Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
What is the best “hook” ever on a rock song ?

What’s best? The most recognizable? The one that makes you wanna boogie? The most memorable? The one you like the most? The one you instantly know the name of?

Yep!

Here’s my vote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3RLIU7T39I

No wrong answers! Just interesting responses.

"You know what I'm talkin' about!"

"But I might be mistaken!"

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 04/19/11 08:43 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Josie,

Keep um' comin".

No wrong answers!

Josie?

What happened to your response? It was a good one! Remember there are no wrong answers.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 04/19/11 09:09 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, Bob, I misread the question. I don't have a favorite. I like too many to list

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Josie,

It's not your favorite song. It's the "hook". The part of the song that jumps out at you. That you can't forget!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A C A D A C A says it all, almost, Whole Lotta Rosie by AC DC

I tried to find a decent version on Youtube of the Hayseeds Dixie's version of Whole lotta Rosie but couldn't find one decent version, sadly.
BUT found Walk this way by them BRILLIANT

But these come a close second "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones, "I feel fine" by the Beatles, "All Right Now" by Free, "The boys are back in town" by Thin Lizzie, "Black night" by Deep Purple.
So many more tho'

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Tooo many rank equally, including those already mentioned! How about a mention for Jimmy Page's 'Whole Lotta Love' - I just love this clip from 'It Might Get Loud' where the expressions on the faces of Jack White and The Edge say it all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePsHKqbdRfA

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
As everyone has mentioned there's way too many to have a favorite but I think several stand out enough to make a top ten list. Or a top twenty. Or forty. How about a top 1000 lol.

Anyways, my pick for the country field would have to be the opening notes and rhythm of Folsom Prison Blues, played by Luther Perkins. There's actually been a few articles written about that, with some folks speculating that Luther may have been the most copied guitar player in the world for a while there. I don't know about that, but I do know I'd like to have a penny for every time that song has been played any where in the world.

R&R

Several by Chuck Berry - my number one pick being Johnny B Goode.
Several by John Fogerty - my fav - Green River.
Several by Roy Orbinson = my fav = Pretty Women.

Ok, enuff for now, but you know, now that I think about it, Pretty Women has to be way up there.

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
jim,

luther did that 3 octave descending run intro to "Home of the Blues" and that always "hooked" me. i was fortunate enough to have seen johnny cash, luther and marshall grant (The Tennessee Two) perform live in minneapolis as a lad. the most memorable thing was how luther got everybody dancing kn the aisles while he stood stick-straight, unsmiling and just brought the house down. any guitarist who plays the muted bass "boom-chucka" sound is influenced by luther, knowingly or not. in that sense he was highly copied in his time. i am hearing a lot of great "hooks" in today's county and the introduction of 'unorthodox' instruments. i am thinking de-tuned strats and resonator guitars being fretted and played like a regular guitar. i'm also hearing arpeggiated piano more. a refreshing sound is the addition of nature in songs, rain, wind and thunder. kewl!

luther's long descending run intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WBKRAOMu2Y&feature=related

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 04/20/11 03:35 PM.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There's a great 'top 100' guitar hooks series of blog entries out there on either Rolling Stone's website, or similar. I recently went through all of them and while I didn't necessarily agree with the order, I couldn't argue with many of them.

Some are technically savvy, some are just in your face 'Louie Louie' for example.

My faves have changed over the years, and while I'm too young to have appreciated them the first time around; many Beatles and Led Zeppelin guitar hooks are in my book in the category of: "Man, I wish I came up with that first!"

I don't have a favorite but these always bring a smile: "Daytripper", "Kashmir", "Can't Buy Me Love", "Walk This Way", "Little Wing (the entire chord progression is a hook to me)".

Some of these are happy sounding, some are dark. Can you think of a heavier hook than the guitar interplay with the Bonham groove on "Kashmir"? No fist-pumping leather wearing, multiple-piercing band can claim that they invented 'heavy'. Kashmir sets the bar. Then that orchestral descending line just perfectly leads into the buh-duh-dup, buh-duh-dup, buh-duh-dup, dee-de-dee-dee-de-dee-dee-dew hook. It's a masterpiece of heavy; iconic; almost Beethoven-like in it's recognizability.

My teenager is listening to 'metal-core'; incredibly complex and rhythmically intricate 'music', that thinks and labels itself as heavy, but it has absolutely nothing on Kashmir.

Then all of those 'happy' Beatles intro hooks - magical in how they instantly make one's eyebrows go up and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The twang of that intro to "Ticket to Ride", or the mojo in the hook in "Daytripper", or even the harmonica on "Love Me Do" - icons, each and every one of them.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This one is mine.

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Lotsa good stuff being posted, but I listened to Walk This Way by the Hayseed Dixie's and gibson was right. It was a brilliant rendition.

If you guys didn't watch it, check it out. It's a hoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muyqMrsuLXw

Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Smoke on the Water riff.
Sunshine of Your Love riff.

- Bud
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

This one is mine.

Trax

Good one!

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
And as it pertains to the classic hook in Aerosmith's "Walk This Way", let us not forget one of the best collaborations on this song - with Run DMC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk

You have the Hayseed Dixies and Run DMC both grooving to the same hook - proof enough that it's a hook of the ages.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Scott,

Thanks for the clip. It went straight to my favorites folder.

But one thing I didn’t realize until I got the lyrics to this song after listening to the Hayseed version was just how “raunchy” this song is. The words go by so fast that I hadn’t caught it before.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 04/22/11 07:00 AM.
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Fun thread with lots of good songs posted. It's been years since I listened to "Home of the Blues" and it brought back lots of good memories. I've enjoyed listening to all the links. I hadn't heard "Walk This Way" before. (Where have I been lol) Yeal, it's a little raunchy but lots of fun.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I bet you've heard Walk this Way before, just not like that version (that WAS different!)

I like this one -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk

It's fun that they used Aerosmith (original artists of the song) in the video.

I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Make your sound your own!
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
lol. What a hoot. I liked where he knocked a hole in the wall so he could sing.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, that's an older 70's song (may explain why you weren't familiar with it; us old guys know it by heart). It is a really easy lick to learn, and is definately fitting to the topic, well for those of us around then. It's fun seeing all the remakes of it, including the previous one. Actually the main signature lick is easier than the verse counterplay but it's all fun.

I've played a few different versions with various bands in my day.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Make your sound your own!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,834
Posts749,900
Members38,908
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
lucap, CIowomen23, G.E.N.T.L.E, Paulette Shaw, Guadalupe
38,908 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
rsdean 130
DC Ron 125
BYOBand 102
MarioD 100
vicarn 98
Noel96 76
dcuny 76
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.