Page 1 of 2 1 2
#564524 11/16/19 11:08 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Here is my latest contribution to the Showcase:

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172/lazy-dayz

It's a slow-medium bluesy piece with a touch of country. The melody is carried largely by Hammond organ, with trombone/brass handling the middle 8 sections.
The backing features great guitar solo work by Jack Pearson and tasty acoustic guitar backing by Brent Mason. There is also some nice organ accompaniment by Jeff Young and beautiful pedal steel by Steve Hinson.
I would be grateful if you would give Lazy Dayz a couple of 'playz'.
As always, comments, criticism and suggestions are encouraged.
Thanks,
Mike

THE BAND:
RT2622:Organ, Rhythm FunkSwing16 Sw16 085
RealBass 533: Bass, Electric, 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
RT2674:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Blues12-8Brent Sw 065
RealGuitar 627: Pedal Steel, Background 12-8 Crystal Sw 0
RealSoloist 422: Guitar, Electric, Soloist Blues Sw 120 (Jack Pearson)
RealDrums-CountryShuffle128^7-Snare,Ride

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Mike,

for a blues lover like me this is a very enjoyable tune. Great choice of solos. Very nicely done!

Cheers,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's begging for a vocal track Mike.
Cool stuff but the organ carried melody is REALLY disorienting as it pans. I love Leslie speakers and univibe rotation but that's a little weird for a melody.
Cool stuff though - and PLEASE drop a vocal on it.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Mike,

for a blues lover like me this is a very enjoyable tune. Great choice of solos. Very nicely done!

Cheers,

Stefan

Thanks Stefan. Always great to hear from you.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: rayc
It's begging for a vocal track Mike.
Cool stuff but the organ carried melody is REALLY disorienting as it pans. I love Leslie speakers and univibe rotation but that's a little weird for a melody.
Cool stuff though - and PLEASE drop a vocal on it.

Thanks mate for your suggestion re vocal track but there are two problems:
1) I'm not a singer
2) I'm not a lyricist
But you might be right; despite local friends and family describing Lazy Dayz as one of my best songs/arrangements, it's only received a couple of views and plays since I put it up on User Showcase a couple of days ago.
Ah well, back to the drawing board.
Cheers, and thanks again,
Mike

Mike Garry

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Mike,

This is a nice song to feel yourself lazy as can be! Very nice sologuitar, but also good playing of the other instruments. that makes this a good song. But... as Ray wrote it needs vocals in it!
To me you don't need to go back to the drawing board as you wrote, the song sounds really good. Well... maybe some more bass, a stronger melody for the piano, greater percussion and louder sologuitar (no, I'm joking!). It is a good song, only those vocals...

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mike,

I gave it a couple of "playz", I listened yesterday too but didn't have time to comment.

I see a few people mentioned adding vocals. I'm like you, I don't sing and I'm not that great at writing lyrics. I have done lots of instrumentals in the past, at one time that's all I did, and I find it works best if you keep them short, around 3:00 or so. Hard to keep up listener interest with an instrumental if you go much longer than that in my opinion.

Overall a well arranged song, enjoyed the listen.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Nicely done! Love that classic blues vibe here, and the hint of country influence works well too. I can imagine a singer doing some justice to it for sure, but I definitely think it holds its weight as an instrumental as well.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Great tracks Mike...
I enjoy it as is...
Buuuut...
I agree with others about a vocal track...
There's a lot of talented songwriters & musicians around here...
Ever thought about adding a line to your post...
"Any songwriting, lyrics, & vocal collaborations would be greatly appreciated"...

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Ray on this one:
Originally Posted By: rayc
The organ carried melody is REALLY disorienting as it pans. I love Leslie speakers and univibe rotation but that's a little weird for a melody.

Other than that little nitpick, I'm good with it. Love the guitar songs on the track and they are mixed in nicely.

Keep up the good work Mike!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mike, great job mixing this with your own instrumentation! It's a cool track! I love this bluesy vibe in this! At some point maybe a lyric/vocal could be added but still enjoyed as is! Love that instrumentation build up later in song with horn sounds! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mike,

A good listen. Tasty stuff happening all over the place. Well mixed.

You keep it interesting throughout.

fj

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sweet guitar playing. I'm feeling it. Tasty. Great tone.

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Focusrite 18i20
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow loved the intro to this. Got me to sit up straight. Loved this tune. The organ was awesome. Excellent guitar track as well. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I didn't quite know what to expect, but was totally impressed with what I heard.

You nailed the blues here, no question.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hello Mike,

This is a nice song to feel yourself lazy as can be! Very nice sologuitar, but also good playing of the other instruments. that makes this a good song. But... as Ray wrote it needs vocals in it!
To me you don't need to go back to the drawing board as you wrote, the song sounds really good. Well... maybe some more bass, a stronger melody for the piano, greater percussion and louder sologuitar (no, I'm joking!). It is a good song, only those vocals...

Hans

Thanks Hans for your encouraging words.
I actually started trying to write words for Lazy Dayz today. Hopefully going “public” with my attempt to write lyrics will force me to persevere.
Watch this space.
Thanks again for listening,
Mike

Mike Garry

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Mike,

I gave it a couple of "playz", I listened yesterday too but didn't have time to comment.

I see a few people mentioned adding vocals. I'm like you, I don't sing and I'm not that great at writing lyrics. I have done lots of instrumentals in the past, at one time that's all I did, and I find it works best if you keep them short, around 3:00 or so. Hard to keep up listener interest with an instrumental if you go much longer than that in my opinion.

Thanks Dave. I have started trying to write a lyric for Lazy Dayz. I'm not sure how I'll go but i'll persevere for a while.
I had a few reservations about the length of the song but to be honest I didn't want to cut anything out.
Thanks for your considered comments. Much appreciated as always.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Mike,

Thanks Dave. I have started trying to write a lyric for Lazy Dayz. I'm not sure how I'll go but i'll persevere for a while.
I had a few reservations about the length of the song but to be honest I didn't want to cut anything out.
Thanks for your considered comments. Much appreciated as always.
Cheers,
Mike

Hey Mike,

We have done a couple where I wrote the lyrics. It's very difficult (for me) but in theory the more you do it the easier it comes wink

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with!

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done! Love that classic blues vibe here, and the hint of country influence works well too. I can imagine a singer doing some justice to it for sure, but I definitely think it holds its weight as an instrumental as well.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk, especially for the "instrumental" comment.
I love the Steve Hinson pedal steel RealTrack. It adds such nice touches throughout.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mike,
Nice mix and it arrangement.

A tad long for an instrumental but interesting all the way through.

Well done.

Peter

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,967
Posts751,715
Members38,959
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Alesha, jarredou, jadecomeria58, Seraphinang, Nevillberger
38,959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
rsdean 105