#812789 06/07/24 02:09 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I didn't see a section for bugs so I guess I'll report it here as a wish.

I can copy and paste any regular chord from one bar to another, but I can't copy/paste a micro chord bar!

A BIAB user for more than 30 years (if you can believe it) !
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted by BIABman
I didn't see a section for bugs so I guess I'll report it here as a wish.

I can copy and paste any regular chord from one bar to another, but I can't copy/paste a micro chord bar!

I couldn't reproduce this. I copied bars with micro-chords to other bars successfully.
Steps undertaken:
1: Enter chords A on beat 1, and B on beat 3 of a bar
2: Right click on the bar and select Micro-chord settings <F6>
3: Enter micro-chords A, B C on beat 1 and D,E,F on beat 3 (see screen capture, below)
4: Press OK
5: Select the contents of the bar used in step 1 on the chord sheet and press <ctrl>C
6: Move the cursor to another bar and press <ctrl>V

Alternatively, use the copy function in the micro-chord editor to copy to another bar. Note that the copied micro-chords will not display on the chord chart until the mouse is moved over the 'copied-to' bar.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Successfully copy and paste micro-chords by selecting a bar and using <Ctrl>C and <Ctrl>V:

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Additionally, no one here knows how you attempted to achieve this, because you didn't show any details. You only created a post with the nondescript title: 'Bug', and no information at all on how this was ever determined.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I have copy and pasted micro chords a number of times exactly like audio track, thus it is not a bug.
You seam to have a number of issues so would you please follow audio track's suggestion of your workflow. But also post what version of BiaB you are using as well as your system data and anti-stuff programs. The reason is that you may have some virus or malware issues and/or maybe your HD or SSD is failing and/or running out of room.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi Mario,
Thanks for your input too.
From other posts, I understand that the O/P is running BIAB 2024 build 1111 on an Ultra Pak.
But I agree with you, unless we know the user's workflow, how can we determine where to find any possible cause?

AudioTrack #812867 06/08/24 10:46 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
Additionally, no one here knows how you attempted to achieve this, because you didn't show any details. You only created a post with the nondescript title: 'Bug', and no information at all on how this was ever determined.

Thanks AudioTrack.

I have just reproduced the bug on my system.

I don't know why you tried to complicate things with your test?

Here's what I did yesterday (multiple times) and what I did again just now.

I entered the following chords:
| C | F | G | C | (D,A)(E,B) | C | F | G | C

I then selected the first bar with C and hit Ctrl-C (copy).
Then I selected an empty bar and hit Ctrl-V (paste).
The C chord appeared.

I repeated these steps with the second bar (F chord).
The F chord appeared.

I repeated these steps with the fifth bar (micro chord).
No chord appeared !

BIABman #812871 06/08/24 11:48 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
BiaBman, we are just trying to help!

Are you working in 2/4 time? I just ran some experiments and in 4/4 and 3/4 time the copy and paste works perfectly. But in 2/4/ time it doesn't work at all. In 2/4 time you must use the copy and paste method that is in the microchord window: see attached pic. You may have in fact found a bug.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
1.jpg (127.52 KB, 193 downloads)

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
BIABman #812874 06/08/24 12:36 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Addressing the premise in the first post, "I didn't see a section for bugs", we normally make a post in the regular BIAB forum to state the problem and get some verification or education from other users. A problem sometimes catches the attention of a PG Music staffer, but if it doesn't, some of the users who are testers for the company can report the problem to the developers. But step one is to ask a question and make sure it is a bug before calling it one in the post title. Step two is to edit the first post if it is resolved. If the feature really does not exist, step three is to post here.

No harm, however.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
MarioD #812875 06/08/24 12:46 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted by MarioD
BiaBman, we are just trying to help!

Are you working in 2/4 time? I just ran some experiments and in 4/4 and 3/4 time the copy and paste works perfectly. But in 2/4/ time it doesn't work at all. In 2/4 time you must use the copy and paste method that is in the microchord window: see attached pic. You may have in fact found a bug.

Thanks Mario.
I know you are just trying to help.
And I am not trying to make any trouble. smile

The song is in 4/4 time. I just tried it in 3/4 and it didn't work there either.

I'm using BIAB fresh out of the box. Straight, vanilla BIAB.
Starting a fresh song with three bars.

Matt Finley #812876 06/08/24 12:49 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
Addressing the premise in the first post, "I didn't see a section for bugs", we normally make a post in the regular BIAB forum to state the problem and get some verification or education from other users. A problem sometimes catches the attention of a PG Music staffer, but if it doesn't, some of the users who are testers for the company can report the problem to the developers. But step one is to ask a question and make sure it is a bug before calling it one in the post title. Step two is to edit the first post if it is resolved. If the feature really does not exist, step three is to post here.

No harm, however.

OK thanks for clarifying Matt.
I am a very occasional user and poster here so I didn't know the protocol for this.

BIABman #812879 06/08/24 01:15 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Since you have been using BiaB for 30 years I'm going to assume you are using a PC, correct?
Have you tried using the method in the microchord window? Does it work?
Maybe you could upload the song to the free Dropbox and post the URL so we can take a look at it?
Also the more information we have about your system will help tremendously. Things like CPU speed, HD or SSD, ram, free space on the HD/SSD, etc would be very helpful because at this point it sounds like the problem is with your system; it might not be but without more info we all would still be working in the dark.
Also have you run a full anti-virus scan? Have you used Ccleaner or Anti-Malwarebytes?

The reason I ask is because copy and paste in 4/4 or 3/4 works perfectly on mine and Audio Tracks machines.

Could others please check it out? It would be interesting to see if anyone else is having this problem or not. Thanx.

MarioD #812884 06/08/24 02:54 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Since you have been using BiaB for 30 years I'm going to assume you are using a PC, correct?
Have you tried using the method in the microchord window? Does it work?
Maybe you could upload the song to the free Dropbox and post the URL so we can take a look at it?
Also the more information we have about your system will help tremendously. Things like CPU speed, HD or SSD, ram, free space on the HD/SSD, etc would be very helpful because at this point it sounds like the problem is with your system; it might not be but without more info we all would still be working in the dark.
Also have you run a full anti-virus scan? Have you used Ccleaner or Anti-Malwarebytes?

The reason I ask is because copy and paste in 4/4 or 3/4 works perfectly on mine and Audio Tracks machines.

Could others please check it out? It would be interesting to see if anyone else is having this problem or not. Thanx.

Thanks again Mario for helping.

Yes I use a PC.
I just tried the MicroChord Window method. It failed. frown

Pentium Celeron J4105
RAM: 16 G (15.7 G usable currently)
64-bit
Windows 10
SSD: 157 G free space.

I have uploaded the test file to Dropbox for you to test out.
BIAB test link Here is the link.

Of note:
Bar 5 only Bass does micro! But adds a fifth note (C) !
Bars 13, 14 is where I copied micro to. There are No Vibes there now!
Bar 18 N/C.
I froze the tracks so you could hear exactly what I heard.
The tracks were not frozen while I was working with them.

BIABman #812893 06/08/24 04:35 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Your system look OK.
I just DLed the SGU but I am tied up this tonight and tomorrow I have a recording session. The earliest I can look at this is probably tomorrow night. Sorry about that.

Have you run Ccleaner, a full virus scan, and an Anti-malware scan? It probably isn't the problem but it is worth checking out if you haven't done it already. If your system is clean then the problem isn't with it.

MarioD #812894 06/08/24 04:49 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Your system look OK.
I just DLed the SGU but I am tied up this tonight and tomorrow I have a recording session. The earliest I can look at this is probably tomorrow night. Sorry about that.

Have you run Ccleaner, a full virus scan, and an Anti-malware scan? It probably isn't the problem but it is worth checking out if you haven't done it already. If your system is clean then the problem isn't with it.

Thanks Mario. I'm not going to go on a wild goose chase with this. smile
I'm too rational.
You are telling me someone might have created a sophisticated virus to target BIAB.
But not just any BIAB feature. Specifically the copying and pasting of micro-chords! LOL!!!

Have fun with the recording!

BIABman #812897 06/08/24 08:43 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I have uploaded the test file to Dropbox for you to test out.
BIAB test link Here is the link.

Of note:
Bar 18 N/C.
I froze the tracks so you could hear exactly what I heard.
The tracks were not frozen while I was working with them.

Worked for me:

BIABman #812898 06/08/24 08:45 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Of note:
Here are my results when copying to bars 5 & 6 to bars 13 & 14:

BIABman #812899 06/08/24 08:47 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
You are telling me someone might have created a sophisticated virus to target BIAB.
But not just any BIAB feature. Specifically the copying and pasting of micro-chords! LOL!!!
Hmmm, I doubt that this is what Mario was intending. I understood that he was assisting to ensure that your system doesn't have any computer virus. That's all. Nothing more than that.

AudioTrack #812900 06/08/24 08:54 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Of note:
Here are my results when copying to bars 5 & 6 to bars 13 & 14:

Thanks for sticking with me on this AudioTrack.
I will continue to do some more experimenting.

One thing of note that maybe you can check for me.

When I click on a regular bar of chords and hit Ctrl-C
I see in the bottom right corner a message highlighted in yellow saying:
"Song copied to the clipboard as text"

I see the exact same message when I click on the microchord!
But this is for something different I believe. For when you paste this
outside BIAB, say into a notepad document, you get a ton of info about the song.

Did you check on bars 5, 13 and 14 about what I wrote?

AudioTrack #812901 06/08/24 08:58 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Note that you will have to add a main chord as well as the micro-chords, because this style consists of held vibes, starting (usually) on the first beat of the bar, with each note (usually) 4 beats in length. There appears to be no place to trigger them from micro-chords. This presumably is a designed part of the specific track RT1217.

When I add a main chord, these vibes play perfectly on the original and copied notes (unfreeze first!):

AudioTrack #812902 06/08/24 08:59 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hmmm, I doubt that this is what Mario was intending. I understood that he was assisting to ensure that your system doesn't have any computer virus. That's all. Nothing more than that.

Yes but I was trying to think through logically what a potential virus would/wouldn't do.

None of my dozens and dozens of apps are 'misbehaving' in any way.
Only BIAB is.

So if I do have a virus, does it make sense that it would only affect BIAB?
See where I am coming from now?

AudioTrack #812903 06/08/24 09:10 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Note that you will have to add a main chord as well as the micro-chords, because this style consists of held vibes, starting (usually) on the first beat of the bar, with each note (usually) 4 beats in length. There appears to be no place to trigger them from micro-chords. This presumably is a designed part of the specific track RT1217.

When I add a main chord, these vibes play perfectly on the original and copied notes (unfreeze first!):

Thanks for that info about the 'main chord'. I did originally have a 'main chord' at the start. But when the micro chords started playing back in a 'wonky' fashion I started to experiment.
I thought the transparent chord (main chord) might be the reason it wasn't working.
I soon discovered I could delete everything in the bar and then add the micro chords and have the
'main chord' disappear. I thought this was a good thing!

Anyway I put back the main chord now and this is what happened.
On the first pass the micro chords played (not the best voicings though).
But... on the second pass I got a triplet feel on the first two chords and (2) 1/16ths , 1/16th rest and 1/16th note on the second beat (three chords instead of two). So back to 'wonky' (buggy) chords.

BIABman #812904 06/08/24 09:11 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, I think it's related to how this particular RealTrack was recorded. The notes are quite sparse.

I listened to the soloed vibes demo in the RealTracks picker. The performer doesn't start every note on the first beat, sometimes he plays as a pickup note (like a push). This may affect the result you are hearing when you have a chord on the first beat of the bar. I also tried adding a chord on the 4th beat of the preceding bar and this improved the result somewhat. Not perfect, but perhaps an improvement.

Maybe someone from PG Music can jump in and clarify why you are having so many issues with this style? They will know exactly how the track was recorded.

AudioTrack #812907 06/08/24 09:26 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Yes, I think it's related to how this particular RealTrack was recorded. The notes are quite sparse.

I listened to the soloed vibes demo in the RealTracks picker. The performer doesn't start every note on the first beat, sometimes he plays as a pickup note (like a push). This may affect the result you are hearing when you have a chord on the first beat of the bar. I also tried adding a chord on the 4th beat of the preceding bar and this improved the result somewhat. Not perfect, but perhaps an improvement.

Maybe someone from PG Music can jump in and clarify why you are having so many issues with this style? They will know exactly how the track was recorded.

Yes I hope someone from PG Music can help out.

There are no "soloed vibes" with this Test song. It uses _SMALLHR.STY.
Did you get only Bass notes playing the 'mico chords' in bar 5?
And did you notice the micro chords played by bass only, added a 5th note when there should have been only four?

Did you get the vibes playing in bars 13 and 14?
The micro chords should have been copied there. And the 'copying' affected the G chord in bar 14 because
it doesn't sound either.

"Of note:
Bars 13, 14 is where I copied micro to. There are No Vibes there now!. "

BIABman #812908 06/08/24 09:37 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Hi BIABman,

I can reproduce your issue with copying the microchords.

In your earlier post you said...
The C chord appeared.

By "selected", I'm guessing that you left-clicked the mouse on the C chord. This located the cursor at the C chord. Technically, this bar hasn't been "selected" because it's not blacked out at this stage. Pressing CTRL+C, in this instance, will copy the C chord in the first half of the bar. Then, when you locate the cursor somewhere else on the chordsheet, and use CTRL+V, the chord is pasted at this location (even if it's beat 3 of another bar).

When I try the above process with the microchords, clicking on the microchord (without selecting them), pressing CTRL+C followed by CTRL+V does not work.

However, if you select the whole bar as Audiotrack did by clicking on the microchords and dragging the mouse across the bar so that the bar turns black (to show that it's selected), then using CTRL+C followed by CTRL+V works fine.

Regards,
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #812911 06/08/24 10:50 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Good point Noel, many thanks.

I was presuming that the bar(s) were selected using the standard computer method used for selecting most objects, like holding the <shift> key pressed while clicking on the required bar(s), or with the <shift> key pressed, using the keyboard cursor arrow keys to select them, then pressing Control-C to make the actual copy of the selected objects.

Perhaps BIABman was not selecting bars that way at all?

AudioTrack #812913 06/08/24 11:38 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Good point Noel, many thanks.

I was presuming that the bar(s) were selected using the standard computer method used for selecting most objects, like holding the <shift> key pressed while clicking on the required bar(s), or with the <shift> key pressed, using the keyboard cursor arrow keys to select them, then pressing Control-C to make the actual copy of the selected objects.

Perhaps BIABman was not selecting bars that way at all?

I'm only guessing, Trev. But since I was able to reproduce BIABman's results doing it that way, it seems like a possibility.

It's interesting because selecting something by simply clicking on it is like clicking on a word in an MS Word document and to select it. This doesn't work and it's necessary to select the whole word in some way. That said, in MS Excel, the contents of a cell can be copied by simply clicking on a cell (and using CTRL+C/V). The underlying structure of the original BIAB chordsheet seems to resemble a spreadsheet's cell rather than the text in a document file. I'm guessing that the microchord addition to the chordsheet is more akin to a document overlay on the original spreadsheet-like base.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #812915 06/08/24 11:56 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted by Noel96
I'm guessing that the microchord addition to the chordsheet is more akin to a document overlay on the original spreadsheet-like base.

I think that's probably a very accurate assumption. Yes, some sort of overlay is probably in place.
Thanks for your input, as Mario and I have been trying to get this resolved for a few days now, it's really appreciated smile
Trev

AudioTrack #812956 06/09/24 07:04 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This is getting real interesting.
If I click on just the micro chords CTRL C & V doesn't' work. BUT if I highlight the entire measure CTRL C & V does work!
Would someone please verify on your machines.

PS - this illustrates how important it is to fully describe ones workflow and system specs when asking for help.

MarioD #812959 06/09/24 07:28 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
If I click on just the micro chords CTRL C & V doesn't' work. BUT if I highlight the entire measure CTRL C & V does work!

PS - this illustrates how important it is to fully describe ones workflow and system specs when asking for help.
Mario, yes, I was always highlighting the entire measure(s) with mouse select (see my animated screen captures), and presumed that the O/P was doing the same. But perhaps they did not use the same approach. I never presumed that one could successfully select half a measure with a single click. The cell doesn't even highlight the same way.

AudioTrack #812965 06/09/24 08:47 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran

Mario, yes, I was always highlighting the entire measure(s) with mouse select (see my animated screen captures), and presumed that the O/P was doing the same. But perhaps they did not use the same approach. I never presumed that one could successfully select half a measure with a single click. The cell doesn't even highlight the same way.

I also was using the highlight the measure(s) and using the mouse technique to copy them.
I didn't think anyone would/could copy and paste a half a measure either but I thought maybe that was what he was doing. As we said without his entire workflow we are flying blind and doing things the way WE do things and not necessarily His way of doing things.

Noel96 #812976 06/09/24 11:18 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi BIABman,

I can reproduce your issue with copying the microchords.

In your earlier post you said...
The C chord appeared.

By "selected", I'm guessing that you left-clicked the mouse on the C chord. This located the cursor at the C chord. Technically, this bar hasn't been "selected" because it's not blacked out at this stage. Pressing CTRL+C, in this instance, will copy the C chord in the first half of the bar. Then, when you locate the cursor somewhere else on the chordsheet, and use CTRL+V, the chord is pasted at this location (even if it's beat 3 of another bar).

When I try the above process with the microchords, clicking on the microchord (without selecting them), pressing CTRL+C followed by CTRL+V does not work.

However, if you select the whole bar as Audiotrack did by clicking on the microchords and dragging the mouse across the bar so that the bar turns black (to show that it's selected), then using CTRL+C followed by CTRL+V works fine.

Regards,
--Noel

Thanks Noel, AudioTrack and Mario for staying with me on this!

We have finally solved the 'copying' problem! Almost. smile

You are correct. I wasn't selecting by making the cell look black. I was simply clicking on the cell, that's all.
I say "Almost" because why is it that when I use this method for any non-micro chord cell, I can copy and then paste a chord to another bar?
Why is BIAB fussy about this only with micro chords?

Anyway, I've learned the trick and people need to be warned about this, OR PGMusic might be able to
allow micro chords to be copied using the same method (simply clicking on a bar).

Now let's continue because we are not out of the woods yet. We just solved the copying problem.

(BTW, the copying problem was the least of all my recent concerns.)

* I need to add a little more here on the copying. Up until now I had only tried the Micro Chord menu method for copying the micro chords just a few times, without any success. I just did a few more tests now with this method and here are the results:

One more copying 'quirk'.
The micros were only copied when the cell to be copied to was hovered over/clicked on OR
when any other cell was clicked on.

Last edited by BIABman; 06/09/24 02:21 PM. Reason: additional copying quirk

BIABman #812977 06/09/24 11:25 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
OK now that we've got the copying part out of the way, we still have some work to do, because there still are underlying bugs with the micro chords.

AudioTrack stated above that the 'main chord' is needed because the style I am using consists of held vibes???
He said the micro chords need to be triggered. This is news to me. Why do micro chords need to be "triggered".

If I type a C in a bar I expect to hear a C chord.
Why shouldn't I expect to hear a C and G in a bar if I type a micro chord with (C,G)?
-------------
Next test:
Bar 5 has Main chord C and micro chords (C,G)(C,G) on first two beats.
Bar 9 has just micro chords (C,G)(C,G) on first two beats.

Bar 5 plays a C chord and on top of that the Bass plays the 'micro chords' but also adds a fifth 'micro chord' after that.
Of course they aren't micro chords but rather single bass notes.

Bar 9 plays just the micro chords, but not by the Vibes!
The Bass once again plays the 'micro chords'. Single notes and also adds a fifth 'micro chord' after that!

Of course the bass should not be playing the micro chords alone and there should NOT be a fifth note played.

To me these are bugs. They are reproducible.

BIABman #812985 06/09/24 02:28 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I tried to explain that the style consists of held chords, which generally start on the first beat of the bar. Micro-chords don't necessarily start on the first beat of the bar. So if the recording doesn't have a note to play on e.g. 'the and of the first beat', because no sound has ever been recorded at that point, you won't necessarily expect to hear anything from that micro-chord position.

Remember that RealTracks are pre-recorded audio passages, not MIDI. If the performer didn't record anything on that beat position, there's nothing to play back.

AudioTrack #812986 06/09/24 02:33 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Try temporarily changing that track to a MIDI style and see if there is a difference.
Alternatively, try changing that track to some other style (not vibes) and see if there is a difference in what plays on those specific bars / beats. That might assist you to understand that if there are no notes recorded at those positions by the recording artist, then there is nothing available to play back.

AudioTrack #812988 06/09/24 02:44 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I tried to explain that the style consists of held chords, which generally start on the first beat of the bar. Micro-chords don't necessarily start on the first beat of the bar. So if the recording doesn't have a note to play on e.g. 'the and of the first beat', because no sound has ever been recorded at that point, you won't necessarily expect to hear anything from that micro-chord position.

Remember that RealTracks are pre-recorded audio passages, not MIDI. If the performer didn't record anything on that beat position, there's nothing to play back.

Thanks again AudioTrack.
I'm still trying to understand the basic concepts of BIAB and audio,

I listen to a style and like it. In this case it's mostly long held chords for each bar.
How do you and I know that the musician who recorded the style didn't ALSO record a bunch of other stuff during their recording session that's there to be called upon if necessary? Perhaps consisting of syncopated stuff?
Starting on beat 4 or beat 1& etc. etc. etc.?

I don't understand how you can say "Oh the micro chords can only be played IF the main chords occur here and there". That totally baffles me.
Unless someone from PG Music tells me otherwise, I'd think that a micro chord can chop up anything that the musician recorded at their session. So it can take a long held chord and chop it up into pieces.
Or are you also saying that micro chords can only be played if the musician recorded 'x' number of micro chords?
That's a heck of a lot of micro chords to record!
Every main chord they recorded and then chopped up, sliced and diced. smile

AudioTrack #812997 06/09/24 03:59 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Try temporarily changing that track to a MIDI style and see if there is a difference.
Alternatively, try changing that track to some other style (not vibes) and see if there is a difference in what plays on those specific bars / beats. That might assist you to understand that if there are no notes recorded at those positions by the recording artist, then there is nothing available to play back.

Thanks.
The further and further I go down this rabbit hole the more complicated and weird things get.
One thing about BIAB that's a certainty.
There's never a dull moment with the program. frown

I couldn't figure out how to swap the audio parts for midi so I went for a change of style.
I swapped _SMALLHR for _SJAZZC1 and got more unexpected results.

I am working with the same chords:
Bar 5 has a 'main chord' of C plus two micro chords, (C,G) and (C,G) on beats one and two.
Bar 9 has NO 'main chord' but has two micro chords, (C,G) and (C,G) on beats one and two.

This is what I heard:
Bar 5 played the micro chords straight this time using the Electric piano and bass played them too.
Bar 9 played the micro chords straight this time using the Electric piano and bass played them too.
BUT along with this a C chord was played right after the micro chords DESPITE there being NO C CHORD
in the chart!
It did it in bar 5 and 9.
So once again unexpected results.

Not to mention the highly disturbing liberties that BIAB is taking, by ignoring the chords I typed in!
Playing a bunch of upper extensions on my F7 chord and changing one of my G chords to G7! frown

BIABman #813006 06/09/24 07:01 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Not to mention the highly disturbing liberties that BIAB is taking, by ignoring the chords I typed in!
Playing a bunch of upper extensions on my F7 chord and changing one of my G chords to G7! frown
About this part, take a look at the article I wrote in Tips and Tricks: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=694482#Post694482

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
BIABman #813007 06/09/24 07:27 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I don't understand how you can say "Oh the micro chords can only be played IF the main chords occur here and there". That totally baffles me.
I think that's taken a little out of context. With this Style, the vibes (generally) play on the first beat of the bar, and not on any other beat position.

Remember that this is an audio recording. If there is nothing already recorded on one of the micro-chord positions then there is no audio available to play back. But you can add a chord to the first beat of the bar and then, if there is audio available at that beat position, it can be played back.

I'm not sure how I can explain that more clearly. This is pre-recorded audio. It's not made up on the fly like MIDI. If there's no audio ever recorded on a different part of the bar, then there's nothing to play back. But for this style, there is usually audio recorded on the first beat. That's not a bug at all. If no audio was recorded at other beat positions, then how can one expect sound to be delivered?

BIABman #813008 06/09/24 07:35 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I changed the Vibes track to MIDI using the Vibes from HeldBosa.Sty

As I expected, the micro-chords play, because this is MIDI, not a pre-recorded audio passage where no audio was originally recorded at those other beat positions.

Matt Finley #813009 06/09/24 07:38 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
About this part, take a look at the article I wrote in Tips and Tricks: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=694482#Post694482

👍

AudioTrack #813011 06/09/24 07:40 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Please give the above MIDI substitution a try and see if that delivers something that you are more ideally looking for. It gives long held chords, similar to the vibes in _SMALLHR Style, but can follow the micro-chords you so desire:

AudioTrack #813013 06/09/24 07:59 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I changed the Vibes track to MIDI using the Vibes from HeldBosa.Sty

As I expected, the micro-chords play, because this is MIDI, not a pre-recorded audio passage where no audio was originally recorded at those other beat positions.

Thanks again Audio Track for helping!
I followed all of your steps above and made the Midi substitution.
But....

As soon as I hit either Play or Regen.
The substitution changes from what you/I entered to:
Piano Custom MIDI Style: 1 Acoustic Piano

Even if I FREEZE the track!!!
It never stuck to what I changed it to!

Anyway. I'm bailing out now on this.
I appreciate all the effort you have put into this.
I mentioned a few times above that the micro chords are the least important of all the problems I was having.

Again the most important thing for me is to get as full a sound as possible, like the Band demos Peter linked to at the beginning of one of these threads.

Once I have that I should be able to manage my way to a decent-sounding song.

BIABman #813014 06/09/24 08:28 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Here's the song with the MIDI Vibes substituted. Note that I have frozen the Vibes track. Unfreeze if you want to alter anything / regenerate.

Test Song with MIDI Vibes

Good luck!

Last edited by AudioTrack; 06/09/24 08:28 PM.

AudioTrack #813016 06/09/24 08:46 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Here's the song with the MIDI Vibes substituted. Note that I have frozen the Vibes track. Unfreeze if you want to alter anything / regenerate.

Test Song with MIDI Vibes

Good luck!

Thanks AudioTrack again!
Yes, you managed to get the correct Midi vibes to stick (I wasn't able to as I mentioned).
But what happened to the Bass part? It's gone when I play the song.
I just hear the Vibes and Drums (brushes).

BIABman #813019 06/09/24 10:15 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thanks AudioTrack again!
Yes, you managed to get the correct Midi vibes to stick (I wasn't able to as I mentioned).
But what happened to the Bass part? It's gone when I play the song.
I just hear the Vibes and Drums (brushes).
Try this one:
BIAB MIDI Vibes Test Song
All I did was unfreeze and regenerate. The Bass is playing OK now on my system. I didn't check the bass previously (too busy getting the vibes right....)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Also, you might consider opening your original post and marking it 'Resolved', there's a button for that.

I don't believe that this is a bug, it's completely related to the way that the vibes performance has been played in the actual recording of this specific RealTrack audio.

The RealTrack memo includes the statement: "The simple version of Vibes, Rhythm Jazz Sw 110 omits busy riffs and some non-diatonic tensions." The vibes are mostly played as long 'held' chords.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
BiaBman, on a side note you have asked about getting the same or similar sound as on the demos. To do so you will need a few plug-in effects; note NOT the effects that come with BiaB. If you already have good effects then you can just ignore this message. You should have at least the following effects:
1-reverb
2-delay
3-EQ
4-compressor
5-limiter

A good place to start looking for some of these are at waves :
https://www.waves.com/plugins#sort:path~type~order=.default-order~number~asc|views:view=grid-view|paging:currentPage=0|paging:number=18

There are other individual instrument effects that are very helpful.

PS - there are many other companies other than Waves that produce great effects. I just chose them as they are all in one place., Note that I do not work for or represent Waves in any way, I just like and use many of there effects. YMMV

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
BiaBman, on a side note you have asked about getting the same or similar sound as on the demos. To do so you will need a few plug-in effects; note NOT the effects that come with BiaB. If you already have good effects then you can just ignore this message. You should have at least the following effects:
1-reverb
2-delay
3-EQ
4-compressor
5-limiter

A good place to start looking for some of these are at waves :
https://www.waves.com/plugins#sort:path~type~order=.default-order~number~asc|views:view=grid-view|paging:currentPage=0|paging:number=18

There are other individual instrument effects that are very helpful.

Thanks Mario!
👍

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I re-read this thread. I’m wondering if a Pentium Celeron J4105 meets the required minimum specs to run microchords successfully.

But I still think AudioTrack has identified a good reason since this is about vibes. I play vibes. The approach to playing the instrument is to use what it does wonderfully: sustain notes. I don’t think microchords would do a good job chopping up prerecorded audio to stick a sound on a specific short location. I could be wrong on that assumption.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
biabman...re celeron j4105....

re the foollowing if you doubt my advice go to gearspace.com
where studios large and small hang out and ask there for comments re celeron j4105 for music production. cos i dont want to irk anyone..just trying to help.

note the stats on this processir eg single thread around 1100.
i recommend 3000 score for a music creation pc.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+J4105+%40+1.50GHz

the above site has great processor comparison stats.
compare on the site the celeron stats and other processors.
eg single thread and math stats.

on the tips forum are tips on acquiring or useing a pc for music production.
note...for a few hundted bucks one can get refurb pc or new pc eg my ryzen mini
pc that blows the doors off. see my tips for more info.

hth someone.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/13/24 04:23 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I guess I was sometimes trying to politely identify that this might have been a 'picnic' situation. wink

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted by justanoldmuso
biabman...re celeron j4105....

re the foollowing if you doubt my advice go to gearspace.com
where studios large and small hang out and ask there for comments re celeron j4105 for music production. cos i dont want to irk anyone..just trying to help.

note the stats on this processir eg single thread around 1100.
i recommend 3000 score for a music creation pc.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+J4105+%40+1.50GHz

the above site has great processor comparison stats.
compare on the site the celeron stats and other processors.
eg single thread and math stats.

on the tips forum are tips on acquiring or useing a pc for music production.
note...for a few hundted bucks one can get refurb pc or new pc eg my ryzen mini
pc that blows the doors off. see my tips for more info.

hth someone.

om

Thanks muso.
Many here take things for granted. smile

I mentioned in another thread already that I am very sensitive to EMF's.
When I was putting together my new system a few years ago, my number one priority
was to get components (CPU etc.) that were low-powered!!!

Over the years I noticed that low power translates into low impact on my head!
So I would rather have a slower system and put up with all its 'downsides'
if it means I will feel and stay healthy. smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Biabman.

very understandeable...
just a couple of shot in the dark ideas.

1...on gearspace.com are a ton of studios large and small.
and also various very very expereienced electonics engineers.
if were me i would start a thread there on gs detailing your emf situation and asking for advice on a new pc with the following attributes....
....very very low emf and
....with a processor with a single thread score around 3000..

2...another idea might be talk to companies that specialise in building turnkey systems for recording studios.
these are often very experienced builders includeing silent pc's...
and might have good ideas re a very very low e.f pc.
once again such builders often hang out on gearspace.
they often hang out also at the reaper.fm forums.

or just google builder of pc's for recording studios.
eg one of many...
!https://silentpc.com/daw/
but such custom pc's might not solve the problem...
but it doesnt hurt to ask...and thus get a written assurance of very low emf.
a final idea is mini pc's are very cheap and now powerfull.
eg my ryzen cost few hundred bucks....and rb reports i can do crazy track counts.

if were me i might contact such companies eg beelink or geekom
or others and see what they can do for you.
maybe also contact pc manufacturers like lenovo or hp or asus or acer
ie their support folks and see if they have any ideas re low emf.

on any purchase i would get assurance that you can return the pc
if in fact it gives you problems....

just some ideas.

i hope you get a solution at some point that addresses emf...

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/13/24 07:06 PM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Biabman.

very understandeable...
just a couple of shot in the dark ideas.

1...on gearspace.com are a ton of studios large and small.
and also various very very expereienced electonics engineers.
if were me i would start a thread there on gs detailing your emf situation and asking for advice on a new pc with the following attributes....
....very very low emf and
....with a processor with a single thread score around 3000..

just some ideas.

i hope you get a solution at some point that addresses emf...

happiness.

om

Thanks muso I've made a note of your post. smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I re-read this thread. I’m wondering if a Pentium Celeron J4105 meets the required minimum specs to run microchords successfully.

But I still think AudioTrack has identified a good reason since this is about vibes. I play vibes. The approach to playing the instrument is to use what it does wonderfully: sustain notes. I don’t think microchords would do a good job chopping up prerecorded audio to stick a sound on a specific short location. I could be wrong on that assumption.

Thanks Matt.
You offered two possibilities as to what's causing the problem.

I took some extra time now to rule out your first possibility.

I took the original commercial recording of the song and merged it with BIAB's version of it.
If your theory was correct (my system is too slow to play it properly) then it wouldn't be able to play the
commercial recording properly either. But it does play it properly.

Please listen to the link below.

I have recorded the bars with the 'micro chords' three times for each version.
First you'll hear the commercial version and then BIAB.
(Of note, the guitar is covering up much of the vibes in these bars, in the commercial version.)

As far as your second possibility is concerned, I don't see why a sustained sound can't be chopped up to fit these
BIAB <cough> 'triplets'.

Original vs. BIAB

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I don’t know about my second point. It’s just a possibility. It also still may be related to my first point.

About my first point, no, and this reveals a very common misconception. The least powerful PC from 15 years ago with a Realtec chip will play any prerecorded audio file just fine. That just isn’t a useful comparison. What’s harder to understand is that almost any DAW will play back a massive project, if you adjust the playback buffers properly. Here’s the important point: BIAB is not like any other audio program you are likely to use. Although BIAB 2024 greatly improved the generation of RealTracks, BIAB puts a lot of stress on your computer resources to do what it does. The only analogy I’ve seen that comes close is something like Song Master Pro taking many minutes to generate stems when run on an underpowered machine. Make no mistake, your processor is underpowered for what you are doing.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Make no mistake, your processor is underpowered for what you are doing.

Well that's news to me. smile

I've got dozens of apps that I run and none has complained yet.
If you are saying that BIAB is complaining when it tries to run the triplets you'll have to prove it to me.

That is, take my song, run it on your faster computer, and make a recording of the triplets as they SHOULD sound. smile
When I hear it played like triplets, smoothly I'll believe it!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I played the drop-box audio.
Question: Is there a reason that it is 33 seconds of audio followed by 7 minutes and 12 seconds of silence?

If I understand correctly, there seems to be a misunderstanding about the 'commercial demo' and BIAB's version. The 'commercial' version is a pre-made audio file. It doesn't need BIAB to generate anything to listen to it. It's a pre-made audio recording. The BIAB demo version needs BIAB to generate and perform the music. Can you follow the difference? It's quite a significant difference.

What did PG Music support say about their demo and why you can't satisfactorily achieve the same result?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
biabman.

i agree with matt...please allow me to point out something.
and please note we all here are sincerely trying to help you.

often people will say to me many many times over the years ...why the hey can i run all my apps on my pc but then music creation apps either crash or go pear shaped on me.

the answer mate is music production apps are completely different than say a email or spreadsheet or other app. totally different coding structures need to be used by the daw programmers.

one extremely important difference is daws and biab are very
time dependent...whereas if there is a bit of a lag re most apps the user wont notice unless it gets really looong.

in summary its all about action and reaction.
in music apps the music app has to always be in INSTANT react mode and one must understand that win is not a real time operating system...
thus the daw programmers use look ahead buffer techniques to create an illusion of quick reaction for the user.

if you want to run a fun test sometime and its a great test of a pc...
in a daws timeline start clicking randomly while tracks play back.and notice how fast the daw and pc react.
now on a couple of tracks you will prolly hear no lag BUT as the track count goes up and/or plugins are added which consume more pc resources youll start to hear a lag as the pc struggles to keep up...until finally everyhing goes pear shaped.
Ie the pc just cant keep up mate.

in summary music apps are doing a ton of things in the background that a normal app isnt doing to create an ILLUSION of instant reaction.

what ive explained to folks in the past is a desert island analogy.
imagine a desert island with 2 people on it and one supply of food...
they are prolly ok while waiting a few days to be rescued...but...
now imagine 100 people on the same island...all hey is gonna break out and fights for the one golden food source....its all about competition for scarce resources.

bottom line is music production is very demanding of pc resources.
particularly as track and plugin counts grow mate.
biab is doing a ton of things in the background lots of normal apps arent. one cant compare the two.

wanna test any pc out ??
heres how i used to do it ...any pc i was thinking of buying i would install a daw on...i had a friendly pc shop...then i would start clicking on the time line after adding tracks and plugins.....and see at what point the lag got bad.
Ie action and reaction.

My very best advice to you biabman...and i mean this in the most friendliest sincerest way is to find a more powrfull low emf pc if you can at some point mate....and make sure you can return it if in fact it doesnt have low emf.
if were me as i said before i would contact refurbishers of pc's...mainstream manufacturers of normal pc's ..mini pc manufacturers ....and particularly most importantly if wereme i would contact builders of computers for recording studios...
eg adkproaudio or studiocat or silentpc and others...and see if they can help. maybe also intel and amd and manufacturers of pc power supplies and ssd storage devices etc etc....ie the parts comprising a pc.

sincerely i hope the above helps.

happiness

om. 🇨🇦🇨🇦 🇬🇧🇬🇧

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/15/24 05:34 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I played the drop-box audio.
Question: Is there a reason that it is 33 seconds of audio followed by 7 minutes and 12 seconds of silence?

Thanks for your reply AudioTrack!

Good first question. I was putting together the commercial and BIAB recordings inside Reaper.
As many know here Reaper is dripping with tons of features. Like BIAB, I don't use Reaper very often either.
When I exported my finished file from Reaper I didn't even realize I was exporting the entire commercial song (muted).
I had isolated the couple of bars that we can hear, onto another track but, but didn't cut out the original whole song.
Thus we got the 7+ minutes of silence. smile

If I understand correctly, there seems to be a misunderstanding about the 'commercial demo' and BIAB's version. The 'commercial' version is a pre-made audio file. It doesn't need BIAB to generate anything to listen to it. It's a pre-made audio recording. The BIAB demo version needs BIAB to generate and perform the music. Can you follow the difference? It's quite a significant difference.

I understand what you are saying.
I gave Matt a challenge yesterday and I will extend it to you and anyone else who might wish to take it up.

1. Fire up BIAB on your super duper computer system.
2. Punch in the micro chords (E9,F9) (E9,F9) a few bars into the song, using the _JAZVIBE.STY.
3. Play the song.

If you can get the micro chord bar to play smooth triplet eighths I'll be your monkey's uncle. smile

* Note. This challenge goes out to only those who have a super duper computer system!
If you have a wimpy computer like mine you are ineligible to take part.

What did PG Music support say about their demo and why you can't satisfactorily achieve the same result?

I think you are mixing together a few different topic posts I made here.
In one post I was trying to get a style to sound like the band demo they have at their website.
The techie told me that the band demos are not styles and I couldn't use them as such. ie I wouldn't be able to get the same sound in BIAB.

A tech also worked with me in chat on the micro chords, but we didn't get very far with that.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
biabman...

ok ill bite..love the fun of trying...lol.
my comments...

need a clarification...

there are a few demos re jazvibe style in stylepicker.
which demo do you want me to use ?...and tempo ??...then ill modify it with triplets....and test.

the problem your experiencing ...and i might get egg on my face as im not a jazzpro...im a rocker... might be how the style was created...maybe pick up notes ?? so your hearing 'bunny hops' instead of straight triplets ??
over the years ive noted some creativity re how the generated tracks are created.
sometimes i have to do subtle editing.

it would be better if you posted the bb sgu somewhere so i and other bb users can test and so we all are working from the same reference song.
gonna be fun.

im just watching euro soccer on fox tv here.

happiness..

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/15/24 11:46 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
biabman...

ok ill bite..love the fun of trying...lol.
my comments...

it would be better if you posted the bb sgu somewhere so i and other bb users can test and so we all are working from the same reference song.
gonna be fun.

im just watching euro soccer on fox tv here.

happiness..

om

Thanks again for helping om.
OK I have posted the song with its style. Here is the link.
Micro chord test song

This BIAB song would be an excellent tool to train aspiring jazz pianists wishing to play in the spastic style of Thelonius Monk. smile

Enjoy your soccer game!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
bbman...

dropbox wants me to sign up ...sigh...please use an alternate..so i dont have to go thru the rigmerole.

thanks.

om

BIABman #813998 06/15/24 02:46 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Veteran
Veteran
D
2. Punch in the micro chords (E9,F9) (E9,F9) a few bars into the song, using the _JAZVIBE.STY.
3. Play the song.

If you can get the micro chord bar to play smooth triplet eighths I'll be your monkey's uncle. smile

* Note. This challenge goes out to only those who have a super duper computer system!

Well I like to think I have a "super duper computer system", However, using your file and editing however possible, best I could get was everything except "smooth triplet eighths" crazy

Final Tour - Not with a Bang but with a wimper! Ended.

DrDan #814000 06/15/24 02:53 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted by DrDan
3. Play the song.

Well I like to think I have a "super duper computer system", However, using your file and editing however possible, best I could get was everything except "smooth triplet eighths" crazy

Thanks for trying Dan, I really appreciate it. smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
bbman...

dropbox wants me to sign up ...sigh...please use an alternate..so i dont have to go thru the rigmerole.

thanks.

om

Gee I didn't know one needed a Dropbox account to download the file.
I'll see if I can find another site then.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
bbman...
om

Om,

You don't need to sign up for Dropbox to get the file.
1) Click on "Download" when you first encounter it.
2) Then, when you get to the below sign-in window, click on "Continue with download only" at the bottom of it.

--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
bbman...
om

Om,

You don't need to sign up for Dropbox to get the file.
1) Click on "Download" when you first encounter it.
2) Then, when you get to the below sign-in window, click on "Continue with download only" at the bottom of it.

--Noel

[img]https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=28142&filename=no need to sign
in.jpg[/img]

Thanks Noel for helping out!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
OK, I'm back home today on my reasonably super-duper system.

First, yes, your description of Thelonius Monk is just right to describe the first beat. And that's not a compliment to Monk; I always wondered a bit when I heard his playing. The second beat, I might describe as someone falling down the stairs while playing.

Now, why?

The first thing I see is that you call have been discussing triplets, but the Microchords dialog does not show that. The Chordsheet shows E9,,F9. Note the two commas. This sets up a triplet with the missing middle note.

I didn't yet listen to what you are trying to accomplish, and whether it is supposed to be Swing feel. Give me some time later.

Interestingly, Bar 17 does sound like triplets, but you didn't enter any chords there. I have no idea why that one worked, at least to my ear. Perhaps the program saw the attempted rhythm in bar 16, and although it played that spastically, it "got the idea" to do something similar in bar 17 comping, and got it right. We users can only guess at that one.

Fun little project.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Noel...

thanks i must be getting stupid as i age...

in my defence my wife was dangling in front of me a nice souvlaki dinner...
im a sucker for that...lol

om off to test now...

note bbman...

matt is way better than i at music theory.
i was distracted in music theory class years back by my new lovely music teacher...
yep im a sucker lol.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
The first thing I see is that you call have been discussing triplets, but the Microchords dialog does not show that. The Chordsheet shows E9,,F9. Note the two commas. This sets up a triplet with the missing middle note.

Thanks again Matt for taking the time on this. smile

Interesting find. I didn't even notice it.

Allow me to explain. First off, when I'm talking about 'triplets' I'm talking about the potential to play, one, two, or three of the triplet notes per beat. And in ALL the configurations:

one note on first beat
one note on second beat
one note on third beat
two notes (on first and second beat)
two notes (on first and third beat)
two notes (second and third beat)
three notes on first, second and third beats.

In my case, I was hoping for the traditional jazz 'swing eighth notes' to be played by BIAB, where jazzers wouldn't even write anything but eighth notes and the player knows they are to be played as triplet eighths.

You mentioned the E9,,F9 showing in the micro chord dialogue box. At first I was puzzled, but quickly figured it out.
It allows a user to use any of the seven possible configurations I mentioned above.
So in my case, it uses by default the most common (swing eighths). I did not enter the two commas, it put them in itself.

I didn't yet listen to what you are trying to accomplish, and whether it is supposed to be Swing feel. Give me some time later.

I could give you the entire recording I am working with so you know the feel for I'm aiming for with these micro chords.
But basically the feel is all there in this link I posted earlier, comparing the commercial recording with BIAB's attempt at the triplet chords.

Commercial vs. BIAB micro chords

Interestingly, Bar 17 does sound like triplets, but you didn't enter any chords there. I have no idea why that one worked, at least to my ear. Perhaps the program saw the attempted rhythm in bar 16, and although it played that spastically, it "got the idea" to do something similar in bar 17 comping, and got it right. We users can only guess at that one.

Fun little project.

Yes that was certainly wacky!
I didn't even know there was music in bar 17. I stopped listening before BIAB got that far on playback.
But you are right, isn't that strange? It is playing the triplets correctly in that bar despite there not being any chords entered there! smile

I think I got it now. In the future, I won't enter any chords or notation in bars where I want micro chords.
I will just think of them and BIAB will work its telepathy magic and bingo, the chords will be there, invisible of course. smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
bbman.

my comments...

1...this has nothing go do with a pc at this point as it uses miniscule pc resources.
oodles of tracks would of course consume lots of resources.
and if you had midi tracks in bb driving resource hungry orchestra libraries plugins...whole different story.
best bet on your celeron is...if doing large projects...monitor pc resource useage via win task manager.
fyi ive seen people lulled into a false sense of security until one more track or plugin brings the whole house of cards down.
let me stress im not trying to be insulting...ive just seen too many probs in the past with lower end processors.
for example in your daw running lots of imported tracks generated from bb and a bunch of resource heavy plugins dfifferent story.
ie per my desert island story upthread.

2...did you want swing ??

3...ok i didnt have any technical hiccups or stumbles here...
its more related to the arrangement of the chords...
am i correct on the e9 chord you want 'da da da'...and followed by f9...
'da da da' again....ie 2 triplet sets ?? e9 followed by f9 ??
ie e9/e9/e9//f9/f9/f9. in one bar ??...// being seperator.

4...frankly ...and matt is way more expert than i...i write songs by feel.
im bad at theory....but one comment i feel is appropo is i think it might be the way the vibes rt works...ie in some ways this is non rigid freeform jazz ?? and thus tracks are not so rigid ??

5...i feel given your triplet need maybe if you want stricter triplets you might use a piano roll or midi kbd to enter the triplets and then quantise. in this case the midi track would drive a plugin set to vibes.
because in this case...the vibes track when i erased the bb audio track bb didnt ask md to keep the midi track...ie there didnt seem to be an associated mici track..i would try a midi supertrack and see if you can get a better triplets result. because try as i might i couldnt get the strict da da da ie e9 followed by da da da ie f9.
i think its just the way the style works....and a stricter triplet midi track might work better.

now i...lol...await matt to tell me im wrong and out to lunch as he is a guru at this stuff compared to i.
i ducked out of theory class often cos i was dating at the time...
i cant say more on these forums lmao.

now im off t o have another go at your song ...BUT...useing a midi supertrack this time to replace the vibes...

happiness.

om. 🇨🇦🇨🇦. 🇬🇧🇬🇧

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/15/24 05:20 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
bbman.

my comments...

1...this has nothing go do with a pc at this point as it uses miniscule pc resources.

Thanks for confirming what I thought muso. smile

Yes, definitely, triplet 'swing eighths'.

No you don't understand what I am after.
As I explained to Matt, if there was a melody, as jazzers we would simply write a string of eighth notes and nothing more. All jazzers know they are to be played as 'swing eighths' (triplet feel).
The chords that you see on beats 1 and 2 are meant to be played in a triplet feel.
There are only two chords on each beat, not the three you wrote above.
So BIAB please play these two micro chords as triplet feel!

4...frankly ...and matt is way more expert than i...i write songs by feel.
im bad at theory....but one comment i feel is appropo is i think it might be the way the vibes rt works...ie in some ways this is non rigid freeform jazz ?? and thus tracks are not so rigid ??

I have no idea how the vibe tracks work as opposed to any other real track. I do know that Peter's brother Oliver is a jazz musician (maybe Peter is too?) and so they are always conscious of jazz application with their coding.

5...i feel given your triplet need maybe if you want stricter triplets you might use a piano roll or midi kbd to enter the triplets and then quantise. in this case the midi track would drive a plugin set to vibes.
because in this case...the vibes track when i erased the bb audio track bb didnt ask md to keep the midi track...ie there didnt seem to be an associated mici track..i would try a midi supertrack and see if you can get a better triplets result. because try as i might i couldnt get the strict da da da ie e9 followed by da da da ie f9.
i think its just the way the style works....and a stricter triplet midi track might work better.

While midi/midi keyboard etc.might end up giving me the triplet feel I am after you need to know where I am coming from.
First of all, this is not a make or break BIAB song. I could even LEAVE out the triplet chords and it would be OK!
Second, I am more after the principle now, how BIAB works (or doesn't work). If BIAB adds a feature, it should work, out of the box.
Plain and simple.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Boy, I wish I could tell you what's under the hood!

Sorry - I did not mean to imply you entered the two commas. What that all means is that you can enter Microchords in BIAB two ways: you can do it in that dialog box, as you did, or, if you are up for a real challenge, key them in. The educational aspect of that dialog box is that it does show you what the graphical interface will translate into a code you could have typed in. That's how I spotted that it wasn't coded as a triplet. Make sense? That pattern makes a pulse in your measures like this: Note Rest Note Note Rest Note etc. Say those six things evenly in time.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
bbman...

re triplets...

ok mate diagram ONE BAR for me so we are on same page ...in a 4/4 as shown by your style choice...
ie the triplets in relation to beats.
btw my example was two triplets to a bar...if im wrong tell me what you want so i can test.

do you want first triplet to start on beat 1 and second triplet to start on beat 3 ?? or something else.

i will CONFIRM ONE THING...i just loaded a piano midi supertrack and by futzing with piano roll editing got better triplets than useing the vibes rt. in this case i tested 2 sets of triplets per bar.

if ive misunderstood your triplets need...
please diagram out what you want triplet wise in one bar.in relation to beats.

overall i feel certain youll get closer to what you want by useing an rt with also underlying midi info which you can change rather than the vibes in the style which doesnt seem to include underlying midi.
hope i make sense. let me emphasise in summary that imho you will need to roll your own triplets via a piano roll or event list or a midi kbd.
ie so you control the outcome.

thats all i got mate...but i would like to do another test once you diagram which beats the triplets fsll on in one bar....cos its not clear to me what you want.

cheers....lotsa fun...lol

om

ps...matt...re note rest note repeated ...this is what i just tested in piano roll with a midi supertrack. its very accurate and more user controllable ??

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/15/24 06:23 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Boy, I wish I could tell you what's under the hood!

Sorry - I did not mean to imply you entered the two commas. What that all means is that you can enter Microchords in BIAB two ways: you can do it in that dialog box, as you did, or, if you are up for a real challenge, key them in. The educational aspect of that dialog box is that it does show you what the graphical interface will translate into a code you could have typed in. That's how I spotted that it wasn't coded as a triplet. Make sense? That pattern makes a pulse in your measures like this: Note Rest Note Note Rest Note etc. Say those six things evenly in time.

Right.
I did at first think you meant I had entered two commas instead of one.
But not the way you were thinking.

I started this whole exercise focusing on the main chord entry page. When I first discovered these micro chords (just a week or two ago) I was entering them on the chord page. That's why I kept writing (E9,F9) here, exactly what I was typing in the bars.
It was only later that I learned about the nitty gritty dialogue box. But in the end it didn't help out at all. frown

So when you started talking about the two commas, I first thought you meant I had entered (E9,,F9) on the chord page.

The main takeaway for me at this point in time, was the discovery by you, that inside bar 17 were the magical triplets I was searching for.
This proves that BIAB IS capable of playing them!

And the best part is that BIAB is capable of playing them on my old, useless, slow, under-powered ancient computer system. smile

Now we just need to discover HOW to key this in so it will play them WHENEVER WE WANT!

I don't think anyone here has the answer to that yet.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
bbman...

see my last reply...

imho only dr gannon can answer how intuitive bb is and why it does one thing one way and fifferent another way per your bar 17 example.
bb i suspect has various tricks and randomness so things dont get robotic ??

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/15/24 06:34 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
bbman...

re triplets...

ok mate diagram ONE BAR for me so we are on same page ...in a 4/4 as shown by your style choice...
ie the triplets in relation to beats.
btw my example was two triplets to a bar...if im wrong tell me what you want so i can test.

do you want first triplet to start on beat 1 and second triplet to start on beat 3 ?? or something else.

om

Here ya go Muso.

Triplet chords

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
thanks ok so note rest note...etc etc...like matt said.
thats what i did in piano roll...

by the way here in blank bar 17 i got on genning...

da da da daaaaa last note longer

unless dr pg or matt corrects me if were me to get the strict pattern in your image i would get that useing a piano roll or event editor....

lots of fun.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/15/24 06:52 PM.

DrDan #814034 06/15/24 06:50 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Veteran
Veteran
D

I am pretty sure I know exactly what we are trying to get here, and as i said I made every combination in F6 for these bars and there was everything but the "one and a two and a" ...

DrDan #814035 06/15/24 07:08 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B

I am pretty sure I know exactly what we are trying to get here, and as i said I made every combination in F6 for these bars and there was everything but the "one and a two and a" ...

It's a tricky bugger for sure. smile

BIABman #814038 06/15/24 07:43 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Anyone have sheet music for this? That's my language. Somebody earlier in some thread asked if I know notation. Yes, I do. I have written pieces for big bands and symphony orchestras.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Anyone have sheet music for this? That's my language. Somebody earlier in some thread asked if I know notation. Yes, I do. I have written pieces for big bands and symphony orchestras.

I don't have sheet music for it, but I was trying to trace that magic chord in bar 17. How it got there etc.
The best I could do was peek into the Audio view, and see the wave for it.
Then I copied it to another bar to see how I could manipulate it.

But I still don't have a clue how to enter it in the Chord view. I even tried to copy and paste the invisible bar but that didn't work.

Actually, come to think of it, I do have the sheet music for the song, but it's inside a video, if that would help you.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I was trying to get a style to sound like the band demo they have at their website.
If you can get the micro chord bar to play smooth triplet eighths I'll be your monkey's uncle.

OK, Back to basics. I need to get some clarification. Please explain if the Band Demo you mentioned above played the smooth triplet eights you are seeking. Yes, or No?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I was trying to get a style to sound like the band demo they have at their website.
If you can get the micro chord bar to play smooth triplet eighths I'll be your monkey's uncle.

OK, Back to basics. I need to get some clarification. Please explain if the Band Demo you mentioned above played the smooth triplet eights you are seeking. Yes, or No?

Hi AudioTrack.

Oh no. These are two totally separate issues.
The Band demo was strictly a general 'style sound' issue.
The micro chord bar is dealing specifically with micro chords.

There were no micro chords involved in the Band demo/style discussion.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
bbman...

i dont know if this helps but im kinda chuffed at myself...lol.
got it working per your note layout image.
not bad for a dumb rocker like me...lol.

ie...da tada tadadadadadada...right ??
in swing jazz vibe...

heres how i got it...hopefully it helps eg bar 14.

1..i erased the existing frozen vibes real track in track window....then
2..i left bar 14 in chord window blank...then
3...i entered in bb piano roll your note pattern per your note image..then...
4...i used sforzando p!ugin i loaded up on what was your vibes track i had deleted..what was a rt waveform track..now a midi track...then...
5...in sforzando i used playable track set to vibes in sforzando.
et voila...success.

yippee...phew...lmao.
i know its a tad convoluted but it was only way to do it useing piano roll in conjunction with selecting playable vibes real track in sforzando.

to summarise..whats happening here ??...answer essentially we have used a modified playable real track driven by the piano roll triplets you wanted...per your image.
fyi playable tracks are a very nice feature now in bb....
ie essential!y now ...with a bit of work...the song creator now can control what the session muso is doing....see pg manual n vids for further info on playable real tracks etc etc.

maybe youll think my method is rubbish...dunno...buti found it the only
way rather than useing microhords feature....

....its catchy...da dada dadadadadadada...
very cool result imho....

hth...me a happy lad...i hate to be beaten by this stuff.
is it a workaround ??...some might think that...but only solution to the dilemma imho.

happiness.

om 🇨🇦🇨🇦 🇬🇧🇬🇧

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/16/24 10:49 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
bbman...

ie...da tada tadadadadadada...right ??
in swing jazz vibe...

to summarise..whats happening here ??...answer essentially we have used a modified playable real track driven by the piano roll triplets you wanted...per your image.
fyi playable tracks are a very nice feature now in bb....
ie essential!y now ...with a bit of work...the song creator now can control what the session muso is doing....see pg manual n vids for further info on playable real tracks rtc etc.

maybe youll think my method is rubbish...dunno...buti found it the only
way rather than useing microhords feature....

....its catchy...da dada dadadadadadada...
very cool result imho....

hth...me a happy lad...i hate to bebeaten by this stuff.
is it a workaround ??...some might think that...but only solution to the dilemma imho.

happiness.

om 🇨🇦🇨🇦 🇬🇧🇬🇧

"ie...da tada tadadadadadada...right ??"

Yes that's it. smile

Thanks for going the extra distance on this muso!
Rather than me trying to recreate everything you did, for the time being,
can you upload your solution (a file) somewhere where I can listen to it first?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
bbman..

ok...suggest a file upload site that doesnt want my personal info and
setting up accounts blah blah.

btw...big day today...england play footie with serbia in euros...
so if you dont hear from for a coupla hours.

when you get the file notice the bar 14 in piano roll...
and sforzando setting..

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/16/24 10:58 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
bbman..

ok...suggest a file upload site that doesnt want my personal info and
setting up accounts blah blah.

btw...big day today...england play footie with serbia in euros...
so if you dont hear from for a coupla hours.

when you get the file notice the bar 14 in piano roll...
and sforzando setting..

om

Not sure, I thought you were the computer guru here? smile
Maybe Google Drive?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
bbman..

ok found a site...dload link

https://files.fm/u/mhdsuvn6be

tell me if it works.....OR...

https://www.uploadlite.com/d/QwLuKoON3AZeLW

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/16/24 11:52 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
bbman..

ok found a site...dload link

https://files.fm/u/mhdsuvn6be

tell me if it works.....OR...

https://www.uploadlite.com/d/QwLuKoON3AZeLW

om

Thanks again for helping muso!

I got the file. smile
Nice sparse piano playing.

There's just a few problems though.
I'm looking for vibes.
I'm looking for long held notes with the vibes.
And most importantly with this challenge, I'm looking for that micro chord triplet (E9,F9) (E9,F9). smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
bbman...

england 1 serbia 0...so far...yay..

ive taken it as far as i can mate...

1.. was mainly focused on bar 14 with an example of triplets per your image.

2..if you want long held notes you can draw them in piano roll...
and remember to leave bar blank in chords window.

3..for vibes...just use a plugin with the midi piano roll driving vibes setting....be carefull in piano roll top left to set to the right track so you see the notes in the piano roll mate.

i think where the disconnect is that you want bb track generation to reflect your bar chord arrangement as you hear in your head...
eg long held notes...but the only way to get what you want and hear what is in your head...im afraid in this song you will need to get down n dirty with the piano roll and enter the notes you wanr...so you take back control from bb generation.

its very important that even tho you enter your chords a certain way in chord window it doesnt necessarily mean bb track generation will obey what you hear in your head mate.
its the same with my songs...eg in my sig..out of 100 songs ive done in bb/rb ...they all needed some editing ...and moveing notes and bars n riffs around till i got what i heard in my head.

heres a big tip for you...in rb is a nifty feature for midi tracks whereby...
an example...lets say you liked that bar 14 and you want same triplets arrange in say bar 39 in rb BARS VIEW...you just copy n paste 14 to 39.

all im saying mate is...sometimes you can get lucky with bb generating a track as per what you hear in your mind...just dont bank on it.
if you want notes to be perfect as you hear in your head re arrangement ya gotta get into the piano roll...THEN have the piano roll drive a playable real track...this gives you control rather than bb.

Bottom line...with this type of song i would get what i hear in my head useing piano roll and or a midi kbd...rather than relying bb to create tracks and making decisions.

keep jazzin...

om 🇨🇦🇨🇦 🇬🇧🇬🇧

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/16/24 01:04 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Veteran
Veteran
D
OM, you are being very king and helpful, as always, but... you are way off the mark with this one. (respectively said).

The OP wants to use the BIAB features for MicroChords. You know that feature that allows you to place chords in a bar at 1/16th note resolution. It was one of the new 50 new features from years back now. In the F6 menu it has a selection for "triplets". Triplets are not something the OP hears in his head, it is a well defined sound and understood form of notation and playback. But the Micro Chords is NOT playing the chords in this manner.

What you are giving us is a "workaround". Which may be fine. (BTW, I tried to DL you version using midi in the piano roll, but that site you use for storage tried to DL other software along with your file!! - Please git a google account and use the free Goggle Drive like everyone else.

So I can't listen to your file to see exactly how effective your workaround was.

I feel the OPs challenge should remain open until Simon gives it ago and either shows us how it is done or acknowledges it is not working .This thread is NOT resolved.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B

What you are giving us is a "workaround". Which may be fine. (BTW, I tried to DL you version using midi in the piano roll, but that site you use for storage tried to DL other software along with your file!! - Please git a google account and use the free Goggle Drive like everyone else.

So I can't listen to your file to see exactly how effective your workaround was.

I feel the OPs challenge should remain open until Simon gives it ago and either shows us how it is done or acknowledges it is not working .This thread is NOT resolved.

👍

Thanks again Dan. You are quite right with what you wrote to Muso above.

One small thing though.
I made several threads in a flurry a week or so ago.
There is actually another thread I made dedicated to this Micro Chord problem (which I do believe is a bug).

In this thread however I stated at the top:
"I can copy and paste any regular chord from one bar to another, but I can't copy/paste a micro chord bar!"

So this thread was about copying and pasting the micro chords that were typed in. Not about getting them to play properly.
We eventually figured out why the chords weren't being copied properly on my computer.

To copy a bar, I had always simply clicked on a bar with chords and hit Ctrl-C (copy) and then clicked on the bar I wanted
to copy to and then hit Ctrl-V (paste).

How was I to know that Micro Chords can not be copied using this method? smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
drdan and bbman...

when i tested both sites i just got the file...nothing else...so im amazed.
no warning from antivirus etc either.

anyhoo..ive given the old college try and will bow out now...n watch the soccer. i will be interested to see if anyone produces a better solution..
im prepared to get egg on my face...but i feel the solution lies in piano roll use.

anyhoo good news england won...lol.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/16/24 01:55 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
OK, so if the recording artist didn't record any audio passage on the micro-chord beats, there's no audio to play back. Period.
These are pre-recorded audio passages, from 1 to several bars long. It's been explained that this particular style consists of long held chords that resonate.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
OK, so if the recording artist didn't record any audio passage on the micro-chord beats, there's no audio to play back. Period.
These are pre-recorded audio passages, from 1 to several bars long. It's been explained that this particular style consists of long held chords that resonate.

Thanks AudioTrack, but we're still not on the same page with this. frown
I understood what you were trying to say about this the first time you were explaining about what the musician recorded at the session.

"OK, so if the recording artist didn't record any audio passage on the micro-chord beats, there's no audio to play back. Period."

You've reached an erroneous conclusion here.
First of all you are talking about "the recording artist". Which artist are you referring to?
Certainly not the band demo artist because they have nothing to do with this conversation at all.

So that leaves the recording artist who played the vibes in the style _Jazvibe.sty.
How do you know what he/she recorded? How do you know they DID NOT record any micro chords?
Micro chords are being played in my song. Just not the right ones and not in the right rhythm.

Do you understand what I am saying now?
They could have recorded 100 micro chords. We just don't know. Or micro chords might be using a special BIAB algorithm, where they take a full chord and chop it up on the fly. I don't know about that, do you?

In any event neither you nor I know what "the recording artist" for the style recorded.
And to say, just because I am not getting the micro chord to play, "Well that proves the artist never recorded those specific micro chords" is erroneous I think.

I need to add one more very important point. You might have missed the exchange I was having with Matt yesterday on this subject.
To both his and my surprise we actually discovered the micro chords being played perfectly in one of my test songs!!!
Neither he nor I know how they were entered but they are there for anyone to listen to!

What does this prove? It proves that "the recording artist" did in fact record these micro chords OR
BIAB is using a special algorithm to create these chords on the fly as I mentioned above.

BIABman #814161 06/16/24 06:26 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Veteran
Veteran
D
Both you guys are on the right track. grin

In general, what is happening with the MC features is the same thing which applies to many features in BIAB. I call it "Conditional Dependence". The feature operates or does not operate as you expect: depending upon conditions which we don't know and which we may or may not be able to control. Simple right?

One of the biggest CD are the styles themselves. How many times has the fix for a specific problem been - choose a different style? Another common CD are the tracks themselves, remember "not all tracks are the same".

It is just the nature of the beast. All you can do is try it and if it works great and if not, well put a note in the forum. crazy

DrDan #814163 06/16/24 07:10 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
One of the biggest CD are the styles themselves. How many times has the fix for a specific problem been - choose a different style? Another common CD are the tracks themselves, remember "not all tracks are the same".

It is just the nature of the beast. All you can do is try it and if it works great and if not, well put a note in the forum. crazy

👍

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
2258 views, 99 replies. No result.
What's actually missing here is some much needed input from PG Music.
PG Music created the RealTracks. They are the ones who definitively can resolve this conundrum.

With a thread title of 'Bug', I somehow have to believe that it has already well and truly come to PG Music's attention.

How about it, PG Music? Can you please come on board? Sort this out?

Last edited by AudioTrack; 06/17/24 02:36 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
BIABman, just in case PG Music are able to offer to assist, please can you restate a summation of your exact current concern(s)?

Let's hope that we can finalize this with real clarification from the company.

BIABman #814210 06/17/24 08:55 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I'm sorry, but I still think this whole thread may hinge more on communication that on BIAB functioning. For example, this little exchange makes my head hurt:

Yes, definitely, triplet 'swing eighths'.

No you don't understand what I am after.
As I explained to Matt, if there was a melody, as jazzers we would simply write a string of eighth notes and nothing more. All jazzers know they are to be played as 'swing eighths' (triplet feel).
The chords that you see on beats 1 and 2 are meant to be played in a triplet feel.
There are only two chords on each beat, not the three you wrote above.
So BIAB please play these two micro chords as triplet feel!

Just the term, "triplet swing eighths" is a problem for me to understand. There are triplets, and there are eighth notes played with swing feel (close to two-thirds, one third duration for two consecutive notes). [Side note: on my notation software, I can actually 'dial in' the amount of that percentage, from evenly timed eighth notes to exaggerated 1930s swing]

Then, we started from the premise that this is a bug in BIAB when it may be more of a query or perhaps an education issue. We are still far from defining a bug.

Could we start over, in the correct forum where it will be noticed better (BIAB for Windows Product Forum)? Post a snippet of music, and/or a music notation, give the genre and feel and tempo and instruments, and ask how to do it in BIAB.

EDIT: Ha. Not surprisingly, Trevor just asked the same thing.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 06/17/24 09:00 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Veteran
Veteran
D
I can only assume this was never resolved! Or do we just conclude MicroChords is a crap shoot.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BIABman Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I can only assume this was never resolved! Or do we just conclude MicroChords is a crap shoot.

Thanks for asking Dan.
You are right this has never been resolved.

My 'Micro chord challenge' is still open to all (even PG Music staff).
Get BIAB to play micro chords in swing eighths (triplet feel) on demand and I'll be a monkey's uncle!

BTW this is the location for the official thread on micro chords:
Micro chord thread

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,096
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 202