Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I've got my version of Gladys Knight's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" pretty much done, except for the iconic "C5 - - Eb5 - C5 G5 - F5 - Eb5" are playing as major chords rather than no 3rd. What can I do about this? These are Real Tracks playing.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Anyone?

Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Veteran
Veteran
With no information about the Style or which RealTracks are in use it's difficult to know.

Playable RealTracks might be a solution for you.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm using the _SOULFUL.STY style. I like the groove, the sound. The instruments that are playing chords are 1435:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinChords EV16, along with 1437:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovin EV16.

I hadn't thought of Playable Real Tracks. That might work. However, shouldn't these Real Tracks play E5 when an E5 chord is selected? I understand that many people find a power chord more appropriate for a Hard Rock tune, but as one can hear, it's being used in a classic soul tune. Why wouldn't they sample a chord with no 3rd for the E5 chord?

Now, as I try to edit in Playable Real Tracks, I realize that this piano part doesn't come with a transcription of the notes. What is the point of this being a Playable Real Track if I can't see the notes that are there to edit them?

Last edited by Funkifized; 06/26/24 06:03 PM.

Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Veteran
Veteran
When I disable Natural Arrangements in Song Settings, the electric piano played E5 for me.
I also tried the progression "C5 - - Eb5 - C5 G5 - F5 - Eb5" that you mentioned with the Song Settings adjusted, the electric piano played fine.
When I had Natural Arrangements set to either "Enabled" or "As set in arrangement options", major chords were generated.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I think Noel is onto something here. I wrote a short article on this that mentions Natural Arrangement as one of several things you can try: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=694482#Post694482

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm not near my computer right now. Is this "Natural Arrangement" setting per instrument, or a setting for the whole song?

Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Veteran
Veteran
Song.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
OK, I'm going to rant (please ignore) that a power chord is not a chord, it is an interval. It takes 3 notes to make a chord. (rant is over).

This is one reason why I prefer MIDI styles to real tracks, I can export the finished BiaB product and edit to my heart's content. In this instance, open it up in the piano roll editor and erase the thirds in the major triad, turning them into a root/fifth interval (power chord).

BiaB is wonderful, bordering on pure genius. I've written styles for other auto accompaniment apps, and BiaB is by far the absolute best.

But as great as BiaB's output is, IMO it's not ready for prime time. It's like a very good band, but not an excellent band. In MIDI, granted you suffer a little tone, but you gain a huge opportunity for extensive editing. You can take that very good output and make something truly exceptional with it. Besides for fixing power chords, I can move drum rolls around, put real intros/endings on the song, insert song specific licks, do more than just shots/holds, change the instrument say from a piano to a clav or a jazz guitar to a telecaster, altering or changing the volumes of individual notes, change the chord inversion to help the singer, and so much more. This can make the music much more expressive.

Tone is subjective, and expression rules. After all, there are plenty of pop singers with less than stellar voices that are very popular, because they express themselves well. And who can say that the strat guitar sounds better than the 335 or the LP, or the tele or the danelectro?

But with a real track, which I occasionally use, I know of no way to get rid of any notes in a chord.

It's not the fault of BiaB, it's the difference between MIDI and recorded audio, and the technology of the day.

Insights, incites (and minor rants) by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I agree with you about power chords, but they are being used in place of "real" chords, and the Gladys Knight version of Grapevine is a great example. The iconic riff of the tune is always played with open 5ths, regardless of which version of the tune, but as the open 5ths move up a minor 3rd, the assumption is that this is a minor key, which it is not. Adding major 3rds to these "chords" gives a different flavor to the music.

Playable Tracks allows for the mixture of MIDI notes with the Real Tracks, so the added major 3rds can be edited out, but then some Real Tracks don't have transcriptions of the notes, so one can't edit the "playable" track.

Frustrating.

Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Notes Norton

But with a real track, which I occasionally use, I know of no way to get rid of any notes in a chord.

.................................by Notes ♫

Notes, I completely agree with you with the exception of the above line. You can get rid of RT notes BUT it takes a program like the polyphonic version of Melodyne to do it.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I tried Melodyne a long time ago, and it was hit or miss. Some tracks rendered faithfully, and others had either too many or too few notes rendered. Perhaps it's been improved through the years.

BTW, although the Marvin Gaye version became more popular, I agree with Berry Gordy on this one and favor the Gladys Knight version.

When we learned it, we were closer to the Gladys version, but it didn't go over that well, so we changed to Marvin's arrangement (both with our touches added)

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,098
Members38,856
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199