I appreciate the helpful discussion and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

But what I will say is this: I've learned very complicated software before in my field and at first had lots of trouble navigating their complexity. After I get some help, whether through a tutorial or my own perseverance, I look back and say, "Now I see why the UI was designed that way and it makes sense. It's hard, but this was a good way to design it." So I don't expect instant gratification or complete knowledge of the UI at first glance, but am able to recognize how a UI can help me do what I want with the software. When I figure out something new in BIAB, I look back and say, "That took a lot of work and the UI didn't really help me much and in some cases got in my way. Next time I'll just have to memorize the steps I took."

That's my experience with two different software, both very complex and approached with an open mind and the willingness to work hard at understanding, yet resulting in very different conclusions. Take it for what it's worth, but that's my experience and unfortunately I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this.