Print Thread
Go To
#192456 01/29/13 10:39 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
www.xaphoon.com

A friend of mine plays this, it sounds very cool. He has a limited repertoire, but travels and sits and plays on street corners all over (photographer). I'm thinking of downsizing. One for the wife, one for me, the Mini Cooper and a very small hairless dog. My present dog will NOT be happy. LOL. I am kidding about my lab, she's my baby, and in charge of cuddles.

xaphoon players here?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I got a Xaphoon a couple of Christmases back. It's enough like a recorder to cause confusion. The stretch is wider than a recorder, and it took a while to get used to the reach. Because of the stretch, it's less comfortable than playing a recorder.
Unlike the recorder, the back hole isn't an octave hole.

It didn't take long to decide to replace the bamboo reed with an artificial reed. That certainly didn't help the tone, but it lasts a lot longer!

I found intonation to be a challenge, especially in the higher register. I never got that good at it, and haven't played it in a while.

For the price, it's definitely worth getting.

If I had the money, I'd probably get a Clarineo instead. I've not had a chance to play one, but I've got a Nuvo Flute by the same company, and I'm pretty happy with it. From the sound samples, the Clarineo sounds a bit more buzzy and plasticy than the Xaphoon, but it's probably worth it for the expanded range and chromatic scale.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #192458 01/29/13 12:14 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thx David.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I've got one around here somewhere, used to whip it out in jazz combos occasionally instead of the trumpet, sounds enough like a sax to make the sax player mad atcha.

Easy to play, especially if you've ever had any recorder fingering experience.

The big secret is to simply stay within range when improvising. The minor pentatonic scale can go a long way on a xaphoon...

--Mac

Mac #192460 01/30/13 03:39 AM
Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
I want them all - I just love music ; )
...yeah, I know, that's one of the reasons I can't play as well on my 'chosen' instrument...but I don't care, I love music : )

Quote:

"especially if you've ever had any recorder fingering experience."

at about 10, I learned to play the 'snake charmer' song - is that enough ?

...and I'm willing to learn the pentatonic scale.

IMHO - watching a person that plays one instrument well, drop that instrument and pick up another for a brief moment that fits the song...can be very exciting -for both performer and audience (I've seen it done only a couple of times - most guys stay behind one instrument, except for the harmonic -which you'll find on Bruce's or Neil's neck and played at times at the same time as their guitars - lot of musicical bang for the buck with this combo)

Does anybody out their play more than one instrument during a typical performance ? How's that go over with the crowd ?

Joe V #192461 01/30/13 06:14 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My Ex plays the Buffoon, does that count?

Joe V #192462 01/30/13 06:33 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Does anybody out their play more than one instrument during a typical performance ? How's that go over with the crowd ?

Well, Joe, by now you must realize that I'm a multi-instrumentalist, Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Pianos, Organs, Keyboards, Synths, Theremin and, of course, Guitar.

Bob "Notes" Norton is another who frequents this forum, a saxophonist (with the nickname of "One Take Jake") who also plays guitar in his act.

I only will switch instrument if absolutely necessary to make the song happen, though.

Switching instruments can take a toll on the performance, if the instrument you switch over to is not played with as much skill and conviction as the one you started out with. Audiences are people and thus cannot be fooled, which is my way of saying that the audience will see through any attempt to pick up and play another instrument just for the sake of doing so.

The real aspect of the thing is practice, practice, practice - and not rushing to take that second instrument out for performance until you really have worked up the ability to perform on it. That doeswn't necessarily mean "mastering" said instrument, but it does mean that you at least know the instrument well enough to be at home with it in circumstances other than a memorized small repertoire.

That said, over the years (yes, it takes years but this is a labor of love) I have found that spending the time to learn and play a different instrument has other joys associated with it. For example, my piano playing skills jumped up to a new plateau from working out hard on the guitar those many years ago. Working hard to read notation without TAB, I found I had to deal with different note stacks in chords, lots of the more or less standard guitar chord voicings that are easy to grab with the LH on a guitar neck are kind of hidden when confronting the linearity of a keyboard. Single note lines from Trumpet and even Clarinet books yielded guitar drills that greatly improved single note soloing capabilities, note choice, phrasing, etc. Many of the great jazz guitar players mention practicing Horn Solos on the guitar, this to better emulate the phrasing inherent in singing or playing a horn. That concept of playing a line, then the "pause to take a breath" before playing the next line really can change much guitar soloing for the better. You tend not to just keep on playing lines, lines, lines, which, in certain genres may be a good thing, but in others doesn't make for a solo that makes more coherent sense.

--Mac

Mac #192463 01/30/13 12:02 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I watched the video at the NAMM jam . . . kept waiting for the snake to appear.

PS: Mac . . . We need a Rim Shot emoticion

later,

Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
Quote:

lots of the more or less standard guitar chord voicings that are easy to grab with the LH on a guitar neck are kind of hidden when confronting the linearity of a keyboard. Single note lines from Trumpet and even Clarinet books yielded guitar drills that greatly improved single note soloing capabilities, note choice, phrasing, etc. Many of the great jazz guitar players mention practicing Horn Solos on the guitar, this to better emulate the phrasing inherent in singing or playing a horn. That concept of playing a line, then the "pause to take a breath" before playing the next line really can change much guitar soloing for the better. You tend not to just keep on playing lines, lines, lines, which, in certain genres may be a good thing, but in others doesn't make for a solo that makes more coherent sense.

That's a great lesson Mac. I've often wondered why soloing of different instrument players sounds so different - for example horn vs. guitar. At least in part, it's obvious it's the layout of the instrument, and what notes are easy to reach and play. The guitar lends itself to shielding a player from knowing the notes in chords and keys because it's so easy to learn on voicing, and move it all over the neck to change to the corresponding chord in a different key. Also, the guitar having only 6 strings lends itself to tablature - again shielding... The piano does NOT allow this. It is not easy to write tablature for the piano that's as easy to read as guitar tablature. Having 2 hands lends itself to more easily fingered voicings with wide interval skips, and most likely, different chords. Also, on piano, some keys must be much easier to play than others given the difficulty of playing black and white keys at the same time (esp. when a fat middle finger has to play a white key next to a black key that's not being played, and the outer fingers are also on black keys).

Why horn solos sound so different harmonically than guitar - I've no idea, no knowledge. What other types of things do horn players easily do on their instruments that's difficult for guitar players, given the layout of both instruments ? I'm thinking maybe arpegios. I think horn players use these more than (many, not all) guitar players in general. Arpeggios are kind of hard to master on the guitar (if one's teacher does not emphasize and require it - which my early teachers really didn't).

Joe V #192465 01/31/13 06:26 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

<...> Does anybody out their play more than one instrument during a typical performance ? How's that go over with the crowd ?

I currently play saxophone, wind synthesizer, guitar, and flute on the gig. I could do bass and keyboards, but that's too much to schlep. I used to bring a keyboard or a guitar, but now I just bring the guitar - it's lighter in weight, makes for a better visual, and more difficult to put on our backing tracks.

How does it go over? Great! More often than not a few members of the audience are impressed enough to ask, "How many instruments do you play?"

IMHO playing more than one instrument is good for the show and good for the music. That is, as long as you can play them at least decently.

I started doubling on bass many years ago in a cover band when there was no sax part. The bass player in that band also played guitar, so he would pick up the guitar. I learned each song that I doubled on but didn't consider myself a real bass player. Eventually I had a short tour with Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon playing bass.

Eventually I did the same on rhythm guitar and keyboards. Learning the part on the instrument. I'm fortunate, I pick things up quickly.

The limited doubling experience on the bass, rhythm guitar and keyboard sparked my interest in them enough to buy a bass, keyboard, and guitar and to seriously apply myself to them. The many hours spent practicing didn't seem like work, but play. And when you apply yourself to a second or more instrument, it's easier than the first one because you bring your knowledge of music theory along with you. I can now double on any of these in a pop band, but would not venture into a jazz jam with anything but my sax or wind synthesizer.

And as Mac pointed out, learning an additional instrument actually helps you play your first instrument better.

Quote:

<...> What other types of things do horn players easily do on their instruments that's difficult for guitar players, given the layout of both instruments ? I'm thinking maybe arpegios. I think horn players use these more than (many, not all) guitar players in general. Arpeggios are kind of hard to master on the guitar (if one's teacher does not emphasize and require it - which my early teachers really didn't).

No matter what you play, violin, cello, sax, guitar, trombone, etc., if you are playing melody, it's important to phrase and breathe like a good singer. That is what relates to the audience.

But the differences between wind instruments and guitars are sometimes great. It's due to the instrument, not the player, although the better players can overcome many of the limitations of each. Here are a few of the obvious differences between my main wind instrument (sax) and guitar (piano or synth would take another post).

• First the most obvious: guitars can play more than one note at a time, saxes cannot
  • Guitar notes decay after being articulated, sax can hold for as long as the player has wind plus change the volume during the hold (guitars can change the volume with a pedal or a finger on the volume knob, but without the sustain, it's not the same)
  • Guitar is a transposing instrument, change keys, move the hand, fingering is the same. Sax fingers entirely different in each key
  • It's more difficult to read music on the guitar than the sax (I don't do TAB, just regular notation)
  • Guitars are slower instruments than saxophones (woodwinds are especially good at speed), but that doesn't suggest that either one makes better music
  • There are plenty of others, and once you pick up your second instrument, your ears will open up even more, and you will learn them

To quote Charlie Parker, "You don't play the sax, you let it play you." The same goes for all instruments. You learn what that instrument is capable of doing, and you use that to play expressively.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks for the post on the Xaphoon. I think I would also be interested in learning to play it. Currently I play guitar, bass, banjo, and ukulele. Charlie Christian one of the early electric jazz players phrased his lines similiar to the horns. DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

The new Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac® adds over 20 new features!

We show them off in our video: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Free Bonus PAK!

Along with the 50+ new features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we've also released an awesome collection of new Add-ons! On top of the 222 new RealTracks (+50 bonus RealTracks), we've also released new MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, and two new sets of "RealDrums Stems."

Order Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac during our special (which ends July 31st) and you'll receive a Free Bonus PAK that includes a lot of these new Add-ons:
- MIDI Styles Set 88: "Look Ma! More MIDI 11: SynthMaster"
- Instrumental Studies Set 20: New Orleans Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 40: More SynthMaster
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 43: Rock & Pop Keys
- Artist Performance Set 15: Songs with Vocals volume 5
- Playable RealTracks Set 3
- Playable RealDrums Set 2
- SynthMaster Sounds and Styles, with audio demos
- RealCombos 2024 Booster PAK:
*For Pro customers, this includes 35 new RealTracks and 58 new RealStyles.
*For MegaPAK customers, this includes 25 new RealTracks and 45 new RealStyles.
*For UltraPAK customers, this includes 28 new RealStyles.

- RealDrums Stems Set 6: More Pop, Rock & Country

Want even more new Add-ons? Boost your Free Bonus PAK to a 2024 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more new Add-ons to your collection:
- 50 Bonus Unreleased RealTracks & RealDrums
- MIDI Styles Set 89: "Look Ma! More MIDI 12: Funk, Jazz & Blues Keys"
- Instrumental Studies Set 21: '80s Hard Rock Guitar
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 41: Jazz Comping & Soloing Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 42: Soul & New Orleans Keys
- Artist Performance Set 16: Songs with Vocals volume 6
- RealDrums Stems Set 5: Jazz, Latin, Funk & World

Listen to Demos of the Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK: https://youtu.be/ZezLjinyb-4

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features!

Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac includes over 50 new features!

Watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features video, and follow along as we demonstrate how to create a new song from scratch using some of the major new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, like the Chord Progression Builder, the new MultiPicker Library Window, and the new Tracks Window!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Videos: One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we're adding new videos to our YouTube channel. We'll also post them here when they are published so that you can easily find all of our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® videos in one place!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac videos released as-of June 28, 2024 are:

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Everything you need to know in under 8 minutes!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - The New Tracks Window Explained

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - RealCombos Booster PAK Styles Demo

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 222 New RealTracks Overview

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,370
Posts743,720
Members38,757
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members