Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
However, if you want to present your trax as sequences that contain embedded MIDI for the purpose of controlling your devices, you'll probably have to use a sequencing program to present the trax.

Having said that, RealBand lets you queue up a set list of SEQ files and play them automatically one after the other, or triggered by a foot switch. This lets you take advantage of MIDI control of devices as well as giving you the ability to create medleys etc

That brings up another question, Pat. If you are only running audio, WHY run a sequencer when you can dump that to WAV and play WAV files without any kind of DAW type program adding a point of potential failure? If you incorporate MIDI controllers though, I get it. Can you share examples? I have never done that.

This comes from the perspective though of someone who loves to string songs together. We used to do Hold On I'm Comin', right into Knock On Wood, right into Midnight Hour. That was about 12 minutes of music without letting them sit down. And if I were to perform those songs again I would use Audition to chain them the same way. They are in A, D and E respectively, all related chords, and at the same tempo, in that perfect dance beat zone.

The 4 Tops medley... Can't Help Myself, Same Old Song, Baby I Need Your Lovin', Something About You. All chained together. 14-15 minute dance block. To do that with tracks I would just record each song and again use Audition to string them. We had one for the Temptations too. And Marvin Gaye.

Of course that has a down side in that I could never deviate from those blocks.

But on topic, yeah, playing tracks is cool if it does what you need.

One thing we did was used our drummer's Octapad to send MIDI messages to the light board so he could change light scenes from that pad. It was cool and all but really overkill. We did it for about 3 months and went back to having the front guy use a foot controller. That may be an example of what you send from a sequence? Like set aside a consistent track of every song for MIDI messages. My lack of MIDI knowledge shows in that I don't know what you can send via MIDI. Can you program a start message for a backing video through MIDI? That would be cool with those fun videos you make. The roller coaster video was hilarious.

EDIT: I made this post before I read your second post where you said what you use MIDI for.

Last edited by eddie1261; 11/04/22 05:04 AM.