Gordon.

i include mixers that have usb interfaces just in case someone is looking at such.

All.

1..RE…high gain mic preamps in budget usb audio interfaces.

This can be a big problem for people needing lots of gain, say 70 db or higher low noise mic pre gain at a budget level.
so what ive sometimes had to do in the past is resort to a separate mic pre feeding the interface
input.

I am only aware of one budget interface with high gain.

el gato wave xlr…up to 75db gain.

https://www.elgato.com/us/en/p/wave-xlr

once again ymmv/do your own testing/get a 30 day return etc blah blah.

Does anyone know other budget friendly interfaces with high gain ?
which might help others that might read this.
i checked the ssl 2 specs…they go up to 62 db gain range..

.2..I also want to mention something re Audient as I suspect some of you think I might be biased.but actually I'm not. Among the many reasons I like audient is the following..
a major reason.
We have all seen over the years people on the pg forums asking for help with new interfaces re biab and having to faff with biab driver settings a lot.
Let me explain. with the audient it was a doddle to install. easiest install ive ever had.
and here's the KICKER..
After install i was astonished that i had no faffing around with bb driver settings.
bb ran right off the bat !! FIRST TIME. didnt have to touch the pg driver settings.
Also the drivers are asio multi-client.

3..From what I'm reading people like the new audient id interfaces.but ymmv etc.
What's interesting is this range uses the big commercial studio mixer mic preamps I understand.
notice how they can be expanded.

Krause says on a sm7b no in line preamp is needed. but if you need very high preamp again I would check this.
NOTICE IN THE VID ARE VARIOUS USEFULL TABLES COMPARING MANY DIFFERENT INTERFACES DONE BY KRAUSE.
he IS very detailed in his reviews.

4..here's krause review of focusrite 4th generation scarlett 2i2.

notice in the review that 48volt phantom is global like lots of budget interfaces.
whereas my audient has switches on each channel.
notice the comparisons with other interfaces in his various tables. no in line preamp needed.
notice his comments later on re headphone output and wrap up.

frankly i think the sterling h224 interface is a very good low budget deal for just 100 bucks assuming it operates properly. (note i dont know if it's multi-client ).
i have the feeling we will hear more from sterling
at the budget level.

I invite anyone to suggest other interfaces to help any users who might read this.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/28/24 04:55 PM.

my songs....mixed for good earbuds...(fyi..my vocs on all songs..)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs
(90 songs created useing bb/rb.)