Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Since I have switched my main productivity machine from a Windows to Mac machine, I now have BIAB launched from a Windows VM inside of the Mac (Windows guest, Mac Hypervisor/Host). Windows is installed on my primary hard drive - meaning that this image is running from the internal (aka "fast") SSD drive. Since BIAB is so big - I had to get an external USB drive to fit everything which is USB attached.

... this USB drive is presented to Windows as a network share \\somedevice\somesharename. And it happens to be the "J:" drive under Windows. I know I can set this up differently - but this is what I have. BIAB runs its executable off this shared (USB) drive and the performance of BIAB in general (load time, etc) is good.

The problem I see is when rendering to audio, it takes "forever". I see that temp files always are using the location of BIAB's install as the temp file location. I would prefer to move temp files to a faster drive (C: in this case) either always OR have the temp files use the target file location for the location. So if I tell BIAB to save a file in C:\subdirectory\my_render.mp3 that the temp files would target C:\subdirectory

I think this would speed up rendering quite a bit for my configuration.

Is there a way to alter which windows drive temp files are created?

... BTW: I'm using a now ancient version 2019.

Thanks!

Last edited by JasonWhiteman; 06/01/24 03:23 PM.

1/1/2024 - Win 10 BIAB 2019 64bit Build (644), RealBand 2019 (4)
Prior - Sig can't fit a running list - so just showing current version
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think it's possible. I'm not aware of any setting that allows the user to change this. Others may know more.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
So you have the Win version running on Mac in a VM and you want to render to mp3 but it's too slow ?
If you had Reaper running on Mac it would just instantly open the frozen Win SGU and could load the tracks in as mp3 or other formats.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
> The problem I see is when rendering to audio, it takes "forever". I see that temp files always are using the location of BIAB's install as the temp file location.

Jason,
I assume you’re referring to BiaB, and not Realband,
For BiaB, what temp files are you referring to? Normally, to save a mp3, the only files saved are going to be the master.wav and the master.mp3 and both of those get saved to the (fast c:\…) directory you choose, and not to the BB home directory. The .mp3 conversion gets done by a windows codec, so we don’t have any control over that, but I don’t recall it needing to use temp files to do that. So let me know what temp files you are seeing.
‘The slowness you are seeing is likely related to the slow USB connection to the hard drive you’re describing that contains BiaB as well as the RealTracks. That would affect generation time of the arrangement itself, which takes place in memory, not on disk. But to make the arrangement, it is reading (not writing) lots of files from the RealTracks and RealDrums folders in your (slow) USB drive.’

What is the time to just render to a .WAV file?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Yes, this is BIAB. I'll gather more details and post back. Thanks for the help.

>So you have the Win version running on Mac in a VM and you want to render to mp3 but it's too slow ?

Yes, I understand implication.

>If you had Reaper running on Mac it would just instantly open the frozen Win SGU and could load the tracks in as mp3 or other formats.

I don't have Reaper but see it's fairly popular combined with BIAB. I think I'd need a newer version to get that to work (and the Mac version to run the plugin). Let me know if there's an option using what I have (2019 Win). I do have Cubase (Mac).

Product Manager
Product Manager
The 2019 version of BIAB does in fact render the wav file to your BB folder - specifically, J:\bb\Data\temp_wav_render.wav in your case. There is no way to change this, however there is a workaround:

Using the Drag and Drop station in the upper left of the window will render directly to your DragDrop folder, which can be set to wherever you like. Give this a shot and see if it helps, and post back here with an update. Please see the manual page here: https://www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2019full/chapter4.htm#_Toolbars

As well, if you're considering upgrading anyway, newer versions of BIAB render to the target folder as Peter mentioned. As you're now on a Mac, you can crossgrade to the Mac version which will let you avoid having to use a virtual machine - these can also slow things down, particularly read/write speed over your "network" drive (the VM would limit file transfer to the speed of the virtual network interface, which is likely much slower than the hard drive).

I work here
J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Thanks! I tried rendering using the drag/drop feature. What I did was clicked on "Master" and held on to it then dragged it to the "MP3" just to the right of the "+" in the drag/drop box. This is the only way I could figure out how to render this way. Before dragging, I setup the feature by making c:\bb\DragDrop my temp directory for this feature. However, I still see the temp .wav file created in the j:\bb directory.

When I right-click on the drag/drop area, I see the second group reads "Open Drag Drop folder [\\network\share\bb\DragDrop]" and the 4th group reads "Copy files to DropBox Folder [C:\bb\DragDrop] ..."

Under the settings the custom folder location for Drag n Drop temp is: "C:\bb\DragDrop\"

The surprise was the Drag Drop folder which is half way correct. It got the path correct "\bb\DragDrop" -- and it wasn't this before I changed the setting. It was just "\bb" for the path. However, the drive is a fileshare "\\network\share" which maps to J: instead of using the C: I set for the drag/drop temp location.

And even so, the temp file (.WAV) shows up in J:\bb (not J:\bb\DragDrop) while doing the drag/drop kind of rendering.

To fill in some information from before (outside of drag/drop) - when I use the standard render audio feature and target C: for the MP3 it takes 13m14s to complete the render. Since the temp file is on J: if I instead target J:\bb for the MP3 using the standard render then this will take 11m35s because it removes the step where the resulting file is copied to C: after assembling on J:

J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Quick update: I noticed that J:\bb is creating the file ...

06/04/2024 08:42 PM 10,666,030 DRUMS_TEMP_RENDER.WAV
(filesize is an intermediate size before it's done writing to the temp file)

While C:\bb\DragDrop is now creating the [origfilename]_render.wav temp file.

What I had to do is:

1) Restart BIAB
2) Move the MGU file to the C: drive (it was previously saved in J:)

Now my renders using drag/drop are taking under 3 minutes (around 3.5 minutes if regeneration is necessary) even though the J:\bb\DRUM_TEMP_RENDER.WAV file (which ends up being ~60MB) is being created. This is a big improvement. I'm not sure I understand why the DRUMS_TEMP ... file is stubborn and stays in j: but I'll take a 4x improvement any day. If I could force DRUM_TEMP to C: somehow, I'd probably shave off some more time.

Thanks for the tip -- it got the ball rolling.

I retested the original "normal" audio render (not drag/drop) and with the MGU file on C: this also takes ~3min. So it looks like the big savings here is moving the MGU to the "fast" drive. With the "normal" audio render the same DRUM_TEMP file is showing up in J:\bb as drag/drop.

Product Manager
Product Manager
Originally Posted by JasonWhiteman
Thanks for the tip -- it got the ball rolling.
Happy to help!

If I could force DRUM_TEMP to C: somehow, I'd probably shave off some more time.
I'm fairly certain that the only way to do this would be to install BB onto the C drive - doing that might also provide further speed improvements as the application and data files would be on a faster "drive", not just the DRUM_TEMP file.

Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 06/05/24 02:10 PM.

I work here
J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Wanted to chime in now that the gig is completed. Thanks again to all. The suggestions helped make sure that BIAB didn't "get in the way" of success per schedule and allowed me to craft a good show for an hour of dinner music playing straight except for breaks while the generated solos got their own turns.

I'm looking forward to getting more and more into the feature-set. Until next time!

Veteran
Veteran
Two quick thoughts even if you are resolved:

First, are you still running BIAB 2019? Version 2024 dramatically improved the time required for file regeneration, something you mentioned.

Second, is your external USB drive a SSD? That would also help.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Product Manager
Product Manager
Wanted to chime in now that the gig is completed. Thanks again to all. The suggestions helped make sure that BIAB didn't "get in the way" of success per schedule and allowed me to craft a good show for an hour of dinner music playing straight except for breaks while the generated solos got their own turns.

I'm looking forward to getting more and more into the feature-set. Until next time!
Happy to help!

Originally Posted by Matt Finley
Two quick thoughts even if you are resolved:

First, are you still running BIAB 2019? Version 2024 dramatically improved the time required for file regeneration, something you mentioned.

Second, is your external USB drive a SSD? That would also help.
Both are great suggestions. 2024 is in fact a huge improvement in speed. Plus even an inexpensive SSD can be at least 10 times as fast as your average external hard drive.

In this situation I don't think it would help much, as the "network adapter" in the virtual machine is probably the main bottleneck. If possible, see if the VM software lets you change link speed - 1 gigabit should be what I'd consider "ok", but something like 2.5gbps or 10gbps might speed things up.

I work here
J
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
The external drive is indeed an SSD. It's a Samsung T7 Shield which claims to have very high performance as USB/Thunderbolt interface. I think it's about as good as I can get given my laptop is the same vintage as BIAB (2019 - Intel Mac).

I already have it on my list to upgrade because I like better push/placement granularity for chords in the later versions and I think other items like more stems and "every track acts the same" (just loose features I seem to remember from looking at this a while ago) were things I thought I'd get some milage out of. Still, 2019 is fairly new to me since my first BIAB version was DOS based.

Planning on pseudo-renewing at the end of the year so I get one more newer version. Half way there ...

I too think the bottleneck is how I have the "J:\" drive shared. I think I'm kind of shooting myself a bit in the foot here, so to speak. There are more virtually more direct ways to connect even this external drive. I've got other things happening in this VM that prevented me from making any changes to the VM. I will eventually experiment with modifying the configuration eventually when the other constraints go away. Certainly when I upgrade I'll need to consider to get the Mac version to avoid the virtualization layer. I did think at some point that the Mac version was trailing the Windows version in terms of feature-set.

Veteran
Veteran
JasonWhiteman,

Your assumption regarding the Mac version trailing the Windows version is correct.

There are some features in the Windows version that have never been available in the Mac version. Having said that, with every new release the Mac version gains features the Windows version has had for years.

Each Mac release lags the corresponding Windows release by about six months. Notice the current Windows release is 2024 while the current Mac release is 2023. If I was a Mac user I would consider the lagging Mac release to be a good thing. Each Windows release receives a bunch of updates after each new release. Mac users do not receive as many updates because the Mac version includes many fixes from the Windows updates.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1113) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Product Manager
Product Manager
Originally Posted by Jim Fogle
Your assumption regarding the Mac version trailing the Windows version is correct.

There are some features in the Windows version that have never been available in the Mac version. Having said that, with every new release the Mac version gains features the Windows version has had for years.
This is correct, but in general the missing features are either ones that are not possible or not necessary on Mac or are very old and not often used features. For the most part, anyone who is happy with the Windows version will also be happy with the Mac version (or happier, given the increased stability of macOS and no issues with WAS/MME/ASIO drivers).

Originally Posted by Jim Fogle
Each Mac release lags the corresponding Windows release by about six months. Notice the current Windows release is 2024 while the current Mac release is 2023. If I was a Mac user I would consider the lagging Mac release to be a good thing. Each Windows release receives a bunch of updates after each new release. Mac users do not receive as many updates because the Mac version includes many fixes from the Windows updates.
Also correct.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,966
Posts751,707
Members38,959
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Alesha, jarredou, jadecomeria58, Seraphinang, Nevillberger
38,959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
rsdean 105