Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice work on the write.

Production nits seemed to bring it down.

Got to agree with others on the vox. The vocals don't even sound like they are a part of the same song. EQ is wrong, reverb is heavy and it kinda has a track doubling sound to it as well. It would work well on a John Lennon cover song but not in an intimate love song. Forget all the little tricks and gimmicks...just record a straight up vocal, sing close to the mic with a pop filter and only use a slight low cut (high pass) on the EQ. Keep the verb low.

I also heard the "gate" dcuny mentioned. Gates serve a useful purpose, but 98% of the time are not needed in studio environments. In this song, it is quite obvious the vox are either gated or poorly edited with envelopes. Since it's on the vocals, and you really need to record the vocal track again..... whatever you did there, don't do it the next time round.

I use a "process audio>mute" function in some of my songs... because yes, in a studio, with a hot condenser mic, you will get quite a few undesirable sounds into the track.... lip smacks, studio sounds, cars outside, the dog barking..... so it is acceptable to "clean up" the silence in the vocal track, but be sure you are not killing the reverb tails and other important things.

How I do this.... FYI: I leave the tracks 100% dry. No FX at all. I send the vocal tracks to a vocal buss and that is where the reverb and whatever else I have for processing is located. This allows me to cut off sharply in the track but since the reverb is in the buss, the tails live on. Dry tracks allow me to do other things in the tracks and apply it without printing permanently any EQ or reverb in the track.

All in all, a good song. I'd suggest taking the time to redo the vocal track and post it again.

edit: dang me.... forgot the last one...literally. Edit the drum track to stop in the correct place. It played a measure past where it should have ended.

Thanks Herb,
I'm glad that you weighed in on this, I've read some of your posts, especially the one on Taxi and understand that you know your stuff and have good advice to offer. I appreciate the positive statements here and that you took the time to tell how how you go about recording, solid advice for anyone here. As I've said this was recorded over a year ago and I've improved many of my technics since then but still have much to learn. I really appreciate learning how someone else goes about it because I'm self-taught for the most part in this. I hope you listen and comment on future songs I post as I value your opinions and comments.
Thanks,
Kenny

cubanpete #310479 09/15/15 05:18 AM
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hi Kenny, nice song and production. Agree with the "excess" or reverb, otherwise, nicely done.

Mike B.

Thanks for listening and commenting.
Kenny

AudioTrack #310480 09/15/15 05:20 AM
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Really easy to listen to. The lyrics are very well done. The mix and melody and the harmonies all work nicely. Overall you'd be pretty happy.

Hey, thanks for the kind words and listen.

Kenny

Rob4580 #310481 09/15/15 05:21 AM
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Originally Posted By: gibson
Kenny,

this is almost a love song so maybe reduce the reverb (or even the top eq) on the lead vocals to make it more intimate. The vocal itself is good.
nice oohs!

nice song and I like the harmonic type sound at the end.

I enjoyed it a lot.

Alyn

I agree with the above comments.
Keep up the good work. Rob

Thanks Rob,
Appreciate your listen and support.
Kenny

User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
After reading all of the above and listening
I certainly agree that it is a strong song
lyrically and vocally and well deserving of a
new vocal production.

Like that bridge!!

J&B

Thanks,
Oh man, I'm punch drunk from apologizing for trying to clean up a bad botched vocal recording, but it tells me how much I appreciate this site, honest and helpful advice. I appreciate you guys very much, the bridge was my favorite part of this, thanks for the comments and support.
Kenny

44kfl #310628 09/16/15 12:13 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice song. I look forward to see where you take if you decide to revisit it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,791
Posts749,387
Members38,889
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
bleaver, John247hour, salvaz, Jeff272, alexisguerrero
38,888 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 134