Originally Posted by jpettit
1) Will it happen? Peter has said, VST3 will come as a free upgrade in 2024.
2) Why the delay? PGM always takes the spring/summer to port BIAB to Mac code. (a different major topic in itself)
3) Is it easier in another framework? Partially true if you're talking about built in VST3 libraries but then you're talking a complete host rewrite. (another major topic)
4) How much of VST3 functionality? This can cause it to take longer. There are VST2 to VST3 wrappers available that can make it available soon, but not a great long-term solution. Supporting some of the VST3 capabilities multichannel outs, dynamic inputs, sleeping, window resizing, and auto categorization would take longer.

One of the main reasons that people jump to a DAW to finish their song, besides a more comfortable workflow, is VST3 routings in particular. If done right VST3 with its extended routing capability would keep people in BIAB longer.
If past experience is any indicator it will likely be only a very basic implementation of VST3 which will almost certainly disappoint some BIAB users. Personally, I would much prefer that PGM focus on improving the core functionality of BIAB, enhancing the UX, and adding more variety to the RealTracks. I love the instrument tracks I get from BIAB and my workflow includes it as an essential part of songwriting and production. However I am almost 100% certain I will not use BIAB VST3 support because I already have a fast, modern DAW that excels in that area. I will continue to use the best tool for each phase of my work. BIAB is essential to me but will never replace my DAW!