Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#795074 01/11/24 11:46 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
First song out of the box in 2024.

This is a song by Josh, a writer in NC I met a couple of weeks ago, who came to my studio here in the woods to record this. With his permission, I present....

Leaving and Grieving

We didn't want to hide the beauty of this simple song in a lot of production. So there's not a lot of instruments used in this song.

Josh: Vocals
Guitar: 2914
Bass: 2474
Cajon & shaker from real drum track menu

Style: Loneson: acoustic guitar ballad

Lyrics:

Drivin angry, the bugs feel my wrath
Doin ninety, broken dreams in the back
Im just hopin no lights slow me down
Can’t see nothin but hearts regret now

Them white lines seem to blend into one
The way we did before pain begun
Summer flashbacks to a hatchback parked in June
Every antique town before we went to ruin

But now I know in my heart and soul
The smile you hid for a while was you slowly letting go
If you’d only told me your trouble down inside
Id have held you so closely and not let fate decide
On your leavin and my grievin

60 miles to the Comal county line
I can make that in about 3 quarter time
Just one last chance to plead a lovers case
Judgements been passed it levied me erased

The lose grip of your fingertips
Was you slowly letting go
Id have held you so closely
And not let fate decide

Hear me out
Before I finally drown
I gave you my everything
You threw it on the ground

That puff of smoke around you
Was your love growin cold
Id have held you so closely
And not let fate decide

As always, comments are appreciated.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/11/24 12:32 PM. Reason: Typo

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is absolutely great!
The first few bars had me going down a Seals and Crofts path, but then a country/folk vocal kicked in.
What a great write:

Everthing about this is top shelf and it is deliciously sparce.

The only nit is a small typo (I think)
But now I know I’m my heart and soul should be But now I know in my heart and soul

This is a great collab, well done.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Guitarhacker and Josh:

Absolutely brilliant tune! Perfect arrangement, wonderful vocal, killer lyric. Top shelf stuff!

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
This is absolutely great!
The first few bars had me going down a Seals and Crofts path, but then a country/folk vocal kicked in.
What a great write:

Everthing about this is top shelf and it is deliciously sparce.

The only nit is a small typo (I think)
But now I know I’m my heart and soul should be But now I know in my heart and soul

This is a great collab, well done.

I can't claim any writing credits, just production and advice.

Yep... Typo fixed.

Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That boy knows how to write. High quality.

And a voice to envy. One of those voices like Stapleton - where it hardly matters what you sing because everything sounds good. The voice of a star.
The vocal is really well captured.
Don't really hear the bass at all. (but it's not needed).
The mix sounds good (even without the bass).

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Deej56
Guitarhacker and Josh:

Absolutely brilliant tune! Perfect arrangement, wonderful vocal, killer lyric. Top shelf stuff!

Deej

Thank you. We're so glad you enjoyed this song. The kind words are appreciated.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
WOW!!! That studio in the woods turned out to be a terrific destination for Josh. Dang, what a great vocal and I really really dig the changes. Terrific feel. Oh, man, this is good, Herb. Simply superb!!

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Awesome! I agree with all the other comments. Josh sure can write and sing a high-quality song. Obviously, you made a great decision by keeping the production simple as it matches the sentiment of the lyrics and melody to a tee. Is Josh a member of NSAI?

Dewey

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well, this is all it needs.
Lovely lyric, vocal and arrangement.
Josh reminds me of Jason Isbell.

Vic

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Straight out of the box. Good write Josh. I hope to hear more. Good production capturing a great vocal performance. Thanks for posting Herb, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is more than excellent...the writing is exceptional...the track is perfect...crystal clear and clean...the vocals are so good and the chord structure is stellar...one of the best I've heard lately if not ever on the forum...thanks for posting this!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Guys,

This is one of the best songs I have heard on this forum for a long time.

Good song, very well sung and with an excellent mix.

Great work.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by floyd jane
That boy knows how to write. High quality.

And a voice to envy. One of those voices like Stapleton - where it hardly matters what you sing because everything sounds good. The voice of a star.
The vocal is really well captured.
Don't really hear the bass at all. (but it's not needed).
The mix sounds good (even without the bass).

Thanks for your kind words. I tend to agree... He's certainly got a talent.

Regarding the bass... This is an upright bass which sounds totally different from the typical electric basses I tend to use. High passed to reduce the boominess and low in the mix but a good set of speakers or cans will let you know it's there.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The lesson in this song is less is more. This song doesn't need any more!
Josh on hell of a singer. He reminds me of Chris Stapleton.
Super country
Great lyrics and backing tracks
Outstanding mix
You two make a great team and I hope we hear more from you.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds great!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a great talent Josh possesses. Excellent write and an extraordinary production. Excellent proof that the KISS approach is often a winning decision. He can sing, he can write, he can put a great chord pattern to it all - top quality everything in this production. And speaking of production, your mixing and, I would suppose, input on the arrangement, is as good as anything Nashville can put out.

I can see this as a Top-10 country hit just as it's presented here - I doubt anybody could put it together any better. How old would you guess Josh to be? I ask because he has a seasoned voice with a fresh delivery that puts Country music right where it should be. His phrasing really stood out to me. Sometimes that can carry a song.

Excellent in al respects.

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Wow, this is outstanding! Great write, outstanding vocals and a clear mix. Sparse arrangements can sometimes expose BiaB artifacts, but this sounds very realistic and natural to my ears. Fantastic job by everyone involved!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Marty:
WOW!!! That studio in the woods turned out to be a terrific destination for Josh. Dang, what a great vocal and I really really dig the changes. Terrific feel. Oh, man, this is good, Herb. Simply superb!!

Marty, The little studio in the woods.... It's a place to have fun and play with music. This one turned out really well. Thanks

Dewey:
Awesome! I agree with all the other comments. Josh sure can write and sing a high-quality song. Obviously, you made a great decision by keeping the production simple as it matches the sentiment of the lyrics and melody to a tee. Is Josh a member of NSAI ?

Dewey, I couldn't agree more. Working with folks like this is a real pleasure. We literally only did 3 vocal takes. They were so identical that I used one of them as the lead and the rest as low level doubles R&L. And Yes, he's a member of NSAI.

Vic:
Well, this is all it needs.
Lovely lyric, vocal and arrangement.
Josh reminds me of Jason Isbell.

Vic, To be compared as a writer to Jason Isbell, is a nice compliment. On behalf of Josh....Thanks.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb / Josh,

This sounds like it came out of a Nashville studio. So good.

You both should be very proud.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent song! Josh knows how to write, no question. I really like his vocal too.

Track sounds prefect to me, Herb, good selection of instruments and good mix.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,097
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199