Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sandra,

Be encouraged...please ! You are MASTER CLASS guitarist...period. But that does not mean that your vocals need to match that ability. You say you are doing 2,3 vocal tunes for the CD, right ? So these tracks are 'incidental' to the project. Not meaning to demean or lessen their value, but the emphasis on the project is the instrumental aspect, correct ?

I've heard tons of CD's by great instrumentalists that are 'just OK' vocalists (1 or 2 vocal tracks per CD)...SO WHAT ? As long as it's a heartfelt performance (the hardest part I think) people will relate.. DO IT !

Be encouraged ! Practice... and let us hear the final results. I'm in for the CD purchase !

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sandra,

I enjoyed listening to you do this song, a great song that fits your style. Because I place a high value on vocal quality I was prepared to be quite critical if necessary. However, I found your vocal quality to be very pleasant, and a good match with your song material. Your voice is clear, on pitch, has interesting rhythmic variance in different parts of the song, and keeps the listener interested. I'm sure that with additional training you could be even better, but you are already a long ways towards your goal. If, according to your coach, singing will bring you more success, then I am quite sure you will find that success. You are certainly already very accomplished on your instrument.

Best of luck,
Terry

BIAB/RB 2018 PlusPak. Dell Inspiron23 running Win10, 12GB RAM, 2.5GHz i7, Presonus AudioBox USB interface.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sandra,

One thing I left out in my 1st reply. . . I'd bet your guitar playing did not start at the level at which you are currently playing, so keep in mind you have just started the singing journey. You will get better with each practice session and performance as you are a too good musician for that not to happen and that will without a doubt in my mind, translate to stronger vocals.

Edited portion: Remember Herb Alpert, strong trumpet player? I also remember that while he was never know for his voice his heartfelt rendetion of This Guys IN Love With You was a big and memorable hit.

Later,

Last edited by Danny C.; 02/19/12 09:17 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Sandra,

Since your project isn't until autumn. Find a "professional vocal coach" with references to work with you. A pro vocal coach NOT a "voice teacher". A real pro vocal coach will tailor your sessions to fix problems and refine your own singing style as opposed to just learning breathing, scales, etc. The cost will be worth it as the real pro vocal coach will help you be the best you personally can be in the least amount of time. You'll do the work and approach singing with the same professional mindset as you do with perfecting your guitar chops - which I believe from what you said is what you want to do.

Once you add a vocal to a song - whether the singer is you or somebody else - that vocal now carries that song. The majority of people listening will focus on the vocal.

I disagree with some here who say your vocal songs can be somehow expendable or lesser just because you are foremost an instrumentalist. This is a singles oriented world now. There are no designated album cuts any more. Once you step up to the mic people have expectations. You're going to take heat for doing it from all the critics regardless. You don't have to be the reigning Ms Golden pipes but you can be the best singer Sandra can be with your own confident style.

Ask around and find yourself a real pro vocal coach who's working or has worked with other budding artists who have label deals and go from there.

All the best,

Josie

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Sandra,
For someone who doesn't sing that was pretty good. I agree with Mitch, pick your key carefully for your voice. This one was a shade high, although with coaching you will get those high notes without straining. You guitar playing indicates that you are disciplined and strive for perfection. I don't think you need to go the perfection route on vocals. Vocals are for expressing emotion, and unfortunately tend to tire quickly. When playing a string instrument, breathing is not of paramount importance, when singing it is. Do your own singing, you are plenty good enough for that, and dont worry about the CD. The studio is full of gimics that even top singers rely on. But be careful of being too perfect, gypsy swing, like blues, is not about perfection but emotion. For an example of someone who can’t sing listen to Paolo Conte. He can fill concert halls with his gravel voice, and his CDs are pretty good too. In a world where singers tend to sound the same, a bit of gravel (Tom Waites) and especially emotion (Joe Cocker) and uniqueness (Amy Winehouse) are what brings success. It’s not the voice that determines success, it’s the singer. Go for it.

Chris
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Sandra.

I don't think you've you've got anything to worry about.

Singing is largely about confidence and, hopefully, the encouragement you've got from all these comments will help to provide that. Don't be scared of those high notes, pile on even more expression and you'll have a great recording.

ROG.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Sandra,

I agree with many of the posts above (Mac, Mitch,..)

A couple of points to bear in mind.
- this is a particularly challenging tune to sing, so it's perhaps unfair of us to assess you on it
- if you plan to sing live you would not want the singing to distract you in any way from your primary skill as a guitar player.

Good luck!!

Marc

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Sandra,

I think you will do OK once you have sorted out the glitches in your voice.
Many others have given advice to you.
I would offer a practical advice (it worked for me - I think),
If you are using headphones when you are singing take one side of the headphones off your ear.
You may be surprised to hear the difference that can make.

Just go for it. What have you got to lose.

Best regards
George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you folks for all your good advice and I totally appreciate your honest replies!

As an excuse (LOL) I have to say though, this was the first and only vocal take on that recording. I haven`t yet practised the song either. And I also didn`t have it run through some pitch correction thingie (as you can hear;-))
I did this on purpose, because this is the level I would perform live (right now), so I wanted to know if there`s potential to keep going or if it`s a complete fail.
But since I`ve got a couple of months till the recordings and first live gigs with that set, I think I can handle it.

I totally agree with Mike and some others that say my singing doesn`t meet my high level of guitar playing. But I think in a couple of months I will be able to sing good enough for the purpose intended.

Sandra

"GuitarVersum" YouTube Channel: Jazz Chord Melody Tutorials
Jazz Guitar Lessons | Jazz Guitar Gear Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkT05N04ICdHgmDZrGYz-5A

Lesson Shop:
https://guitarversum.com/shop

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

But since I`ve got a couple of months till the recordings and first live gigs with that set, I think I can handle it.

I totally agree with Mike and some others that say my singing doesn`t meet my high level of guitar playing. But I think in a couple of months I will be able to sing good enough for the purpose intended.

Sandra

Sandra, I KNOW that you are able to do it!

Listen to others, but always listen to your own inner voice a bit more intently as you have the taste, knowledge. muscial experience and above all the built in pursuit of excellence standing behind you.

Ahd always remember this:

The professional musical critic is never a working musician. Rather, they are typically made up of people who tried to be and did not succeed. So they find work writing critiques instead *grin*. As a matter of fact, I tell my masterclass level students to look forward to that first bad review. It is a rite of passage.

Not many people know that when Frank Sinatra first started out in New Jersey, he sang so badly and out of tune that he had to beg his mother to purchase a PA system so the local bands would hire him (they typically needed the PA for the "other" female singer on the same gig). He kept at it. He took singing lessons. He got better. Obviously.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Right on, Sandra.

Find a good vocal coach. He/she can help you learn to use and train your vocal instrument. You might want to contact Corinne Morini. She is a vocal coach in Vienna, using the EVTS method. EVTS is an innovative system for developing masterful control of the human voice.

I don't know Corinne Morini, I found her when I did a search on the EVTS international site for an EVTS instructors in/near Vienna.

Make sure you feel comfortable with your vocal coach. This will make the training much more beneficial. Go for it!

I will be looking forward to listen to your upcoming album.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like your voice as is, Google Vocal Fry and maybe try that if you want to add more to what you already have!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just stop and think about how many "singers" can't sing at all... start with Mick Jagger. Move to Rod Stewart. God, Stewart's voice is like nails on a blackboard. That screaming quality.... Whole bunch of people got famous because of the band behind them without being able to sing. That first take was better than a lot of people I hear right now.

You have ZERO to worry about. As you practice and improve from a very good starting point, it'll all work out.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like to think I can tell a capable vocalist in the first couple of notes they sing. It is the same quality element that every gutarist searches for, I am sure you have also. It is Tone! Hard to define but you know it when you hear it. You either have it or you have to work a long time to get it. In your case I heard a hint of it. Thats a good thing - it can develope and grow with practice and instruction.

The thing I see here in these reviews "reading between the lines" is folks trying to tell you that to be a good vocalist you have to love to sing. If you force it or fake it, it won't work. Good luck.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Thanks! What does "phonics" mean?

It's that mythical bird that rises from the dead.......
WSS

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
No Steve, that's "Phenics"

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Sandra
As others have commented, you have a good voice that just needs some fine tuning.

The first part of the process is learning the correct physical techniques to smooth out any rough spots and a vocal coach may be the best and quickest way to get that done.
There may also be useful articles and videos on the Internet.

The second part of the process is mental, building your performance confidence so that your apprehension doesn’t cause you to tense up your vocal chords and restrict your range.

One technique to try is to start each vocal session by saying to yourself :
“OK let’s have some fun with this song.

“Let’s really get into the feel of it regardless of whether it’s “Perfect” or not”,
Some times perfection can also be very boring to listen to.

“I am now going to act and sing like the singer I want to be (visualize your favorite singer) performing in a place I’ve always dreamed off.”

Really believe in the song and want to project that feeling out to the audience with your singing.
Picture yourself singing like your favorite singer on stage, with all the emotive gestures.

Smile! Play with the song, trying different presentations.
It’s all part of the “fun factor”.
It loosens you up so your technical training can shine through.

That’s one of the reasons, I believe, we all sound so good in the shower.
All that apprehension is washed away, leaving us to enjoy the process of singing.

The great singers, regardless of their voices are also great entertainers. Their voice is only part of the package.
Surprisingly, many have said that they are not immune to stage fright but they have learned to overcome it and go out there and give a great show.
The mental aspect is just as, if not more than important than their vocal ability.

Always keep in mind that unless you are recording a live club performance for your CD, you have as many takes as it takes to get it right in the studio.
And you have lots of tools to tweak them.
The best part of any take can be cut and added to another best part until you get the result you or your producer wants so that helps take some of the pressure off.

Hope you find some of this useful and look forward to hearing your CD.
Carkins

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

No Steve, that's "Phenics" [/quot

No Keith, that's a city in Arizona...

WSS

Off-Topic
C
Journeyman
Journeyman
C
Sandra
Check out this video I found and others on youtube:
Take The Stress Out of Recording Vocals in the Studio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ze-VpJgng

Best wishes,
Carkins

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You're good enough to know where you're at. What I noticed was the reverb; it distracted and that's a common trap. Don't spend time trying to do anything to the vocals. If you want to learn to sing start recording yourself singing and *listen* to it. Don't add anything, just focus on the performance. You'll start hearing what you need to work on. I would spend a bit of time doing this combined with lessons.
Stop and listen to what you just sang. Don't just keep singing it over and over, that will develops muscles but little technique.

I started this with my daughter and it helped her a lot. Just listening to herself honestly (very little FX) helped her to learn her range, when she needs to think about pitch and when she can just sing it.

Have fun though, don't be hard on yourself, just listen and learn. Then do it again.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
XPro & Xtra Styles Sets On Sale Until July 15th!

Save up-to 40% when you purchase XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs before July 15, 2024!

The most recent XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box® 2023 or higher include additional Styles for Band-in-a-Box® that work seamlessly with your project. We offer XPro Styles PAKs that work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® package, and Xtra Styles PAKs for UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile users!

We recently released a combined total of 300 new Styles in XPro Styles PAK 6 and Xtra Styles PAK 17!

Each PAK can be purchased for $29: Order XPro Styles PAKs | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

The 100 new styles added with XPro Styles PAK 6 include 25 Rock & Pop, 25 Jazz, 25 Country, and 25 Progressive Rock! These add styles like funky soul jazz, uplifting pop-rock, 12-8 country ballads, hard and heavy progressive rock, '70s funk, dubby reggae jams, driving country rock, synth-heavy prog rock, and many more! Video: XPro Styles PAK 6 Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 17 adds 200 new styles to any Band-in-a-Box 2023 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile installation! You'll find 50 each for Rock & Pop, Jazz, and Country. What about the remaining 50? We've added them with a new category: World 1! In Xtra Styles PAK 17, you'll find styles like: laid-back pop country, mellow smooth jazz, '80s new wave, Caribbean reggae, '90s alternative pop, modern jazz fusion, funky Texas blues, Afro-Cuban grooves, and even mariachi-infused Motown... and more! Video: Xtra Styles PAK 14 Demos

Mac User? Click here for your announcement.

NEW - The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 VST DAW Plugin 6.0 for Mac®!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes the new VST DAW Plugin 6.0!

This new Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin has over 20 new features including near instant playback direct from disk, to audition various styles without creating WAV files. You can now load chords from MIDI files. There's support for Shots/Rest/Holds on Utility tracks, and more! For Reaper® DAW users, the Plugin has added built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

Every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® includes the VST DAW Plugin, and all Mac® upgrades are on sale until July 15th!

Save up-to 50% when you upgrade to Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® today - check out the different upgrade options here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac is here with over 50 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, “Songs with Vocals” Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, two new sets of “RealDrums Stems,” and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2024 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some incredible Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2024 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 50 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2024 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available, and if you have any questions about your upgrade feel free to connect with us directly!

User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,155
Posts741,373
Members38,678
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
stevemark6, Bassguitar_Sebas, Qamer, folk, Fenderwp
38,678 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)