Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ignore all haters. Sing!

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Sandra,

I've listened to your sample 4 times now. And it's so obvious that you can carry a tune, so that's good -- but don't fear that your voice lacks a certain "perfection" of sorts.

You might just need to embrace the "Übung macht den Meister" concept when it comes to honing your voice, and the impression you want to make, vocal coach or not.

I retrieved some youtube examples of female singers who you might want to listen to.

(I hope this is okay with the rules & regs?)

Karen Carpenter's lone-ish vocal for "Masquerade"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKy77tpT_do

The full album version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljWyIKyua8c

Fiona Apple, Extraordinary machine recorded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T14ux2k7rk0

Fiona singing it live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsMZkCLxfkM&feature=related

Phoebe Snow singing Harpo's Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SESmndcKI0

Janis Ian has a higher register than you, but this might be illustrative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUz2TNMvL0&feature=related

Basia sings higher & lower, instructive vocals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmY70RPI24

Tracy Chapman sings Fast Car live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orv_F2HV4gk

Norah Jones' Cold Cold Heart, live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g35zS1tVO3o

... and Come Away with Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1V5Wk9gb4U

These female singers may not represent your style, but hearing their takes on those tunes might offer something in the way of practice.

Cheers,
Christa

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sandra, you have a very unique voice (don't read great) and it might be best and easiest to capitalize on that uniqueness rather than to concentrate on a major voice make-over. I heard Janis Joplin (as well as Louis Armstrong) in your voice and they did passably well, commercially speaking.

I, too, sensed you "poop out" toward the end. Correcting that will only come with time and breath/diaphragm control. You always have your voice with you so sing constantly. You likely have music going through your mind constantly judging from your mastery of the guitar. Now just "voice" those mental melodies any time of day or night.

Breath/diaphragm control can be practiced by singing into a lighted candle. You can see cause and effect of various diaphragm controls. Great practice for any singer. Try different volumes without blowing out the candle. Also excellent for controlling plosives.

All the best to you.

Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Sandra, I have a bit of a different take on your voice. I think it's great but for different reasons. I also think you have something that others have lost in their quest for recording contracts and all that pwerfection. It's hard to express but you have the soul that comes out in your singing.Very few ever have that.
Look back on the different groups like the Kinks and you find singers that wanted to create something new. There was a freshness in their voices that can't be found today.
Look at Janis Joplin's career. You can hear the pain in her songs, same with Joe Cocker,and 99% of the early rock & roll as well as the Blues singers of the Southern USA.
I would PAY to see you sing, but the plane tickets a bit of an issue.
My advice is let it all out, you have something to say, push your way to the front and say it. It's about you creating images with your voice that we all experience and you can voice those feeling for us, you have it, use it.
Do it, I would but I can't.
Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have listened then re-listened. I think that I have identified that voice...Marlene Dietrich. She sang cabaret-style during the 1940s war years. That is something worthy of striving to attain.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sandra,

As most have stated - sing away. Tune down 1/2 to a full step, it will make a world of difference particularly on those higher 'afternoon' phrase enders. Right now, you are straining to hit the last note on 'noon' - Ask your coach how to 'open up' on those notes - right now, I picture your chin extending and your head tipping back on that note. Try to practice keeping the chin in lower.

For the purpose of the couple of songs either live or on a CD, it will not bring down the quality - it will be something that will entertain and break up the monotony of a solid show of wordless gypsy jazz. I once got to hear John Jorgensn live, about 15 meters from the stage, and even though he is a master, it got to be quite boring after 4 or 5 songs. The singing and lyrics put an entirely different feeling into gypsy jazz. Make sure the lyrics tell a story. The history of popular music is ripe with examples of singers much much worse than your voice, but they were great storytellers. One could argue that nearly the whole of country music singers, with some rare exceptions, actually have terrible technique, but again they are great storytellers. Work on your facial expressions, gestures, interaction with the nearby audience members, etc. just as much as you work on what little is left for vocal technique. Your audience will love it. Most of all, have fun - that will shine through above all.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What Scott said! Develop your image. I tell about Streisand's nose job. That minor flaw was "Barbara" and gave her "character!" Don't polish ALL the rough edges.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You know, Don, I told her that very thing in a private message. Marlene Dietrich was SMOOOOOOKIN' hot in her time. The sultry, seductive kind of voice....

I think she sings just fine. All about picking music that suits the voice rather than trying to make a voice fit the music.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, GMTA! Great Minds Think Alike.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
XPro & Xtra Styles Sets On Sale Until July 15th!

Save up-to 40% when you purchase XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs before July 15, 2024!

The most recent XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box® 2023 or higher include additional Styles for Band-in-a-Box® that work seamlessly with your project. We offer XPro Styles PAKs that work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® package, and Xtra Styles PAKs for UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile users!

We recently released a combined total of 300 new Styles in XPro Styles PAK 6 and Xtra Styles PAK 17!

Each PAK can be purchased for $29: Order XPro Styles PAKs | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

The 100 new styles added with XPro Styles PAK 6 include 25 Rock & Pop, 25 Jazz, 25 Country, and 25 Progressive Rock! These add styles like funky soul jazz, uplifting pop-rock, 12-8 country ballads, hard and heavy progressive rock, '70s funk, dubby reggae jams, driving country rock, synth-heavy prog rock, and many more! Video: XPro Styles PAK 6 Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 17 adds 200 new styles to any Band-in-a-Box 2023 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile installation! You'll find 50 each for Rock & Pop, Jazz, and Country. What about the remaining 50? We've added them with a new category: World 1! In Xtra Styles PAK 17, you'll find styles like: laid-back pop country, mellow smooth jazz, '80s new wave, Caribbean reggae, '90s alternative pop, modern jazz fusion, funky Texas blues, Afro-Cuban grooves, and even mariachi-infused Motown... and more! Video: Xtra Styles PAK 14 Demos

Mac User? Click here for your announcement.

NEW - The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 VST DAW Plugin 6.0 for Mac®!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes the new VST DAW Plugin 6.0!

This new Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin has over 20 new features including near instant playback direct from disk, to audition various styles without creating WAV files. You can now load chords from MIDI files. There's support for Shots/Rest/Holds on Utility tracks, and more! For Reaper® DAW users, the Plugin has added built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

Every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® includes the VST DAW Plugin, and all Mac® upgrades are on sale until July 15th!

Save up-to 50% when you upgrade to Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® today - check out the different upgrade options here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac is here with over 50 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, “Songs with Vocals” Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, two new sets of “RealDrums Stems,” and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2024 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some incredible Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2024 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 50 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2024 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available, and if you have any questions about your upgrade feel free to connect with us directly!

User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,155
Posts741,373
Members38,678
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
stevemark6, Bassguitar_Sebas, Qamer, folk, Fenderwp
38,678 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)