Quote:

This kid was just arrogant about his position as entertainment Mgr and had no interest in attracting anyone into the place other then his young buddies & bimbos.
If you have entertainment 4 nights a week why wouldn't you give someone an opportunity to come in for nothing on another night?
The consensus is to them it doesn't matter that on the off nights nobody is there. They WILL NOT hire anything other then the type of acts they already have.Wouldn't matter if I brought in 500 people.
Straight out of the horses mouth. These places just don't like County. Period.

One thing that I came to understand very early in my music career is that most places are marketing a brand. They are blues bars, or Country Bars, or Rock Bars and they are not going to do anything that confuses the marketing of that brand. If they are branding themselves as a Blues venue, they don't want to confuse their customers and have them ask "Is this a Country night or a Blues Night?". By the same token, if they are targeting a youth market they don't want to make the customer ask if it is a youth night or a baby boomer night. That is a reality that I think you can understand since you seem to have branded yourself as a Country act and perhaps an older market act.

There were lots of places to play in our locale when I was a young musician, but each place had its own musical identity (Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Blues, top 40, Country, Disco, dinner music etc) which locked us out of some places since our intial repretoire consisted of rock and nothing else. I remember a very agonizing band meeting that we had where we asked some very hard questions and one of those questions was "are we rock musicians OR are we MUSICIANS ?".....and if we were the latter, were we talented enough and professional enough to play whatever was necessary to get work and entertain the regular customers of just about any kind of establishement that we went into. I understand having a musical identity as a musician, because I had to swallow hard back then to learn disco sets and dinner music sets but we did it, and we went from working occassional weekends to having to turn work down because we could have worked 7 nights a week if we wanted to. We were hired to play everything from rock bars to an AARP convention and had no trouble entertaining those very diverse crowds. We played Country music back then too, as i do now, but it is just ONE of many styles that I'm comfortable playing in.

The thing to remember is that you and the entertainment manager that you are so upset with are two peas in a pod. For good or bad you have branded your product and narrowed your market.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti