#219174 10/26/13 11:39 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
O
oggy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
I'm experiencing unpredictable results from my audio drivers and need some advice. PG tech service has gotten me this far but they predicted problems. I think I'm puzzled by the fundamentals of this topic and am hindered by a simplistic view of digital audio. I do want to understand what is happening as much as I want it to work. I'm an electrician and am familiar with wire run lists and schematics but everything about this topic seems to be explained with pages of text. An animated .gif loop would probably explain it better to me.
I have this USB soundbar connected to a usb hub. The sound quality is an improvement over the laptop's speakers but it has no 1/8'' plug. The hub's power save settings have been disabled and the whole laptop is optimized for performance. I have a usb midi controller M-audio 49 keystudio connected to the hub also. This setup has allowed me to enter melody notes with the midi keyboard but with irregular success.
One of the unpredictable symptoms is all the WDM devices will be unavailable sometimes when I reopen BB. Closing all other applications doesn't fix this but restarting BB will sometimes fix it. OR if they are available they will be idle. Or they are available but they will be off. But I haven't made any settings changes. Then the midi keyboard will not send data until I play a song. Then the midi keyboard will play the thru patch sound but I haven't changed any settings. And notice that 2 ASIO4all buttons are in the lower bar. Only one will open...and even though the soundbar is checked unavailable it will sometimes still play sound but the keyboard still won't send data.

A recommendation might be to purchase an audio interface but I'm not recording any audio so why would I need such an interface? I've taken the usb soundbar out of the picture and still experienced the same problems with the laptop speakers. I'm only entering midi data with the controller and the ASIO4All was a latency solution. I already have this little usb micro audio interface that came with the keyboard but it's only a 1/8'' instrument jack and a headphone jack...neither being used so I don't have that plugged in although the driver is installed. I see myself buying a Focusrite audio interface and then leaving it disconnected since I'm not recording audio and having the same problem. Notice that I downloaded the driver for a Focusrite product to see if I could use it as an ASIO alternative. That didn't work because it needs to find the input and output channels...which I would not be using even if I owned the product.

Questions:

1) How is my audio output and usb midi controller related to a third party audio interface for XLR and 1/4'' cables with an exclusive ASIO driver?
2) Do I have to have a Focusrite product plugged in even if I'm not using it to record audio?
3) Does the audio output port have to be exclusive to the product that supplied the ASIO driver?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
sreen.PNG (324.61 KB, 122 downloads)
Last edited by oggy; 10/26/13 11:40 AM.

Everything Pak 2013 for Windows. w/16-pak add ons.
Jazz Guitar Masterclass
Instruments: Guitar and Piano
B.A. music from HSU 2001
M-Audio Keystation 49 USB MIDI controller
Dell Latitude E6500 4GB RAM Windows 7 32bit
ASIO4ALL
Coyote WaveTable
oggy #219176 10/26/13 11:47 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I would first examine your power settings in the Windows Device Manager, and make sure each USB port is Always On.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
oggy #219192 10/26/13 02:41 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
See over in your ASIO Audoe Drivers window where it says,

"ASIO Always On" ?

Try UNchecking that so that other programs you may have open can use the ASIO too.

--Mac

oggy #219243 10/27/13 07:44 AM
Veteran
Veteran
OK.... so....

(This is my opinion, and it has worked wonderfully for me)

You want to ditch the ASIO4ALL and stop trying to use a factory sound card (built in) if you are really serious about making music.

You really should not use a USB hub for any of the music connections to the various devices. Put your printers and mouse and other things on the hub but allow your music stuff to have dedicated USB ports. Using a hub is forcing all the devices on it to share the bandwidth of one USB port, and while that may work ok for office devices, it doesn't work well for musical interfaces and things that need the full attention of that port and it's total bandwidth to operate fully.

Look around and select a dedicated musical interface which uses USB as it's connection to the computer, and be sure it has real ASIO drivers, and of course the number of inputs and outputs you need.... most have a minimum of 2 channels in and at least stereo out. More is better but the cost goes up accordingly. Also, having phantom power and nice audio preamps such as my Focusrite Saffire has is important.... very important too if you will be using decent condenser mics.

Yes, you will want to have the interface connected all the time when you are working on music in BB, RB, and especially if you are using 3rd party DAWs such as Sonar or some other brand. I say that and it's generally true but I have often worked on my Dell lappy using it's internal soundcard and MME driver while composing and writing songs in BB. I never use the factory card for my Sonar software because it doesn't work well. I still have and use the lappy but I also have a custom built DAW which only uses the focusrite for all sound.

The interface will have it's own software control panel and will use ASIO drivers and all your connections, inputs for 1/4" guitar inputs and XLR cables will be on the interface. The interface will generally have one or two headphone outs and line level outputs which can be connected to self powered studio reference speakers or some other sort of amp/speaker combo for monitoring and recording.

I think I answered all of the questions you posed.

Buying an interface is one of the best things you can do for your music.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/27/13 07:45 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
oggy #219255 10/27/13 10:37 AM
O
oggy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
I did uncheck that "ASIO always on" box without much success. And the USB ports/hubs are always on and the keyboard and bb are plugged directly to the laptop. All the audio and data drops and program crashes were unpredictable and I kept going in circles to fix the problem. Just now I tried to open it and none of the WDM devices were on so there was no audio. I rebooted the program and they still weren't on. I went to the audio drivers and no output ports were available. I clicked on ASIO4All until my laptop speakers (not the soundbar) showed up. I chose them and tried to apply the change and the program crashed.

Yes, a usb interface is in my future. I'm looking at a focusrite 2i2 scarlett as a start as My aspirations are modest. I figured I would learn the limitations of my current set up and I've learned them. I didn't think this MIDI controller would complicate things so much but it's equipped for easy implementation with pro tools...not BB. When is PGMusic going to start offering proprietary midi keyboards?

So I'll need the audio interface plugged in and that will mean some studio monitors or headphones. There is no way to reliably record even midi data without another usb interface connected because the audio output port is so important?

No doubt the ASIO4All is glitchy. Sometimes it works, sometimes I have to reboot. and sometimes rebooting shuts down the WDM. It eventually works but is not reliable on my particular equipment.

Jazz Guitar Masterclass
B.A. music from HSU 2001
ASIO4ALL
Coyote WaveTable
oggy #220328 11/06/13 10:29 PM
O
oggy Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O
This M-Audio adapter came with the keyboard and I went ahead and connected it and it did make the audio output more reliable through the headphones. There are still some glitches with preview sound of the keyboard patches but the program doesn't crash now. It will have to work until I buy a more advanced audio interface.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
100_9179.JPG (552.79 KB, 67 downloads)
Last edited by oggy; 11/06/13 10:30 PM.

Jazz Guitar Masterclass
B.A. music from HSU 2001
ASIO4ALL
Coyote WaveTable
oggy #220358 11/07/13 08:16 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Your last two posts describe a situation that leads me to suspect the Drivers in use for your current sound device.

There may be a driver update released for that device, worth hitting the mfr's support website to see, and if the drivers listed there for your OS are a different version than the ones you are currently running, worth a download and install to see if performance does improve. Driver update is reversible, so worth trying.

"Drivers, Drivers, Drivers..." (Bill Rule's rule, from somewhere around '98, still lives on.)

--Mac

oggy #220442 11/08/13 01:03 AM
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I plenty of times just use the laptop internal sound card. HD audio is as good as I can hear. smile

Here's a little info, ASIO4ALL is a wrapper around WDM/KS. It presents to the audio application and ASIO device. It presents to the audio device WDM/KS. It can do this because it takes "Exclusive Control" of the WDM/KS device. Not sharing means it doesn't have to do as much work. Applications like BIAB only need to code to ASIO since ASIO4ALL exists.

Here's an example to understand MME. First go into BIAB and pick the MME driver. Make sure it's working with your standard HD sound card with the BIAB play button.

Now in BIAB -> Opt -> Preferences down by the OK key pick "Allow multiple instances of Band-in-a-Box to be running". Exit, then start BIAB. Now start another BAIB. You should have two up on the screen. Click the Play button in either or both and you'll hear either or both at the same time.

I actually have a use for this. One BIAB can be fading out while the next one starts. DJ mode" smile

MME can do this because it does lots of buffering. Terrible latency. And it will start glitching if you try to send to much to the MME driver from several applications.

Now go into one of those BIAB instances and set it to ASIO4ALL pointing to the same audio device. For example if the MME is pointing to HD Audio, set ASIO4ALL to point to the same HD Audio device.

Note you should only ever bring up the ASIO4ALL control panel from the "ASIO Driver's Control Panel" button inside BIAB. Same for any application using ASIO4ALL. For some reason ASIO4ALL let's you install a standalone control panel - but as the instructions say "It's worthless". The application, like BIAB, are going to control the ASIO part - and override anything you do in the standalone ASIO4ALL control panel. I only note this because you're screen shots show the ASIO4ALL control panel the the BIAB menus to navigate to it are not showing. I'd recommend re-installing ASIO4ALL and don't pick to install the standalone control panel.

Back to BIAB
Now you got one BIAB set to ASIO4ALL, and another set to MME. Start one BIAB it should have audio. Stop it, start the other and it too should have audio. Try to start both and Only one will play at a time. The reason is ASIO4ALL needs exclusive control of the WDM/KS device.

This is true for any ASIO device, even ones with their own drivers. Only one application at a time through the particular ASIO device.

The good thing is BIAB is good about only taking control of the ASIO only when it needs it. Like when you hit play. You can have to BIAB started, both pointing to the same ASIO, and as long as you play only one at a time it will behave well.

Other applications don't behave so well. When they grab the WDM/KS device they don't release it. Closing the application window may not close all parts of the app that started and it hangs onto the port. Other application may be coax to be nice by going to the control panel -> Sound -> Pick the device -> Properties -> Advanced and uncheck "Allow applications to tkae exclusive control of this device". Now the other apps may be nicer and disconnect from the device when they're not playing audio, but don't count on it. And as noted in the above with ASIO4ALL turned on, it itself is not going to run audio unless it get's exclusive control.

I can use this though to run an Ableton Live and BIAB at the same time using the same ASIO4ALL and audio device. BIAB only takes the ASIO when it's playing. And Ableton can be told to release the ASIO by clicking on the CPU Load Meter box, with the % on it. With Ableton audio engine off BIAB can play, with Ablton audio engine on, BIAB won't interfere unless I play a song.

Hint here, with MidiOx I can set the same Midi keyboard to "Y" it's connection to both.

I'll note I also have Sonar also and it has built in WDM/KS support. No ASIO is needed for low latency. Same problem though either Sonar or BAIB w/ASIO4ALL can have the WDM/KS. I have to stop the Sonar audio engine (the sinewave button) to use the same device with ASIO4ALL with BIAB.

If you have multiple AUDIO devices with WDM/KS you can run multiple ASIO4ALL from different apps, each sending to it's own device. In this case a small external mixer can be used to combine audio at a very simple level.

You can do the same with multiple interfaces that have ASIO.

One thing ASIO4ALL can do over regular ASIO drivers is combine all the WDM/KS into one big ASIO interface. If you have a 2 channel eternal audio interface, and want to record from it and your PC line in at the same time in the same DAW. ASIO4ALL can wrap the external WDM/KS device drivers, and the internal PC sound card into one big interface. Nice when/if you need it.

Hope this helps. I should go wire up some "220, 221, whatever it takes" to make my PC faster. smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

The new Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac® adds over 20 new features!

We show them off in our video: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Free Bonus PAK!

Along with the 50+ new features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we've also released an awesome collection of new Add-ons! On top of the 222 new RealTracks (+50 bonus RealTracks), we've also released new MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, and two new sets of "RealDrums Stems."

Order Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac during our special (which ends July 31st) and you'll receive a Free Bonus PAK that includes a lot of these new Add-ons:
- MIDI Styles Set 88: "Look Ma! More MIDI 11: SynthMaster"
- Instrumental Studies Set 20: New Orleans Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 40: More SynthMaster
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 43: Rock & Pop Keys
- Artist Performance Set 15: Songs with Vocals volume 5
- Playable RealTracks Set 3
- Playable RealDrums Set 2
- SynthMaster Sounds and Styles, with audio demos
- RealCombos 2024 Booster PAK:
*For Pro customers, this includes 35 new RealTracks and 58 new RealStyles.
*For MegaPAK customers, this includes 25 new RealTracks and 45 new RealStyles.
*For UltraPAK customers, this includes 28 new RealStyles.

- RealDrums Stems Set 6: More Pop, Rock & Country

Want even more new Add-ons? Boost your Free Bonus PAK to a 2024 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more new Add-ons to your collection:
- 50 Bonus Unreleased RealTracks & RealDrums
- MIDI Styles Set 89: "Look Ma! More MIDI 12: Funk, Jazz & Blues Keys"
- Instrumental Studies Set 21: '80s Hard Rock Guitar
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 41: Jazz Comping & Soloing Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 42: Soul & New Orleans Keys
- Artist Performance Set 16: Songs with Vocals volume 6
- RealDrums Stems Set 5: Jazz, Latin, Funk & World

Listen to Demos of the Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK: https://youtu.be/ZezLjinyb-4

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features!

Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac includes over 50 new features!

Watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features video, and follow along as we demonstrate how to create a new song from scratch using some of the major new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, like the Chord Progression Builder, the new MultiPicker Library Window, and the new Tracks Window!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Videos: One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we're adding new videos to our YouTube channel. We'll also post them here when they are published so that you can easily find all of our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® videos in one place!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac videos released as-of June 28, 2024 are:

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Everything you need to know in under 8 minutes!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - The New Tracks Window Explained

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - RealCombos Booster PAK Styles Demo

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 222 New RealTracks Overview

XPro & Xtra Styles Sets On Sale Until July 31st!

Save up-to 40% when you purchase XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs before July 31, 2024!

The most recent XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box® 2023 or higher include additional Styles for Band-in-a-Box® that work seamlessly with your project. We offer XPro Styles PAKs that work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® package, and Xtra Styles PAKs for UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile users!

We recently released a combined total of 300 new Styles in XPro Styles PAK 6 and Xtra Styles PAK 17!

Each PAK can be purchased for $29: Order XPro Styles PAKs | Order Xtra Styles PAKs

The 100 new styles added with XPro Styles PAK 6 include 25 Rock & Pop, 25 Jazz, 25 Country, and 25 Progressive Rock! These add styles like funky soul jazz, uplifting pop-rock, 12-8 country ballads, hard and heavy progressive rock, '70s funk, dubby reggae jams, driving country rock, synth-heavy prog rock, and many more! Video: XPro Styles PAK 6 Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 17 adds 200 new styles to any Band-in-a-Box 2023 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile installation! You'll find 50 each for Rock & Pop, Jazz, and Country. What about the remaining 50? We've added them with a new category: World 1! In Xtra Styles PAK 17, you'll find styles like: laid-back pop country, mellow smooth jazz, '80s new wave, Caribbean reggae, '90s alternative pop, modern jazz fusion, funky Texas blues, Afro-Cuban grooves, and even mariachi-infused Motown... and more! Video: Xtra Styles PAK 14 Demos

Mac User? Click here for your announcement.

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,356
Posts743,561
Members38,752
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Skeuo, KaiPi, Dave Linehan, Krsna, JoshuaPolak
38,751 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 117