Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Whenever I'm using a MIDI style I can't seem to get the levels to stay where I put them.
I set the levels and then, when I hit the play button, the faders don't move but the levels jump around.
Doesn't matter whether I load an .SGU file, or create a song from scratch or which synth I use as default.
I've used VSTSynthfont64, Roland Sound Canvas VA, TTS-1.

I know that other people have been using this with no issues, so it must be me.
It's not unique to 2024 version, since it's been driving me bonkers for years.

P.S. - I've returned to factory settings, many times.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Veteran
Veteran
Could you please elaborate on two things you said: ‘faders don’t move’ and ‘levels jump around’.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Many midi files downloaded from the internet have the initial volume level for each track embedded in the file.

Most times volume (CC7) or expression (CC11) data can be seen and edited using the Event List Editor available in the Window > Notation > Event List Editor. However, the initial values can also be embedded in the file header which is not accessible for editing.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1113) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Jim Fogle
Many midi files downloaded from the internet have the initial volume level for each track embedded in the file.

Most times volume (CC7) or expression (CC11) data can be seen and edited using the Event List Editor available in the Window > Notation > Event List Editor. However, the initial values can also be embedded in the file header which is not accessible for editing.

Jim, I am award of that, but it happens on fresh blank compositions with just chords entered. No events, except notes, in event viewer. And, on imported tracks, I strip all of the volume events Ctrl 7. Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Thunderthud

Jim, I am award of that, but it happens on fresh blank compositions with just chords entered. No events, except notes, in event viewer. And, on imported tracks, I strip all of the volume events Ctrl 7. Thanks.

On imported tracks the volume is not exclusive to CC2, CC7, or CC11. I have some VSTis where I can assign any CC to volume or expression (CC7 and CC11).

The only time I had some issues like you are having was when I had a defective MIDI keyboard controller that was sending out CC data, i.e. mod wheel sending CC11 in my case. If you have a MIDI controller attached you might try detaching it and see if the problem continues.

If you could send a frozen SGU via the free Dropbox we could look at the file and hopefully see what is happening.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I appreciate the feedback Thunderthud. I reread your initial post and noticed I read it incorrectly. As you can tell by my first post I thought you meant the initial mixer volume levels are wrong when loading a midi file. I now understand you mean after starting a blank composition. No answer for that one.

Matt Findley asked :
Could you please elaborate on two things you said: ‘faders don’t move’ and ‘levels jump around’.
Answering Matt may clarify what is the best response.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1113) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
O
O
Good question I have the same problem as you have thunderthud

Veteran
Veteran
It might be helpful to know if you have BIAB 2024 as well, and for both of you, what Build #.

In the original post, I do not understand what faders are being talked about, and would benefit from a fuller description of ‘levels jumping around’.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
It's not about faders... Except after you've moved them to obtain the desired mix...
And then hit PLAY or double click to start playing again...
The levels jump to different levels. Usually up. It doesn't stay put.

Have BIAB 2024 BUILD 1111. BUT this happened on previous versions as well.

D
Veteran
Veteran
D
I was able to correctly adjust and save all volume settings for the midi tracks which I believe is what the OP was indicating was not working.

Final Tour - Not with a Bang but with a wimper! Ended.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I'm presuming from the video, Dan, that you could not reproduce the O/P's issue?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
D
Veteran
Veteran
D
You assume correctly.

Veteran
Veteran
Thunderthud,

In "Preferences | Midi Options" there are a couple of volume settings. From what I can tell, these might produce the kind of results you are experiencing if they are not activated.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Also, can you give us an example style with which you have this issue.

--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
D
Veteran
Veteran
D
What Noel shows in the Preferences-Midi Options are the DEFAULT settings which should be set when you do a Return to Factory Settings. These are exactly what I have set during my video.

T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Ok. I have done a complete factory reset. Loaded a SGU file from the BIAB user's group, using the Sinatra MIDI style, with no events other than notes and sustains in the event list. Loaded the VSTSynthfont 64 synthesizer as default. Hit play and adjusted my mix. Hit play again and the levels jumped up. Tried adjusting individual tracks, and as I moved them just slightly, the level on that track jumped down. This kind of thing has been typical when using the default synthesizer. If I put a separate synth on individual tracks, they stay put. Sorry, I haven't gotten back to this sooner, been pretty tied up last few days.

D
Veteran
Veteran
D
Up load the SGU file.

Veteran
Veteran
Thunderthud,

I just tried Sinatra.sty using the latest version of VSTSythFont64 (ver. 3.501) and PG Music's demos song, and all went well.

Out of curiosity, how did you set this synth as your default? I went to "Prefs | MIDI Driver" to set it as default (see graphic below). I also used MME as my audio driver.

--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Noel96
Thunderthud,

I just tried Sinatra.sty using the latest version of VSTSythFont64 (ver. 3.501) and PG Music's demos song, and all went well.

Out of curiosity, how did you set this synth as your default? I went to "Prefs | MIDI Driver" to set it as default (see graphic below). I also used MME as my audio driver.

--Noel
Set up as yours, except WAS instead of MME

T
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
T
Originally Posted by DrDan
Up load the SGU file.

Link to SGU...

Song Link

Last edited by Thunderthud; 07/10/24 08:54 AM.
D
Veteran
Veteran
D
I played the song and all volume sliders worked as expected.

I only have two comments:
1) You are not the first to report something misbehaving in BIAB where no one else can reproduce the strange behavior. This has happened with me in the past.
2) WAS has been a serious problem for me in the past with BIAB. My system just goes bonkers when this is used. Please try the MME driver.

Good luck

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,096
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 202