you involved!

Quote:
I hope this works out for you because you're coming at it from a musicians standpoint and a viewers standpoint.

that is my hope, Bob... time will tell. But I think that from a supply and demand point of view, there are enough under-represented musicians in the world that if we don't get customers, its our own fault. They are out there, no doubt about it.

Quote:
My big question is, ... what's with all of the cats? wink

Most musicians like dogs!

LOL! good question! we may have to add a cat clause (claws?) to our terms of service... wink

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,671
Posts747,972
Members38,853
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
mehim, vantuir, rsdulcimer, Romulus Ledbetter, timi1
38,852 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199