Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
mrgeeze Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert

I've used mp3gain some and think it will be helpful going forward

mp3gain suggests a target normal output of 89db.
Reading various forums I see a lot of folks who opt for much higher output levels (say 93-95) db.

Certainly output db might depend on your genre of music.
I guess EDM people would opt for more db

My stuff is all over the map from jazz,zappa,freddie king,roy buchanan,bluegrass,country,etc.

Any opinions on this topic?

biab2024(Mac) Latest Build
Mac OS Sonoma 14.5
Apple M2 pro 32GB Ram
Logic Pro 11
Expert
Expert
I set my MP3gain to 90. I find this setting makes it easy to blend my guitar in with the backing tracks when playing live. My Guitar is plugged into a USB audio interface and I use TH3 as an amp sim. I use a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller to control the TH3. This then simply plugs into the PA all balanced and with all the backing tracks about the same level, I have no need to dive for a volume knob on the PA.

That is my method

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
I was finding a lot of volume adjusting when playing along with my MP3 tracks. So I tried the MP3Gain to get the tracks to around the same level. I still thought them a bit low so i boosted them. Then someone on the forum said something about clipping so quick check shows that virtually all my tracks show a tick in the clip column. So that's a bad thing, I think. I was more worried about not being loud enough but now I'm thinking I'll have to review and drop the levels. Old dogs new tricks.

Expert
Expert
The trick is to get the levels right before converting them to MP3. If for example you were to simply export the tracks from BIAB, give them a rough mix without lowering the levels exported from BIAB your track will almost certainly be clipping when converted to MP3. When exporting to wav and the normalise option is used the tracks come out very hot. Each track at 0 dB the overall mix at or over 0 dB. Whilst you may get away with this with a wav file when converting to MP3 you will almost certainly get clipping.

For MP3 you really don’t want a peak level at 0 dB probably -1.2 dB true peak might avoid clipping but even that is close to the mark. To get the song to a good level, initially drop the levels when mixing then lift them as a final stage in mastering. Use a limiter bring the overall mix to -1.5 dB or if the limiter shows true peak -1.3 dB or so. Using a limiter it is possible to get an overall “louder” song but you lose dynamics.

The stuff I do does not really hit the limiter much but it is below -1.3 dB. If I have the overall level too low then lift it in MP3gain it can result in clipping. Often it is only drums clipping and you probably would not hear that happening. Using a LUFS meter and bringing the tracks to about -14 LUFS pretty much does away with clipping and also avoids the need to lift songs in MP3gain.

The Youlean LUFS meter will in fact indicate where the clipping points are.

IMHO
Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 06/06/19 02:25 AM.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Hi Tony, Thanks I'll try to get my head around that. I do make sure the Normalise is checked when I render the MP3. I had better go back to the beginning and reload each of my songs into BIAB then start with the mixer levels. If I recall my BIAB seems to set the various vol levels at 90 when I select a style. I'm not sure what the 90 means and I don't know much about digital and theory. If I leave it like that the MP3 seems to be quiet soft so I have set the main slider at the bottom of the mixer to 10 for all songs. That's too high then? I have tried to change by loading a set of MP3 back tracks into MP3Gain and lowering the level a little at a time until the Vol column shows no more clipping ticks. Tonight I'll save that to my tablet and see how it sounds into the mixer. I did notice that compared to the other inputs into the mixer (mic and guitar) the tablet with the MP3 tracks on has to be cranked up very high. Too much thinking makes my head ache.

mrgeeze Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I've completed about 10 tracks now and am starting to get it dialed in a little better.
I mix the tracks in biab using the simple mixer.
Stereo, not normalized, volume not too hot
I export single instrument wav files and import to a project in my DAW (logic pro)
With a limiter and a LUFS meter on the stereo out I tweak final volume levels.
sometimes a quick eq if the cymbals are a bit too noisy

With practice I find that my mp3 output (bounce) from Logic needs little or no adjustment in mp3gain.

Good stuff.

Lots left to do

biab2024(Mac) Latest Build
Mac OS Sonoma 14.5
Apple M2 pro 32GB Ram
Logic Pro 11
Expert
Expert
See this video by Kenny Gioia. It is about Reaper but similar applies in other DAWs. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=setting+k14+metering+in+reaper&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari#kpvalbx=1

I set the ceiling to -1.3 when converting to MP3 but the principle applies. I use Reaper when mixing. I have the meter set so that 0 is 14 LUFS. However I still check using the Youlean LUFS meter (you can get it free from Youlean himself).

I use Izotope Neutron and Ozone which assist even more but you can do it with free tools. The real advantage to the Izotope stuff is interaction between modules that does not happen with free tools.

I export out of BIAB setting all tracks to flat, centred and normalised. Then drop all track levels so that I can adjust them, then they are mixed and they come up approximately -6 dB before hitting the limiter. Set the ceiling of the limiter to -1.3 dB true peak then gradually raise the level until the LUFS meter shows just under 14 but over 16. At that point all is fine.

It takes a few goes but it will work fine and is quick once you get used to doing it.

Tony

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,890
Posts750,654
Members38,930
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
tikatika, Hack Buster Recove, joshithoms, JeansKeyzhu, DMD
38,930 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
DC Ron 121