Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ignore all haters. Sing!

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Sandra,

I've listened to your sample 4 times now. And it's so obvious that you can carry a tune, so that's good -- but don't fear that your voice lacks a certain "perfection" of sorts.

You might just need to embrace the "Übung macht den Meister" concept when it comes to honing your voice, and the impression you want to make, vocal coach or not.

I retrieved some youtube examples of female singers who you might want to listen to.

(I hope this is okay with the rules & regs?)

Karen Carpenter's lone-ish vocal for "Masquerade"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKy77tpT_do

The full album version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljWyIKyua8c

Fiona Apple, Extraordinary machine recorded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T14ux2k7rk0

Fiona singing it live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsMZkCLxfkM&feature=related

Phoebe Snow singing Harpo's Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SESmndcKI0

Janis Ian has a higher register than you, but this might be illustrative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUz2TNMvL0&feature=related

Basia sings higher & lower, instructive vocals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmY70RPI24

Tracy Chapman sings Fast Car live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orv_F2HV4gk

Norah Jones' Cold Cold Heart, live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g35zS1tVO3o

... and Come Away with Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1V5Wk9gb4U

These female singers may not represent your style, but hearing their takes on those tunes might offer something in the way of practice.

Cheers,
Christa

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sandra, you have a very unique voice (don't read great) and it might be best and easiest to capitalize on that uniqueness rather than to concentrate on a major voice make-over. I heard Janis Joplin (as well as Louis Armstrong) in your voice and they did passably well, commercially speaking.

I, too, sensed you "poop out" toward the end. Correcting that will only come with time and breath/diaphragm control. You always have your voice with you so sing constantly. You likely have music going through your mind constantly judging from your mastery of the guitar. Now just "voice" those mental melodies any time of day or night.

Breath/diaphragm control can be practiced by singing into a lighted candle. You can see cause and effect of various diaphragm controls. Great practice for any singer. Try different volumes without blowing out the candle. Also excellent for controlling plosives.

All the best to you.

Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Sandra, I have a bit of a different take on your voice. I think it's great but for different reasons. I also think you have something that others have lost in their quest for recording contracts and all that pwerfection. It's hard to express but you have the soul that comes out in your singing.Very few ever have that.
Look back on the different groups like the Kinks and you find singers that wanted to create something new. There was a freshness in their voices that can't be found today.
Look at Janis Joplin's career. You can hear the pain in her songs, same with Joe Cocker,and 99% of the early rock & roll as well as the Blues singers of the Southern USA.
I would PAY to see you sing, but the plane tickets a bit of an issue.
My advice is let it all out, you have something to say, push your way to the front and say it. It's about you creating images with your voice that we all experience and you can voice those feeling for us, you have it, use it.
Do it, I would but I can't.
Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have listened then re-listened. I think that I have identified that voice...Marlene Dietrich. She sang cabaret-style during the 1940s war years. That is something worthy of striving to attain.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sandra,

As most have stated - sing away. Tune down 1/2 to a full step, it will make a world of difference particularly on those higher 'afternoon' phrase enders. Right now, you are straining to hit the last note on 'noon' - Ask your coach how to 'open up' on those notes - right now, I picture your chin extending and your head tipping back on that note. Try to practice keeping the chin in lower.

For the purpose of the couple of songs either live or on a CD, it will not bring down the quality - it will be something that will entertain and break up the monotony of a solid show of wordless gypsy jazz. I once got to hear John Jorgensn live, about 15 meters from the stage, and even though he is a master, it got to be quite boring after 4 or 5 songs. The singing and lyrics put an entirely different feeling into gypsy jazz. Make sure the lyrics tell a story. The history of popular music is ripe with examples of singers much much worse than your voice, but they were great storytellers. One could argue that nearly the whole of country music singers, with some rare exceptions, actually have terrible technique, but again they are great storytellers. Work on your facial expressions, gestures, interaction with the nearby audience members, etc. just as much as you work on what little is left for vocal technique. Your audience will love it. Most of all, have fun - that will shine through above all.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What Scott said! Develop your image. I tell about Streisand's nose job. That minor flaw was "Barbara" and gave her "character!" Don't polish ALL the rough edges.

Off-Topic
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You know, Don, I told her that very thing in a private message. Marlene Dietrich was SMOOOOOOKIN' hot in her time. The sultry, seductive kind of voice....

I think she sings just fine. All about picking music that suits the voice rather than trying to make a voice fit the music.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, GMTA! Great Minds Think Alike.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,834
Posts749,895
Members38,908
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
lucap, CIowomen23, G.E.N.T.L.E, Paulette Shaw, Guadalupe
38,908 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
rsdean 130
DC Ron 125
BYOBand 102
vicarn 98
MarioD 95
dcuny 76
Noel96 75
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.