Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

I didn’t hear your question and the LOC is not part of the Federal Court.

If establishing Authorship and date of creation, that is correct.

Thank you Mike.

Just got off the phone with Barry De Vorzon, I think earlier in the thread you recommended his Songuard service.

I was interested in the 3rd party services, but from what Barry told me, they've never gone to court yet, and can't guarantee their registration would work (their FAQ says they can't guarantee it'll hold up in court). He assured me though his lawyers said it would work.

Was wondering what you thought about the matter, as I'm definitely interested in using a 3rd party service for registering Unpublished songs, to save money.

Quote:

Example: Somebody wrone a song and filed PA Unpublished. Writer takes this to the Court of Chancery and is told that UK is the same as the US: no royalties due before the Published date. Estimates are that writer was out about $18M.

Since this happened before the World Wide Web, almost no one is able to look this up but it was widely reported at the time. Anybody know the song, band, writer, folk singer? The band shouldn’t be too hard to guess.

Thanks for sharing the anecdote. Looking forward to finding out who it's about, and reading more about it. I would guess, but nothing rings a bell for me.

Last edited by QuestionAsker; 02/28/23 12:22 PM.