Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I worked with another writer many years ago. I was just getting started at the time. He was the founder of a songwriters group in the town I was in at the time. He claimed that he had written the lyric and melody to a very big #1 song and had submitted it to a publisher/record company and heard nothing back. Then one day he heard it on the radio and watched it go to #1 and make a ton of money. This was well before the internet and computers. Rotary phones were still a thing. I'm not so sure that his story was true, but of course the back story fit the situation well. His wife would kind of roll her eyes when he told this story to someone new.

That would really suck if it did indeed get stolen, I hope it wasn't the case.

Quote:

My story....a coincidence I'm sure...... I have a gospel song that I had written and recorded. One day I was listening to the local gospel radio station and heard a song that was eerily close to the song I had written. I wrote it off as a coincidence because at the time, I wasn't posting on line... internet was at best dial up to bulletin boards and I hadn't sent the song out to anyone. That was a strange one. There was no way anyone else could have heard my song and ripped it off.

There's a phenomenon that seems to pass in many areas, I hear of inventions being invented often independently in various parts of the world, even before the internet or phones, or when being worked on in secret. Or an idea or philosophy that surfaces at the same time, in various areas. Maybe it could have been something like that. But with a song, to copy a melody like that, does sound odd to me though.