User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
David,

Nice song!
I was very surprised at the natural vocals like a real human singer and also your terrific manipulation.
Synthesizer V-Kevin's strength is amazing.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi, Shigeki.

Thanks, I always appreciate hearing from you!

Have you had a chance to try SynthV out? I'm curious because there are a number of Japanese voices, and they sound quite good to me.

Then again, you always end up getting a real singer to do your vocals, which is always the best option! smile

I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
A neat song David, great vibrant introduction.

Vocally and harmoniously you have really excelled. What a great delivery from a vocalid. Well ahead of any possible expectations.

Well done!

Thanks! The latest iteration of the voices is impressive. Not quite human, but even nicer to work with than before. I've gone back and updated a number of my songs, and figure I'll keep doing that as time goes on.

And eventually, I might replace them with actual singers. wink

I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
NOTE TO SELF: Well Done !

A nice write and excellent job of execution.

moto

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi David.

Without any hint of exaggeration, I want to say that this is extraordinary listening.

You really have a flair for creating thoughtful and enjoyable arrangements that mesmerize me.

Just what I like to hear - thanks! laugh

Originally Posted By: Noel96
I loved the harmony and the counterpoint. I'm a huge fan of counterpoint. It occupied quite a bit of my time back in the 1990s as I worked my way through Palestrina and Fux in an effort to better understand Bach. Later, when I moved on to 4-part harmony in the classical style, I found the understanding that I gained from learning counterpoint was invaluable. All the rules and patterns in 4-part harmony are mostly a consequence of contrapuntal techniques.

Alfred Mann's translation of Fux's Gradus Ad Parnassus was a joy to read. The rules create a somewhat artificial style, but from a pedantic perspective, it's brilliant.

I read through it back in the '90s, but my keyboard technique was quite poor, so I had difficulty playing the examples. (Full Disclosure: my keyboard technique is still pretty terrible).

If you want an accurate representation of Palestrina's style, I highly recommend Knud Jeppesen's Counterpoint: The Polyphonic Vocal Style of the Sixteenth Century. I made a number of attempts to learn the text, but really should have spent more time actually listening to Palestrina first. It's quite like trying to learn how jazz or rock sounds by reading about it. sick

I found Kent Kennan's Counterpoint - Based on Eighteenth-Century Practice to be perhaps the best book on Bach's actual style.

But all that feels like long ago and far away. wink

Pretty much all I remember is Contrary motion sounds most like counterpoint and Parallel motion with perfect consonances doesn't sound like counterpoint. laugh

Quote:
At the moment, I'm sitting here trying to work out why the 2-part harmony on "thing" (in "anything" at 1:42) doesn't quite sit comfortably for me. It's at times like this that I wished I had perfect pitch. Alas, I do not. I can't quite work out how your two voices travel to what sounds like an E-B vocal harmony at the cadence. Questions that are appearing in my mind right now are... Do the voices cross over and what was the upper voice becomes the lower voice? Is the E-B interval approached in similar motion? If it's any use to you, I find that in 2-part movement, perfect 5ths usually sound best when approached in contrary motion.

Your hearing is accurate! I think there are two main problems with the cadence.

First, there's a voice crossing. Even worse, it's a voice exchange, where the voices are on thirds (F#/A) and swap parts, and then move by contrary motion into a perfect fifth. See the attached file - the green notes are the melody, the red lines are the counter line.

The motivation is probably obvious: I wanted to keep the counterline out of the low muddy register, because the vocal was already going pretty low.

Second, the synthetic voices on those open fifths are bit harsh and mechanical. So even though the notes are right, they sound off.

But it was a better option than what I had before, so I went with it. I should probably revisit it at some point, but who knows? wink

Quote:
Anyway, that's all beside the point. When I listened to your song, you made think all about this stuff that I haven't thought about for a couple of decades. That's a great thing smile Thank you for that!

Glad to hear it! What's really nice about artificial voices is I can finally do the sort of thing that I had been only reading about 30 years ago. And it's fun!

Quote:
What stood out to me most in this production was your prosody. Your ability to align musical stress with syllabic stress is fantastic. I suspect that one of the reasons that Kevin sounds so brilliant in this presentation is because of your skills in the prosody arena.

I think this is the result of writing the music first - the phrasing has to match the notes. There's some wiggle room, of course, and I'll rewrite the notes if needed.

So the musical phrasing leads to equivalent language stresses.

The problem of the process is the amount of time it takes to find a phrase that fits into that spot.

On the other hand, it's much better than dealing with a completely blank page. And it forces me to run through multiple iterations of an idea, which helps get the creaky gears of my lazy brain moving.

Quote:
Also, I really loved reading your "Blah Blah Blah" section! It really was excellent background information and gave me huge insights into your creative process. You know, I've never once written a song that started with a chorus. I often don't have a title, either. For some reason, I always begin with a verse. Often, the first verse I write turns out to be verse 2. For me, verse 2 is usually a little bit more philosophical and usually has less imagery than verse 1. This is probably why I favor the AABA format when song writing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses this process! laugh

I think my imagination is just rusty, so it takes time to discover who the singer is, and what they're about. As you mentioned, imagery is important and good to place in the initial verse. It's a bit ironic to use spoken language to trigger visuals, but "show, don't tell" seems to work for songs as well as films.

Quote:
Anyway, thank you for a terrific musical journey. And thank you for mentioning me a couple of times. Believe it or not, you've inspired me to get back into creating songs more often. I seem to have drifted out of songwriting over the last couple of years.

Well, you've done the same!

It's interesting that on a forum filled with songwriters, there aren't as many who talk about process. And that's understandable, because the process can be super-dry as it's mostly "I had a basic idea, and then kept writing and re-writing until I had a song."

And for those who don't have to over-analyze things and the words just come, that's great. But that hasn't been the case for me for a long time.

I assume everyone else is writing songs instead of long posts. wink

Thanks for stopping by and your comments!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
cadence with voice crossing.png (31.58 KB, 37 downloads)
Cadence with voice exchange.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"I'm just trying to figure this songwriting thing out"
LOL!
David, I think you are on the top of that "thing". Sweet composition and arrangement. Cool vocals and harmonies of the robo boy. Really well made all around. You are getting better and better at this. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

This sounds good David.

The harmonies are really nice and the production is skilled.

I can tell you put a lot of work into this.

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
A nice write and excellent job of execution.

Thanks, Cap'n! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
"I'm just trying to figure this songwriting thing out"
LOL!
David, I think you are on the top of that "thing". Sweet composition and arrangement. Cool vocals and harmonies of the robo boy. Really well made all around. You are getting better and better at this. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, Misha.

I guess my mistake is that I keep thinking it'll get easier, or faster, or... I don't know.

But I'm learning to let go of that and accept the process. As long as a song comes out of the process, it's a win, right?

Thanks for stopping by to listen! smile

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This sounds good David.

The harmonies are really nice and the production is skilled.

I can tell you put a lot of work into this.

Hi, David.

Thanks for stopping by to listen and post! I appreciate your feedback. smile

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,770
Posts749,019
Members38,872
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
mariabooth48, Karim Buzdar, nykiaspradley5@gma, stephanieadlam, danielito
38,875 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 141