Print Thread
Go To
#757929 03/14/23 09:31 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi All

With this talk about Chat GPT, I thought I would post an example of what OpenAi is currently doing with music... quite scary actually that this was generated in a few seconds with just a couple of prompts. Here is a sample of a song in the style of Alan Jackson. Okay, so the lyrics are not completely distinct and understandable but still, they have absolutely nailed the style and the tone....

https://soundcloud.com/openai_audio/jukebox-86115728

The product is called JukeBox and it is not yet released for general consumption... I guess we have that to look forward to.

What do you think?

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think there will be a spot for it. Non-musicians will be able to compose songs, just like they can with Acid and loops. Musicians may be able to learn from it from both a lyric and instrumental side of things.

Will it be main stream? I hope not. It may be a fad for awhile but I think organic musicians will prevail.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
It may be a fad for awhile but I think organic musicians will prevail.

...until Skynet becomes self-aware. (ref. The Terminator)

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My experience has been that current AI-generated music/vocal software is neither fast nor easy.

It takes nine hours to render one minute of audio with JukeBox. OpenAI is working to address the issue. Also, the lyrics to the Alan Jackson song in question were not generated by JukeBox.

There are millions of dollars being used to advance these technologies. The advancement has been pretty rapid. How long until the technology is stable and valuable is not predictable.

The displacement of live musicians due to technology, cultural changes, and economics is ongoing, and AI is just another component of the reduction.

We tend to applaud personally useful technology and publicly denounce technology seen as causing a perceived or actual loss.

The only factor in the advancement of an AI that can generate "Alan Jackson-style" music effectively is the amount of profit that can be generated. Millions of dollars are not being poured into AI for our amusement and amazement.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Originally Posted By: MarioD
It may be a fad for awhile but I think organic musicians will prevail.

Good one!

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
E
eddie1261
Unregistered
eddie1261
Unregistered
E
Originally Posted By: sslechta

Sarah Connor can come to my house and punish me any time...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Sarah Connor can come to my house and punish me any time...

Good one, Arnie grin

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Two thoughts: First it sounds like the AI used Spleeter to obtain vocal samples. More surprising the SoundCloud link is more than 2 years old.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1113) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
More surprising the SoundCloud link is more than 2 years old.

I noticed that part way through listening and then wondered what proportion of what we hear is pure AI and what proportion might be a construction from OpenAI guys as a demonstration of principle; how much finessing.

That demo seemed pretty good, some of the others are really horrible.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Not to forget melody-making Project Magenta, which actually has apps and plugins you can download and play with.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=751329

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
@Jim, I did notice that the uploads were two years old… I wonder what had happened since then?

@billy. Where did you learn that it takes Jukebox 9 hours to generate 1 minute of audio? If so, then that is undoubtedly why they haven’t released it. Also interesting that you say the lyrics weren’t generated by Jukebox. Where are they from? I mean, OpenAI has the capability to generate pretty usable lyrics with their chat GPT…as an aside with gpt4 it promises to get even better.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joanne,

First, the song is over two years old. I am not sure GPT3 was even in use then.

This is a quoit from TechRepublic "To assist, the lyrics in the released songs “have been co-written by a language model and OpenAI researchers.” The lyrics for the most part pass muster aside from maybe a line or two in the Sinatra nod.

Quoit from Nerdist. They are referring to the Alan Jackson song.

"The songs created by Jukebox are stunningly realistic. The track immediately above, for example, was generated by Jukebox after only receiving lyrics co-written by a language modeling tool and OpenAI researchers. Meaning that Jukebox was able to take the provided lyrics and generate an appropriate singing voice, instrumentals, and genre. Jukebox literally created all of that song, except for the lyrics, entirely from scratch."

From VentureBeat. This site has many of the technical details of how JukeBox works.

"But Jukebox has its limitations. While the songs it generates are fairly musically coherent and feature traditional chord patterns (and even solos), they lack structures like repeating choruses. Moreover, they contain discernible noise, and the models are painfully slow to sample from — it takes 9 hours to render one minute of audio.

Fortunately, OpenAI plans to distill Jukebox’s models into a parallel sampler that should “significantly” speed up sampling. It also intends to train Jukebox on songs from other languages and parts of the world beyond English and the West."

As mentioned, Jukebox, the second development after MuseNet, has been around for some time.
I think there may be a way to try this software, but I am unsure. My interest has been more technical than musical.

I am also interested in this developing technology's legal/governmental implications.

To date, there has been a lot of talk about regulating the social media companies such as Facebook, but not much action has occurred. That is most likely what will happen with AI issues.

I predict many lawsuits will be filed over intellectual property rights pertaining to AI.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 03/16/23 11:07 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
E
eddie1261
Unregistered
eddie1261
Unregistered
E
Who are they going to sue? The computer that wrote the lyrics? Dell for making the computer? Intel for making the processor IN the computer?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Who are they going to sue? The computer that wrote the lyrics? Dell for making the computer? Intel for making the processor IN the computer?

The answer is simple Eddie. Companies with money.
Quoits from TechCrunch

"As generative AI enters the mainstream, each new day brings a new lawsuit.

Microsoft, GitHub and OpenAI are currently being sued in a class action motion that accuses them of violating copyright law by allowing Copilot, a code-generating AI system trained on billions of lines of public code, to regurgitate licensed code snippets without providing credit.

Two companies behind popular AI art tools, Midjourney and Stability AI, are in the crosshairs of a legal case that alleges they infringed on the rights of millions of artists by training their tools on web-scraped images.

And just last week, stock image supplier Getty Images took Stability AI to court for reportedly using millions of images from its site without permission to train Stable Diffusion, an art-generating AI."

As it stands now, there are no laws in place and not much case law to address these issues.

These issues span many industries. Hospitals are using AI in radiology and it is possible that AI will take over the role of many radiologists.
Who gets sued? It depends on many factors. I can assure you that lawsuits will be filed when AI makes a mistake.

In some ways, the current situation reminds me of the "Napster cases.
The music industry responded by suing the owners of services like Napster, as well as ordinary users like a 66-year-old grandmother." Remember that case?

LOL...don't worry, Eddie; I don't think you are in any danger for having posted an AI-generated image on the forum.

As to Alan Jackson, I have no idea if he was consulted before using his name. It would be logical to assume he was.

In truth, there are people who are taking several positions of who to sue. Who is responsible for the copyright violation? Is it the company who wrote the code" Is it the AI itself? Is it the company that lets you use the AI? Is it the user of the AI?

If all this AI business were being generated by a handful of computer geeks, it would be one thing. The wealthiest companies in the world are behind all this AI business and they are investing BILLIONS.
Billions, Big Money!

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
If you don't want the machines to take over, don't build them in the first place.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,096
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 203