For MiDi styles, I “cracked the code” wink

Bass only knows 7 7th chords and triads, but none of the fancy chords or alterations.
In a limited number of midi styles Guitar and Piano play all chords correctly, which clashes with the bass sadly.

I had a PM conversation with Peter Gannon, where I showed him notation examples of the obvious mistakes and the absurd situation where piano plays the right chords and the bass doesn’t. He stressed that “most” jazz can be played by BIAB and urged me to steer clear of elaborate chords.

Leaves us with reharmonization chords, that don’t sound good and alternative changes (Bill Evans reharms in New Real Book) that don’t work. Marsalis tunes and Joey Calderazzo tunes, Fred Hersch songs often use chords that Biab doesn’t know (phrygian chord...). And Wayne Shorter tunes, the Bass never plays 13b9 chords right.

I truly think PGMusic is not really interested in making their midi styles work properly or their Realstyles play all the chords. Most musicians who use BIAB don’t really know much about harmony, I’ve come to learn. There are forums where musicians are really into harmony (jazzguitar.be) and some are quite literate, but I think most PGmusic users never got past Chapter 1 of the Levine jazz piano book or the jazz harmony book. Ii-v’s and triads rule.

And that’s cool. Leaves most serious jazz amateurs in the cold, but, hey, PGmusic is a succesful company and that proves they are right in their approach. Hope Bandora or Jjazzlab step up for us, smile

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com