Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
Expert
OP Offline
Expert

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Veteran
Veteran
I bet I can tell you how to get just as good of results a lot cheaper.

1. Get a media player (such as BiaB or RealBand), install your library of music you love.

2. Pick up YOUR instrument.

3. Play along with your favorite songs.

4. When you make a mistake, back the song up a few seconds and try again.

5. If the song is too fast, slow it down.

6. Repeat steps 1 - 5 until desired results are achieved.

Seriously, as long as I can remember there have been various learning systems but nothing works better than practice and desire.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1113) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
My honest opinion is that a lot of this is BS!

One thing that caught my ear is the music education hasn't changed in over a century. Again BS! Look at all of the teaching aids around today. Many more instruction books, videos and Internet sources. Also some of the chord structure today is a lot different, in other words more complicated, than it was in the early 1900s.

Maybe someone with an extremely good ear could play the example he showed but the average guy probably not. Also with out some music theory they wouldn't know about inversions.

Many self-taught play by ear musicians do not have the proper techniques. I have seen this many times.

Every non-reading musician that I personally knew in the 60s no longer plays and hasn't played in a long long time. Everyone that could read is still playing. I should clarify that by saying every keyboardist, guitarist and a few horn players are still playing as many band musicians stop after high school or college.

Get a good instructor and practice, practice and practice. There are no short cuts. You must really want to play to put in the time to be a good musician.

A good instructor will teach the proper techniques, throw in theory, aim your lesson to your needs and what you want to play and teach you to improvise/jam.

Jim's method to play by ear is the best method. Today you have tools that slow the tempo but keep the pitch the same. We didn't have that or the tabs back in my day. I ruined a lot of my albums by listening to a short section of the song, picking up the needle, try to copy it, try to put the needle down in the exact spot and repeat. Scratch city!

My opinion is that a good musician can play, a better one can read and the best can read and improvise (play by ear) and to improvise they need to know some theory. I know that there are a few exceptions to the rule but not many.

YMMV

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Agreed there is a lot of BS on the site. So many american sites go on this 'hold on, I am letting you into a secret... hold on....hold on some more... give me money, marketing BS.

AND
I paid the money and no PDF yet

BUT>>>

If this huy has a system for passing chords so that you can find a suitable passing chord for any chromatic tone, I should like to know.

I already have the theory. Lately I have been working 30 or so spirituals around all the keys on my (gorgeous) Hammond. I do this purely by ear. Basically it's all I IV V inversions. and melodic fills. I need to branch out to chordal exotica. If he can help me that would be worth the BS

Z

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Did you see the video on passing chords?

Z

Veteran
Veteran
I just listened and what I saw was theory written below the video, i.e. Amb5 etc. Again I still believe one should learn to play their instrument with theory and not fake it.

If one want to learn passing chords I would suggest some approaches that I myself use.

Study the jazz classics. There are some very interesting chord progressions in them.

Study chord substitution. For example substitute an Cmaj7, Am, or an Em for a C. Tritone substitutes are one progression to learn.

Try all kinds of chord progressions in BiaB. This approach I like and use a lot. It's immediate feedback.

Look for half step resolutions. This is an important one IMHO.

Also look for similar notes in passing chords, for example C to Ab to Am7 to D7 all have a C note in them.

There are a lot of free things that you can do and after listening to the passing chord video I think this is a money rip off. YMMV

PS - have you tried the ultimate passing chord, as named in a guitar magazine? It is a Caug/Gb. Yes that is C-E-G#-Gb. this is a perfect passing chord leading to a Fmaj7!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
My honest opinion is that a lot of this is BS!

One thing that caught my ear is the music education hasn't changed in over a century. Again BS! Look at all of the teaching aids around today. Many more instruction books, videos and Internet sources. Also some of the chord structure today is a lot different, in other words more complicated, than it was in the early 1900s.

Maybe someone with an extremely good ear could play the example he showed but the average guy probably not. Also with out some music theory they wouldn't know about inversions.

Many self-taught play by ear musicians do not have the proper techniques. I have seen this many times.

Every non-reading musician that I personally knew in the 60s no longer plays and hasn't played in a long long time. Everyone that could read is still playing. I should clarify that by saying every keyboardist, guitarist and a few horn players are still playing as many band musicians stop after high school or college.

Get a good instructor and practice, practice and practice. There are no short cuts. You must really want to play to put in the time to be a good musician.

A good instructor will teach the proper techniques, throw in theory, aim your lesson to your needs and what you want to play and teach you to improvise/jam.

Jim's method to play by ear is the best method. Today you have tools that slow the tempo but keep the pitch the same. We didn't have that or the tabs back in my day. I ruined a lot of my albums by listening to a short section of the song, picking up the needle, try to copy it, try to put the needle down in the exact spot and repeat. Scratch city!

My opinion is that a good musician can play, a better one can read and the best can read and improvise (play by ear) and to improvise they need to know some theory. I know that there are a few exceptions to the rule but not many. YMMV

While I admit I was trying to be funny (as in ha ha funny) in my response I really believe you just can't beat practice. You need to practice listening as well as practice doing. Like Mario, I ruined many records as I learned songs. One trick use to be playing a 45 rpm at 33 1/3 rpm to memorize a riff or licks then change back to regular speed to practice.

Learning some music theory helps understand what you're hearing or trying to play. I agree with Mario that it is best to find a good teacher to help guide you through your musical journey but sometimes that is easier said than done. I can say that, from what little I know from the forum, I believe I would enjoy having Mario as a teacher and am sure his students consider themselves lucky.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1113) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JimFogle

Seriously, as long as I can remember there have been various learning systems but nothing works better than practice and desire.

Jim, you nailed it with those last three words.
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
I can say that, from what little I know from the forum, I believe I would enjoy having Mario as a teacher and am sure his students consider themselves lucky.

First thank you for the extremely nice comment!

I'm positive that if we ever jammed together we both would learn something new. Of course it can be hard to teach this old dog a new trick wink

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,096
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 203