Danny,

I have to admit I’m envious of you for having actually played with Vince. He’s one of my favorite guitarists and singers, (not to mention a damn good song writer, … wait, … I just mentioned it!).

I became familiar with Vince after he joined “Pure Prairie League”. It’s interesting to find that Vince initially turned down a spot in the band because he was “playing bluegrass”. This is from the bands website:

Quote:

Someone auditioning for the spot of the departing Gorshorn brothers brought along a young man named Vince Gill. He hadn't intended on trying out for the band, but after jamming for the band, they offered him the job on the spot. "We had seen him play in 1976 when the band he was playing with opened up for us in Oklahoma City", remarks Reilly. "We offered him the gig then, but he said, 'Oh no, I'm playing bluegrass.' Two years later he came to Los Angeles with Byron Berline and Sundance and after we jammed agian for a few hours, we offered him the job again and he accepted".

The rest is musical history. From everything I’ve read and heard about Vince is that he’s genuinely as humble as he appears onstage and in interviews. He still plays with folks from his bluegrass roots and is an all around “multi-instrumentalist” and good guy.

He’s mostly known for his voice and as a “Tele-Master”, but he can make several instruments “talk” like nobodies business!