Go To
#815802 07/01/24 05:52 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
This is a song in E major. Notice how 6b in the red circle sounds. I never understood. Why would a 6b suddenly appear

The first time I saw C-G#m (6b-3m)

How does the connection work?

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

00:49

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
swingbabymix #815806 07/01/24 06:52 AM
Veteran
Veteran
In E major, the 6th note of the scale is C#. This means that chord 6 is C# major. If you want to play an ordinary C major chord in that key, you need to play the major chord on the flattened 6th note of the scale (i.e. C and not C#). It's equivalent to trying to reference an Ab major chord in the key of C major.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
swingbabymix #815807 07/01/24 07:02 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Firstly, a beautiful song.

The key is in E Major. The 6th note of E major is therefore C#, yes?
The composer wants to play a C natural chord instead, so the sixth note has to be flattened to become C. The chord structure simply shows that the 6th (normally C#) is flattened to become C. The 6th(C#) is flattened(C). Pretty straightforward, yes?

Can you follow?

Do you understand the Major diatonic scales (five whole steps and two half steps, arranged in a strictly defined way)? If not, this would be very helpful for you to study.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
AudioTrack #815808 07/01/24 07:05 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Update, thanks Noel, I was also trying to find a way to explain this in the meantime. I'm not sure if I complicated this. But SBM will hopefully take something valuable from both of our replies.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
AudioTrack #815813 07/01/24 07:45 AM
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
Update, thanks Noel, I was also trying to find a way to explain this in the meantime. I'm not sure if I complicated this. But SBM will hopefully take something valuable from both of our replies.

Yes. I understand that C is a 6b in E major

What I don't understand is why you can access a 6b here, and 6b can also connect to 3m

Let's say it in C major.

exactly

F-G-Em-Am-Dm-G-C
Ab-Em-Am-Dm-G-C

I don't understand why this Ab can be put here.

swingbabymix #815816 07/01/24 08:22 AM
Veteran
Veteran
C chord = C-E-G
G#m chord = G#-B-D#

Notes C to B = 1/2 step
Notes G to G# = 1/2 step
Notes E to D# = 1/2 step

1/2 step chord transitions are very common. For instance in blues if one wants to go to a 9th chord, for example an E9, many times one will quickly move from F9 to E9.

Understand?

Last edited by MarioD; 07/01/24 08:23 AM.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
swingbabymix #815822 07/01/24 08:53 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Let's say it in C major. exactly

F-G-Em-Am-Dm-G-C
Ab-Em-Am-Dm-G-C

I don't understand why this Ab can be put here.
Actually, I don't understand a single thing mentioned above. Sorry.

Are you suggesting that a song in C Major is totally restricted to the use of only certain other chords? It could not include an Ab chord? Surely not? Why would that be?

Could a song in C Major include a C minor chord? Would that be prohibited? If so, why?
Could a song in C Major use an Ab chord? Would that be prohibited? If so, why?

I'm not sure, but maybe you still believe there are chord-based rules based on a key signature that cannot ever be overwritten. As I mentioned before, go and look at some of Burt Bacharch's compositions.

Although, sorry, I recall you mentioned previously that you didn't have time to study music theory. I studied Australian Conservatorium of Music and London College of Music to know this. But if you're too busy to learn any theory at all, well good luck. You'll be able to work it out eventually grin

MarioD #815887 07/01/24 09:52 PM
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Originally Posted by MarioD
Understand?

Thanks for your reply. So why is there a 6b (C)

I see a lot of songs in the first verse, and if it's F-G-... So the second paragraph also starts with an F-G

But this example song is 6b(C)

Since it's a new beginning, we can start with 6b, right?

swingbabymix #815888 07/01/24 10:23 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Mostly people talk about the flattened VI chord as being borrowed from the parallel minor.

Consider the two scales below.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

In both scales, the tonal centre is "E". Moreover, chords progressions based on the notes of each scale can harmonically gravitate to this tonal centre of E. In the natural minor scale, notes III, VI and VII are a semitone flatter than notes III, VI and VII when compared to the major scale. Chords built on notes III, VI or VII (whichever scale is used) can still be used as part of the harmonic progression that resolves to the tonal centre "E". It is for this reason, that most theorists talk about chords based on the flattened III, flattened VI and flattened VII are being chords borrowed from the parallel minor.

As I see it, the C - G#m progressions is a VI - III progression (that is, the diatonic chord built on note VI going to the diatonic chord built on note III). Provided there are no clashes with melodic notes, the progression most likely works whether the VI chord is from the major key (C#m) or the minor key (C). The VI chord from the minor scale, though, would have more sonic 'colour' associated with it.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
swingbabymix #815925 07/02/24 06:21 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by swingbabymix
Understand?

Thanks for your reply. So why is there a 6b (C)

I see a lot of songs in the first verse, and if it's F-G-... So the second paragraph also starts with an F-G

But this example song is 6b(C)

Since it's a new beginning, we can start with 6b, right?

The only real answer is because that is what the composer wanted. That is true of all music. Noel gives a good music theory answer. But one must remember that music theory has rules and said rules are there to be broken.

There are thousands of chord progressions out there. Some follow music theory to a tee (for example the circle of 5ths) while others do not. Basically any chord can come after any chord but to understand why it works does take some theory.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #815969 07/02/24 12:34 PM
Veteran
Veteran
But one must remember that music theory has rules and said rules are there to be broken.
It isn't mandatory, of course. laugh

There was a little bit of one of Rick Beato's "what makes this song great?" series about Seal's "A kiss from a Rose", where he telephones Seal and asks him about a particular, unusual, chord progression.
I loved Seal's answer: "Nobody had told me I couldn't do that".

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
MarioD #816035 07/03/24 05:40 AM
Veteran
Veteran
<...snip...>

The only real answer is because that is what the composer wanted. <...>

Great answer.

It is important to know music theory, but it's also sometimes an advantage to 'break the rules'. I believe this is the difference between current AI and human composers.

How does it sound when I do this?

If we didn't do that, we would be stuck with JS Bach harmonies. Why would you play a minor third or flatted fifth in a major 12 bar blues progression? Because it makes the proper amount of tension that can be relieved.

After all, tension and relief is the source of some of the greatest human pleasures. You are hungry — tension. You sit down and enjoy a great meal — relief. You climb to the top of Mt. Everest — tension. You get to the top — relief. Even the act of procreation involves building tensions until the climax, which is the release. So a great piece of music should provide tension and release. This can be done many ways, dissonance is one of them.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Gordon Scott #816038 07/03/24 06:36 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I loved Seal's answer: "Nobody had told me I couldn't do that".
Yes, this, exactly.

swingbabymix #816043 07/03/24 07:08 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Musicians come in all forms. Creativity comes in all forms. I recall a story (I have no way of knowing if it's true but I believe it could be) that the wonderful guitarist/bassist/vocalist Jon Lucien was invited to Berklee and discovered there was an entire class devoted to how his songs are constructed. He was flabbergasted. His lecture essentially was, I have no idea how I'm doing that or what it is; it just sounded good. While it's wonderful to know music theory, I also recognize there is room for those who do not. Besides, those folks hire me to write the sheet music that they can copyright smirk

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #816058 07/03/24 09:52 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
There is room for those who do not, but there is also a lot of trial and error for those who refuse to learn. Often tunes are written that don't make a ton of sense harmonically, and the arrangement hides the problems. I've heard enough versions of "Dock Of The Bay" in which Otis wrote the tune on a guitar tuned to a chord, therefore all major chords. Cover bands get the changes wrong because they think that there are relative minor chords in there. There are not. "Chain Of Fools" comes to mind, too. Major, not minor. The magic in Aretha's version is that something sounds different than all the cover band versions, because they think it's in minor.

The other side of this is Al Green's tunes, which are clearly music theory uninformed, and the arrangement hides the weird harmonic issues. If the cover bands did what are actually the changes in Al's version of the tune, they would sound weird.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1111)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
swingbabymix #816102 07/04/24 05:45 AM
Veteran
Veteran
There are folks who know music theory and IMO are lousy musicians.

There are some who don't know theory but are great musicians.

And there are great musicians who also know music theory. These are the folks that can write symphonies.

Being a musician and a writer is not one thing, but a collection of different skills plus your inborn talent (or capability). I think that the more of these skills that you can learn and hone will make you a better musician, up to the limitation of your inborn capability.

I also think when it comes to songwriting, what humans have that AI doesn't have (yet) is when breaking the rules and listening to what occurred, the human can decided whether it sounds good or terrible.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Notes Norton #816111 07/04/24 07:08 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Notes Norton
I also think when it comes to songwriting, what humans have that AI doesn't have (yet) is when breaking the rules and listening to what occurred, the human can decided whether it sounds good or terrible.
Interesting comment.
For my own education can you give an example of this involving a successful popular song and include the rule(s) that was/were broken?

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Notes Norton #816127 07/04/24 09:54 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Notes Norton
.I also think when it comes to songwriting, what humans have that AI doesn't have (yet) is when breaking the rules and listening to what occurred, the human can decide whether it sounds good or terrible.
I can get behind that definition. Duke Ellington would have liked it as well.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,098
Members38,856
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199