Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22844 05/11/09 08:57 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Anyone experience loss of embouchure due to lipitore? A friend of mine (horn player) quit taking it over the problem.

I'm into 5 mg of crestor and oatmeal for breakfast with a kipper. A month now and nothing to report. Doc says that's like a baby dose, but they found hardening of the arteries in my neck and plaque.

Just curious about lipitor given John's problem.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
While I can appreciate loss of embouchure as a terrible thing, anyone who is taking Lipitor or any other drug prescribed by a doctor should consult the doctor before stopping the medication. There may be alternatives available that do not have that side effect.

On the other hand, loss of that control may be an indication of something far more serious that your friend should have checked out.

When I was taking Lipitor, I don't recall any unusual side effects, but it's been a while, and I forget how much I was taking.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Any medication may produce side effects as you build blood serum levels and tolerance. There is a wide enough selection of pharmaceuticals for most common conditions that significant long-term side effects should not have to be endured.

In dealing with health care, just as with any other service, remember that you are the boss. If your doctor isn't listening to you--about side effects or anything else--fire him and get another.

Now, for the real story on side effects, read this piece by authority Dr. Steve Martin.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John. Twice, different doctors have started me on Lipitor. Each time was a disaster; within two days I felt like I had the flu, only worse. However, my embouchure was not affected (but since everything else hurt, I really didn't care to play anyway). Two other medications used subsequently have no side effects for me.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I never heard the term "embouchure" until I got on this forum. Am I correct is assuming that "embouchure" is what my horn playing brothers referred to as "their lip?"

Don S.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
tried lipitor, zocor and many others. made my leg muscle so weak that i couldn't walk from house to car about 50 feet. legs and feet swelled and turned blue. wife's sister had same reaction as well as other friends. doc took me off all meds except 1 baby aspirin (81mg) and i'm doing okay now.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I never heard the term "embouchure" until I got on this forum. Am I correct is assuming that "embouchure" is what my horn playing brothers referred to as "their lip?"

Don S.

Basically, yes.

French for the muscles of the mouth and how they address a wind instrument mouthpiece.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Pretty much, but it is a more encompassing term than just "lip". It refers to all the musculature and other tissue involved and applies to ALL wind players, not just brass. E.G woodwind, reed etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embouchure

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Basically, yes.

French for the muscles of the mouth and how they address a wind instrument mouthpiece.

--Mac

if it can affect one's leg muscles then it can surely affect the facial ones. stands to reason.

i couldn't spit so those muscles were affected too.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Don S.

Basically, yes.

--Mac

One would think that a medication called "LIP itor" would be beneficial to "da lip" of a horn-player . . . just something else to confuse me I guess.

Later,

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Quote:

One would think that a medication called "LIP itor" would be beneficial to "da lip" of a horn-player . . . just something else to confuse me I guess.

Groan.

Don S.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Later,

Ok Danny, do you think asphalt is hemorrhoids?

An apple a day is bullcrap. Apples are dangerous. Just look at Eve, Snow White, or any pig at a luau.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
So the doc says "You're gonna have to go on Worf-arin. And there are side effects." I said "What? Will it make me look Klingon?" "No but you'll have a craving for gagh." Look that up in your Funk 'n Wiki.

A little Trekkie humour . . . .very little.

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Over my head.

As to the Lipitor I can't pin any symptom on taking it. My feet are swelling more than usual, but that can just be the age thing.

Anymore than 4 hours on the feet is torture, unless I stick to the bush and I'm good for all day. Malls and pavement are torture.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John, gagh is a Klingon dish of parasitic serpent worms, eaten live in a sauce. You probably can't find it at the mall food court, anyway.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
FWIW: I've taken Lipitor for over 10 years. My doc told me that any side effects would show up in 2 weeks. After that, any other complaints that I might have would be something else rather than the Lipitor.

Don S.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Care to instruct 'em on the proper way to return the gagh and get really fresh ones, Matt?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Care to instruct 'em on the proper way to return the gagh and get really fresh ones, Matt?

Thanks Mac! I just had lunch. That mind picture wasn't something I needed right now! LOL

Maybe some Klingon Opera to go with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLXCE0d_kI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9FuyEB60zs&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6HBlvu3AsM&feature=related

Gary

Last edited by Gary Curran; 05/13/09 01:01 PM.

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Quote:

Pretty much, but it is a more encompassing term than just "lip". It refers to all the musculature and other tissue involved and applies to ALL wind players, not just brass. E.G woodwind, reed etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embouchure

You mean to say that by flexing my embouchure, it doesn't have any effect on the piano keys and the sound of the piano?

And so, all these years going through facial contortions hasn't done me any good?

That's just rotten.

Glenn

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Facial contortions work best on B3 organ soloing.

Check out youtube, Joey Defrancesco, for more on that.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,838
Posts749,986
Members38,913
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Matthew zazinga, Eulipion2, TINABENSON, MichielWillemse, lucap
38,912 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
rsdean 129