RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
@rockstar_not,
Yeah. I got over my biggest hurdle so far and was the interface install and being able to record. I have enough now to get me going and the other stuff can come later, if need be. (So, the manual reading, viewing some tutorials here and there, and getting a lot of hands on experience is my priority now.)

P.S. I'm getting this:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0326902-500

Last edited by rokq22; 03/19/12 08:12 AM.
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

@rockstar_not,
Yeah. I got over my biggest hurdle so far and was the interface install and being able to record. I have enough now to get me going and the other stuff can come later, if need be. (So, the manual reading, viewing some tutorials here and there, and getting a lot of hands on experience is my priority now.)

P.S. I'm getting this:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0326902-500

Squiers are nice basses for the money. However, I would have helped you save some money there by heading over to rondomusic and picking a bass from their arsenal. You would have spent about half of what you spent on the Squier. Lots of folks here very happy with their rondo purchases. They even have an old school precision copy (sort of)

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

I get compliments all the time on my SX bass that I bought there for $119 back a few years ago. Pump it through a Behringer V-Amp Bass Pro unit that I got on Craigslist for $100 into our church's PA system with a big ol' subwoofer under the stage and man, the thing just shakes the place.

-Scott

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thanks for that and will check out them out. (I haven't bought the Squire yet). Yes, money is definitely an issue and one of the main reasons I shop AMS is to take advantage of their "3-EZ Pay" but those prices look good.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
rokq22 - the main criteria I ended up using when I bought that bass was the 'megathread' over at the talkbass forums. It's hundreds of pages long now (they've had to archive it a couple times) with almost nothing but praise - from guys with legit basses like Lakland, Sadowsky, etc. that keep those axes at home and gig with their SX and Agile basses from Rondo.

Some swap out pickups and whatnot, but I can tell you the build quality of my SX bass is way better than my Made-in-Mexico Fender fat strat.

Excellent customer service from Kurt at Rondo. One thing you will likely have to do is a proper setup on the bridge and neck. However, with a bass, this is actually pretty easy to do with some studying of videos on the internet.

You can also see what these run for used on eBay and you'll see they hold a bit over half their MSRP from Rondo. So even if you buy one and don't like it, you can unload it for easily half what you paid Rondo - which you likely won't have to do.

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Well, I'm learning. And, as usual, one thing leads to another and I read a post with someone mentioned Audacity. And I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWflvukIlG4&feature=fvwrel

Now THAT looks REAL promising!

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Just found the following and it looks REALLY great!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWflvukIlG4&feature=fvwrel

Not quite to that point yet but already wondering if vocal tracks from RealBand can be moved to Audacity, changed, and moved back to RealBand again?? Oh, there MUST be a way, huh?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Sure
In RB use Track export
Open the new file in Audacity and adjust
save the file
Import the Audacity wave file into the RB project using Audio-Import

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

Sure
In RB use Track export
Open the new file in Audacity and adjust
save the file
Import the Audacity wave file into the RB project using Audio-Import

I'm excited again.

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

For about $70 more you can get a new TC Helicon Voice Live Touch on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TC-Helicon-Voice...=item5ae56373af

Not sure how how it compares to the Digitec pedal you are considering feature wise but is popular with a few of the Forum members.
Maybe they can comment on which is better bang for your buck.

Carkins

What a difference a day makes as I wasn't all that impressed with the Audacity and it's effect on MY vocals. So now I'm back into being interested in a processor for the voice (but will do more experimenting with Audacity in the meantime).

Was wondering, would the TC Helicon work with my Line 6 UX1? Dunno off hand, but would the TC Helicon plug into the two "Line Inputs" in the back of the UX1? Or where? Hmmm, I think I need to get away from the computer and YouTube for a bit and go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and check them out.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

For about $70 more you can get a new TC Helicon Voice Live Touch on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TC-Helicon-Voice...=item5ae56373af

Not sure how how it compares to the Digitec pedal you are considering feature wise but is popular with a few of the Forum members.
Maybe they can comment on which is better bang for your buck.

Carkins

What a difference a day makes as I wasn't all that impressed with the Audacity and it's effect on MY vocals. So now I'm back into being interested in a processor for the voice (but will do more experimenting with Audacity in the meantime).

Was wondering, would the TC Helicon work with my Line 6 UX1? Dunno off hand, but would the TC Helicon plug into the two "Line Inputs" in the back of the UX1? Or where? Hmmm, I think I need to get away from the computer and YouTube for a bit and go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and check them out.

Well it may have been $70 at some point in time, but that is way to low to stay there for long (now at $369 which is almost list). The VLT has been discussed here in the forum as much as any single item. It is a USB device so no need for any other interface, but yes it can be routed by external cables into any interface.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
There are enough free tools available that I'd be surprised if you have to spend *anything* to get a good vocal recording.
PM me if you want suggestions. I'd need a sample vocal track (with backing tracks) to make suggestions, but there is a lot of free stuff out there that works really well.

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

There are enough free tools available that I'd be surprised if you have to spend *anything* to get a good vocal recording.
PM me if you want suggestions. I'd need a sample vocal track (with backing tracks) to make suggestions, but there is a lot of free stuff out there that works really well.

Yeah, I know. And I gotta get it through my head that it isn't like "the old days" where one HAD to buy something cool if they wanted it.

Anyhow, for most the day I've been trying out the TONS of guitar effects on the Line 6 UX1 and I'm only on the presets starting with the letter "G". I have noticed it also has lots of VOCAL presets so will try them out later. Enough for now.

P.S. Just saw a video on YouTube about improving vocals and the guy says "You have to keep in mind that if you suck there's no plug-in in the world that's gonna help you not suck." Oh, darn!

Anyhow, rharv, here's my vocals. And, obviously, before I discovered BIAB/RB. It's just, as of now, I'm thinking I might actually sound "better" (if that's possible) recording my vocals from an amp as opposed to through the computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsCB3p0p5EM

P.P.S. So many headtrips so little time. And just this evening the thought about MICROPHONES dawned on me. I mean, why hasn't there been a single mention about MICROPHONES on this thread? I starting thinking how over the past "X" amount of years that I have accepted my vocals with lots of YouTube videos when recorded via my Sony HandyCam. Hey, they might have "sucked" but they were good enough for me. Then I bought a ZOOM Q3HD which, supposedly, had one of the best recording MICROPHONES FOR MUSIC at the time. But I wasn't satisfied. Heck, I sound pretty darn good, sometimes, at karaoke nights and less so when recording via the video camera. Now here I am sort of dissatisfied with the recordings with the computer. So I'm out there searching for various plug-ins but not a mention about the MICROPHONE.

Well, the microphone I've been using to record so far is a Peavey PVM580TN. Tomorrow I'll try an oldie Shure PL91A. Will using the Shure over the Peavey matter? Well check this out:

http://www.recordproducer.com/?a=154

http://www.recordproducer.com/?a=156

Hmmm, interesting. Okay, I haven't had time yet to view the videos but I most certainly will tomorrow. But before I go to bed I'm now wondering, does a $1000 microphone really sound all that much better than a $99 microphone when one can use an endless amount of plug-ins to enhance the vocals recorded by that $99 microphone?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

.....guy says "You have to keep in mind that if you suck there's no plug-in in the world that's gonna help you not suck." Oh, darn!

Absolutely

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Well I compared my Peavey PVM580TN with the Shure PL91A and I am gonna use the Shure! I found that the Peavey was a bit too "sensitive" while the Shure isn't and I like that. I have a pop screen but I could put my mouth up to the Shure and it sounded pretty good. Have to turn the mic gain up more with it but that's quite okay. I recorded a track and then messed with it in Audacity and, well, I think I can actually pass as a not too good singer. Which is better than sucking.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Shure SM58 and SM57 have been used on a lot of recordings. There's a reason for that. It's not the cost of the mic; it's the result that matters.

A track recorded with an expensive mic *may* sound 'better' when A/B compared to a track recorded with a less expensive mic .. but the sound (in the mix) from the less expensive mic may just fit better in the end. Sound characteristics of given mic, and many other factors come into play.

One of the forum members, Harvey Gerst, wrote a nice article on mics a while back. I'll try to find a link. Mic selection can make a huge difference, but don't let anything (including price or reviews) influence your decision. Use your ears.

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

One of the forum members, Harvey Gerst, wrote a nice article on mics a while back. I'll try to find a link. Mic selection can make a huge difference, but don't let anything (including price or reviews) influence your decision. Use your ears.

Well how about if you just "know" a mic is good because of the large amount of users of it? Like the Shure 55SH? Needless to say I just bid on one on eBay and haven't even heard what I might sound through one yet.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I've never *known* a mic was right from reviews (without hearing it), but I do hope it turns out to be the perfect one.

RealBand
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

I've never *known* a mic was right from reviews (without hearing it), but I do hope it turns out to be the perfect one.

I guess I was saying that I just have my heart set on getting a Shure 55SH. But now that I've seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRO7V2MidX8

I'll be going to Guitar Center and/or Sam Ash (no eBay for the mic!) to try the Shure 55SH and, while I'm there, I'll probably check out the Shure SM57 also. But, well, the mics I have now are probably good themselves. (The Electro-Voice PL91A and Peavey PVM580TN, with the edge going toward the ELV for me.) Also, and this might be a bit strange, but the "Cool Factor" means something to me as well and, to ME, the Shure 55SH has it.

Hmmm, was the Shure 57 originally designed as in INSTRUMENT mic?

P.S. I was actually GLAD I was outbid on eBay for the Shure 55SH. My high bid was $91.53.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
G.A.S. - we've all had it.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Rokq, you don't know who Harvey Gerst is do you? Google his name and slow down, you're making me dizzy.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
XPro & Xtra Styles Sets On Sale Until July 15th!

Save up-to 40% when you purchase XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs before July 15, 2024!

The most recent XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box® 2023 or higher include additional Styles for Band-in-a-Box® that work seamlessly with your project. We offer XPro Styles PAKs that work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® package, and Xtra Styles PAKs for UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile users!

We recently released a combined total of 300 new Styles in XPro Styles PAK 6 and Xtra Styles PAK 17!

Each PAK can be purchased for $29: Order XPro Styles PAKs | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

The 100 new styles added with XPro Styles PAK 6 include 25 Rock & Pop, 25 Jazz, 25 Country, and 25 Progressive Rock! These add styles like funky soul jazz, uplifting pop-rock, 12-8 country ballads, hard and heavy progressive rock, '70s funk, dubby reggae jams, driving country rock, synth-heavy prog rock, and many more! Video: XPro Styles PAK 6 Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 17 adds 200 new styles to any Band-in-a-Box 2023 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile installation! You'll find 50 each for Rock & Pop, Jazz, and Country. What about the remaining 50? We've added them with a new category: World 1! In Xtra Styles PAK 17, you'll find styles like: laid-back pop country, mellow smooth jazz, '80s new wave, Caribbean reggae, '90s alternative pop, modern jazz fusion, funky Texas blues, Afro-Cuban grooves, and even mariachi-infused Motown... and more! Video: Xtra Styles PAK 14 Demos

Mac User? Click here for your announcement.

NEW - The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 VST DAW Plugin 6.0 for Mac®!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes the new VST DAW Plugin 6.0!

This new Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin has over 20 new features including near instant playback direct from disk, to audition various styles without creating WAV files. You can now load chords from MIDI files. There's support for Shots/Rest/Holds on Utility tracks, and more! For Reaper® DAW users, the Plugin has added built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

Every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® includes the VST DAW Plugin, and all Mac® upgrades are on sale until July 15th!

Save up-to 50% when you upgrade to Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® today - check out the different upgrade options here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac is here with over 50 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, “Songs with Vocals” Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, two new sets of “RealDrums Stems,” and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Upgrade purchases until July 15, 2024 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some incredible Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2024 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 50 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2024 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available, and if you have any questions about your upgrade feel free to connect with us directly!

User Video: Band-in-a-Box® + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!

Since AI is now readily available online as a resource for many things, we recently put together and shared a video where we demonstrated how to create a song using Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V; we've also shared a Bob Doyle Media video, Convert MIDI Chords into AI Vocal Harmonies with ACE Studio and Band in A Box, showing how they utilize AI for their song projects. Now it's time to share Henry's video, Band-in-a-Box + ChatGPT = Impressed the BOSS!, where he demonstrates how to use ChatGPT and Band-in-a-Box to whip a song project together in only 3-4 hours.

Watch the video.

Visit Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite, to find a large collection of tutorials showing the viewer how to achieve amazing results using Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box User Video Tutorials!

If you've reviewed our Support page, you've probably noticed the Videos page, which separates our Band-in-a-Box® tutorial videos by category: Overview, VST DAW Plugin, Setup, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and there's even an Archive category to go down memory lane... (You'll also find these videos on our YouTube Channel.)

It's always great to hear how other Band-in-a-Box® users create their songs, especially when they explain in detail what they're doing. Like Henry Clarke's YouTube Channel, Henry Clarke - Senior Musicians Unite! There you'll find his ALL Band-in-a-Box Tutorials playlist with over 50 videos! His top-three most watched videos include "How to Get Started with Band-in-a-Box," "How I use the Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box," and "How to Create An Effective Solo Using Band-in-a-Box" - however he touches on many other topics and also demonstrates his own Band-in-a-Box® songs in the Band-in-a-Box Created Songs playlist!

You're guaranteed to find some helpful videos when you visit Henry Clarke's channel!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,165
Posts741,474
Members38,683
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SpaDogs, b67, markburnett, Scorpionleader, Steve Hillis
38,681 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)