Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Really enjoyed this one Herb. There's a classic structure in the writing and arrangement that's really spot on. Well written and performed song and you did a great job in recording and producing it.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Herb.

Honestly, I can't tell how good the song actually is, because... that's an excellent vocal.

I mean, it's a very good song. It might even be a fantastically good song.

It's hard to tell because Josh is so darned good. laugh

Excellent job, both of you.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This sounds awesome. Not just a technically great vocal, but a masterful vocal interpretation. Excellent songwriting. Sparse instrumentation fits like a glove.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Tom

Straight out of the box. Good write Josh. I hope to hear more. Good production capturing a great vocal performance. Thanks for posting Herb

Thanks for listening Tom.

Firesong

This is more than excellent...the writing is exceptional...the track is perfect...crystal clear and clean...the vocals are so good and the chord structure is stellar...one of the best I've heard lately if not ever on the forum...thanks for posting this!

Firesong, "more than excellent" I will take that any day!!! I appreciate you listening to this. Thanks

Nigel

Hi Guys,

This is one of the best songs I have heard on this forum for a long time.

Good song, very well sung and with an excellent mix.

Great work.

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thanks

Mario

The lesson in this song is less is more. This song doesn't need any more!
Josh on hell of a singer. He reminds me of Chris Stapleton.
Super country
Great lyrics and backing tracks
Outstanding mix
You two make a great team and I hope we hear more from you.

Mario, indeed... less is more. A good musician knows when and what to play. A great musician knows when not to play. I try to apply this to everything I do in life.

David
Sounds great!

David... a man of few words. Thanks

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
What a great talent Josh possesses. Excellent write and an extraordinary production. Excellent proof that the KISS approach is often a winning decision. He can sing, he can write, he can put a great chord pattern to it all - top quality everything in this production. And speaking of production, your mixing and, I would suppose, input on the arrangement, is as good as anything Nashville can put out.

I can see this as a Top-10 country hit just as it's presented here - I doubt anybody could put it together any better. How old would you guess Josh to be? I ask because he has a seasoned voice with a fresh delivery that puts Country music right where it should be. His phrasing really stood out to me. Sometimes that can carry a song.

Excellent in al respects.

Alan

Thanks for the excellent review. I've asked Josh to send this in to NSAI and see what kind of reaction they have. I'll keep folks here posted.

Wow, this is outstanding! Great write, outstanding vocals and a clear mix. Sparse arrangements can sometimes expose BiaB artifacts, but this sounds very realistic and natural to my ears. Fantastic job by everyone involved!

DC Ron

Ron, I've not had too many issues with artifacts. I think PG is doing a really good job with their recording techniques on the real tracks.

Herb / Josh,

This sounds like it came out of a Nashville studio. So good.

You both should be very proud.

Bob

Thanks. That's the goal I always aim for and the reason I got into home recording. Make it sound PRO.

Excellent song! Josh knows how to write, no question. I really like his vocal too.

Track sounds prefect to me, Herb, good selection of instruments and good mix.

Dave

Thank you. Every now and then things just happen at the right time and come together.

Really enjoyed this one Herb. There's a classic structure in the writing and arrangement that's really spot on. Well written and performed song and you did a great job in recording and producing it.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie.

Hi, Herb.

Honestly, I can't tell how good the song actually is, because... that's an excellent vocal.

I mean, it's a very good song. It might even be a fantastically good song.

It's hard to tell because Josh is so darned good. laugh

Excellent job, both of you.

-- David Cuny

That's an interesting statement and observation. I'm glad you like it.

This sounds awesome. Not just a technically great vocal, but a masterful vocal interpretation. Excellent songwriting. Sparse instrumentation fits like a glove.
Ezekiel

It's all in how the singer presents and sells the song. I agree, Josh sold this one nicely.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sounds Awesome. The tracks are spot on, the production is studio quality. The vocals fit this song to like glove. Fantastic lyrics. All around a great song, performed and produced perfectly.

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,
A tasteful country tune. Very nice vocals and compact, yet effective arrangement. Clear mix and listens well.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
As mentioned, but cannot be overstated, this is simply outstanding. All the right decisions are here. Writing, singing, production. Excellent choices all combining for an excellent song!

Brad

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Sounds Awesome. The tracks are spot on, the production is studio quality. The vocals fit this song to like glove. Fantastic lyrics. All around a great song, performed and produced perfectly.

Elliott Kayne

Many thanks for listening.

Herb,
A tasteful country tune. Very nice vocals and compact, yet effective arrangement. Clear mix and listens well. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thank you for listening and commenting

As mentioned, but cannot be overstated, this is simply outstanding. All the right decisions are here. Writing, singing, production. Excellent choices all combining for an excellent song!

Brad

Occasionally, all the pieces fall into place. Thank you for taking the time to listen.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely. The sparse arrangement is perfect and it does indeed let Josh’s vocal and lyric shine.
That is a great creative take on the "I'm outa here hittin' the road theme." Outstanding.

The arrangement is engaging from the git go to the last note.

We’ll be on the lookout for more from this fine singer songwriter!

We very much enjoyed it!

J&B

PS A huge ole FWIW. As a very long time upright bass player I nearly always use Waves Bass Rider on Upright RT's. Never compression just the rider to even out the gain to your liking. Otherwise even with a lot of EQ experimentation I find it hard to get all the notes to cut through particularly in a soft production. It's a good mix.

You can listen to our catalog on Apple Music or Spotify by searching on Janice Merritt
Our Videos are here on our website
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Wonderful song. I love the instrumentation. Perfect mix. I also wish I could sing that well!

Some favourite Waoist Adages:
#1: Play on the Way.
#17: Ask not for whom the flower blooms, it blooms for you.
#69: Bring consciousness to it.
#74: On the road to effortlessness, effort must be made.
#105: Be Love Now, the rest will come on its own.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb

Very nice indeed!

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Lovely. The sparse arrangement is perfect and it does indeed let Josh’s vocal and lyric shine.
That is a great creative take on the "I'm outa here hittin' the road theme." Outstanding.

The arrangement is engaging from the git go to the last note.

We’ll be on the lookout for more from this fine singer songwriter!

We very much enjoyed it!

J&B

PS A huge ole FWIW. As a very long time upright bass player I nearly always use Waves Bass Rider on Upright RT's. Never compression just the rider to even out the gain to your liking. Otherwise even with a lot of EQ experimentation I find it hard to get all the notes to cut through particularly in a soft production. It's a good mix.

Janice & Bud......Thanks for listening. Good songs don't need a lot of "makeup" for them to shine. So going sparse was the best option. I'm glad you guys liked this song.
I'll have a look at the bass rider because yeah.... the volume is kind of all over the place on these instruments... it's just the nature of the beast.

Wonderful song. I love the instrumentation. Perfect mix. I also wish I could sing that well!

WaoBand..... Thanks for listening. Indeed, a voice like that is a blessing.

Very nice indeed!

Peter

Peter, Thank you.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Herb and Josh,

Like everyone else here, I'm pretty excited about 4 things:
1. The beautiful voice,
2. The strong song
3. The beautiful lyrics
4. And the good sound quality. Those guitars sound so clear.

I think Josh did a very good job on nr. 1 / 3,
But you on nr. 4, Herb!

Well done!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,770
Posts749,018
Members38,872
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
mariabooth48, Karim Buzdar, nykiaspradley5@gma, stephanieadlam, danielito
38,875 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 142