Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good write Floyd and Michael, cool idea for a song.

Love the stripped down arrangement, really allows your vocal to shine.

Sounds great guys, enjoyed!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This song is a diamond!

That second verse, as Bob noted, is stunning.

We love the sparse band, the arrangement and the crystal clear mix.

Your vocals shine here with those little nuances that are so perfect.

Janice listened and then said, “in the next scene she comes in the room and explains to him that she kept that ring as a reminder that she definitely made the RIGHT choice!” smile

Kudos to you and Michael!

J&B

PS Two verses a chorus and outa here ... but still setting the piano on fire smile
PPS Bud: When I grow up I wanna write like floyd. Janice: When I grow up I wanna phrase like floyd.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd ...

You and Michael put a jewel of a song together here. Just enough background music to flush out the emotion of this fabulous lyric and vocal. I'm familiar with Michael from another forum (you probably know which one) and he is a fine lyricist. Put you two together and voila!

Referring to an instrumental I wrote a few years back to which Greg Johnson wrote a beautiful lyric and a fabulous sing, this song is sprinjkled with "Stardust On The Moon".

I had an experience almost identical to this in 1992. Except it was a letter rather than a diamond.

More Floyd Jane magic!

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Floyd
Very nice song
You sang it with a lot of feeling
Great made
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a pretty song Floyd!

You and Michael really come up with some great lyrics here! Really telling a relatable story!

Love the sparse instrumentation here and so glad you left all percussion sounds out of this...it really gave the song the soft sound it needs!

Great work again! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd, what can I say? Yet another example of how good a song can be. Thanks for sharing your talents with us all.

Brad

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool lyric Floyd. Storytelling at its finest. Awesome vocal and backtrack was perfect. Production was so wide and clear. Very well done...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
The sparse arrangement leaves a lot of room for your voice, and dude, did you use this. Wonderful!

But what I like even more are the lyrics...not what you sing, but what you explicitly did not sing.
You tell a story which leaves a lot of room for interpretation, each listener can make up his own story from that.

That are the ingredients for a song that lasts...

Thanks, B. D.

Originally Posted By: firesong
Floyd...your production and arrangements always match the particular song you're doing so well...and this is no exception...but for me it was the lyric...the second verse is so poignant and perfect...it captures the heart of the song and the angst of the teller of the story...bravo! Beautiful song, exquisitely written, and delivered so well! Congrats to you and Michael.

Thanks, Dan. Mike deserves a lot of credit for the lyric here.

Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
A skillfully written song. A perfectly understated backing with a masterful performance to match.

Thanks, Brian...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ & Michael,
Wonderful slow ballad! Brilliant lyrics. Strong & emotional vocals. Flows very well and easy to follow. I like that instrumentation is light on this, lets vocals shine. A+ collaboration. Mix is top shelf. Enjoyed it and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks, Misha....

Originally Posted By: rayc
Terrific work FJ & Michael,
Reading the lyric my eyes say " ...do her feelings still linger" could be " ...or do her feelings linger" but my ears care not a jot.
A deceptive arrangement that brings simple or sparse to the lips but those lips'd be lying as it's a careful, wonderful arrangement.

Thanks, ray....

Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Floyd,

This is another top song from you and Michael.

Good lyrics, interesting chords and superb vocals.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks, Nigel....

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Ah, not to worry, my friend. It used to belong to her grandmother and she all but forgot it. You're still the tops, Floyd. Outstanding song, Floyd & Michael. {Ok. I wrote all that before even listening to the song --just read the lyrics-- cuz I know it's true. It always is with you.}

Your vocal has a special texture that grabs the listener, especially in this song. It propels one to push Replay and seek other songs of yours. What a great quality. I love the melody and how it carries one to share your feelings. So well done.

Thanks, Marty....

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Hi Floyd.
I thought at first you had made a cover of the Mark Knopfler song of the same title.
This is totally different and a fine alternative. Interesting story too.

Vic

Thanks, Vic.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice one.

I could speculate on the back story.....Broken heart from a past love or a family heirloom? but hey... doesn't matter. Good song. It was short.... total run at 2:16 ish for the fade.... And minimalist on the band.
I like how you lingered on the word "linger" in the choruses. Little details.

Thanks, Herb...

Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Great job Floyd! I love every thing about this one from the mystic to the prosody. Great lyrics but especially loved these lines:

a beautiful diamond
bet it took her breath away
no denying
it sure took mine today

BTW, love your voice!

Dewey

Thanks, Dewey....

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd / Michael,

Outstanding song... Love the sparse production and as always, a beautiful vocal by Floyd.

This passage is stunning:

"i dug up a diamond
that wish i'd never seen
got me thinking she's been lying
but i won't intervene
a beautiful diamond
bet it took her breath away
no denying
it sure took mine today"

Excellent work guys.

Bob

Thanks, Bob...

Originally Posted By: musician17
First of all, just from reading the lyrics, before listening:

What was the song's main character (singer) doing, snooping in her drawer? ;-)

Otherwise, good song! It takes a great voice to manage to carry through such a sparse arrangement. And it sounds so sincere, when you sing it. Well done.

Thanks, James...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd,

Loved the vocal and the backing. Very poignant song with an engaging lyric (certainly had the forum speculating).

As expected another truly excellent song.

Peter

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
BEAUTIFUL!!!! I think you dug up a diamond from your catalogue!!! Just a wonderful, emotional write.....lyrics that are deep and compelling with a wonderful melody/track, and particularly vocal (one of your best) to match!!! You are a true master my friend!!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Floyd,

Had a chance to listen to this last week . . . had to hunt it down and take the time to comment . . . because I think it’s among the best things you’ve done (which is saying a lot)! The write and the simplicity of the arrangement, meshed with the heartache of the vocal . . . just perfect. Masterful. And as for the write, I love a song (or poem) that makes me wonder about the story behind the story—wanting to know more about the people or stories the song is about—and this one does that. Just impressive!

My very humble regards to you and Michael—

Deej

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I see you still have mad songwriting skills. Very touching and human. And a little bit of what John Hiatt calls "an uncommon connection" - which I always appreciate in a song.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lyrics really shine like a diamond here, so much emotion expressed in so few lines. I can sense the feeling of finding a secret whatever reason there is. The sad melody supports that message. The simple arrangement works very well, especially the piano. And the vocals really give the feeling that every word is true, after the listening there is still pain and the dust from the drawer floating in the air.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another Floyd favorite for me.

This is plain and simple and excellent song. Such a passionate vocal.

This sounds like it came right off a film soundtrack.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
This one's a diamond, all right. Another FJ (and Michael) classic.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
It seems I can always sit back, close my eyes, reflect as I listen to one of your songs and suddenly there's a personal connection in my head to the story in your lyrics. That's a wonderful gift to have. This one is stellar across the board, a true diamond.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,
I read the title and had my own story line going before pressing play.Boy, you( and your cowriter) developed this cool idea into something much subtler,and more real than my scenario!
Fine, fine vocal that completely holds the attention... and repeating the opening lines a perfect sign off.
What a catalogue you have created,and at the risk of sounding trite, but every one is a winner.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mario, Mr. Snyder, Mr. Cuny, TM, Mr. Bell, J&B, Alan, Andi, Torrey, Brad, Scott, Peter, Greg, Deej, Phil, Janne, EZ, Leon, Charlie, Robert... (hope I didn't miss anyone)

I really appreciate y'all listening. And I truly appreciate all the nice comments. Michael would appreciate them, too, I'm sure.

I ended up being away for a few weeks, so rather than spend more time on this one, I need to continue trying to catch up listening to the song posts that I've missed in that time...

Thanks a bunch!!

fj

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,118
Members38,857
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bob Shilling, nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico
38,856 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199