I was just about to point him to that blindskunk site

Assuming he WAS talking about having one of those generic USB to MIDI cables like in your SECOND photo.

Next I was going to have him double check that mini CD he has to double check to see if that file was a indeed a .ini or really a .inf (which IS a windows device driver installer)

If he didn't have that "USB to MIDI cable" I was trying to figure out how he ever got the SC-55 to plug directly into ANY PC without some kind of a MIDI port interface? The 5 pin MIDI cable was sure not plugged into any USB port directly!

========
Related but off a little: Why does everyone need, or panic, over having/not having specific driver for ANY external MIDI gear? As far as I know all (99.99%) MIDI synths and FX come with 5 pin connections? What folks REALLY need are good PC to MIDI port devices. NOW those devices might need current drivers (especially if they are multi-port devices, or perform other functions - like audio, word/sync clocks, etc. ), more than specific mfg. drivers for this or that synth or FX.

Yes, it is convenient for proprietary purpose-built editors, and yes you lose (POSSIBLY) digital audio I/O (my Motif doesn't use audio over USB anyway). but I'm still running MIDI gear that was built BEFORE WINDOWS 3.1, let alone 64 bit windows. So, I run all my MIDI HW over 5 pin DIN MIDI cables via multiple MIDI patch bays and I don't care what version or bit count the OS is now at.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 11/04/15 02:42 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20