On my Larrivee, I have an LR Baggs, under saddle, with the notch filter system, It all starts with a quality guitar of course. When I want live fx, I use a phase shifter I use the Behringer, but the MXR is probably better. I set it to minimum settings, just to get a hint of the effect. I usually run the guitar thru a compressor first, I have found that my Ashdown bass compressor works best for my liking. Its a dual band compressor and allows me to adjust for the sound I want.

For recording, I usually record direct to board dry, and use plugins, or I will mic the guitary with two condensers into two channels and eq them and pan them differently. Of course this is for serious work only, usually im to lazy to do all that set up in my limited space. I used do go to the vocal booth with a C-414 and play the accoustic stuff that way, but I don't do much studio stuff anymore and don't have a vocal booth.

Just keep experimenting with simple setups until you find the sound you like. I have found that for accoustic, the guitar makes the difference. It is after all an accoustic guitar. Fx are just afterthoughts and should be used only when and where they are needed.