Page 2 of 2 1 2
Rob Helms #817187 07/17/24 06:19 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Here's another video tutorial how to use the ACW. Although Mr. Henry's tutorial is more than 35 minutes and specific to extrapolate the chords from an audio file of a popular song, the first 16 minutes clearly demonstrate how to the get -L-'s exactly right on the WAV form.

This video was posted 3 years ago and has more than 37,000 views with 178 positive comments. Read the video's comments please. I didn't see a single request to re-code the ACW, eliminate the integration of the tempo map to the Chord Sheet or to refine the ACW. It earned a B- grade from Mr. Henry.

How I use Audio Chord Wizard

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Rob Helms #817283 07/18/24 05:30 AM
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Charlie, thanks i will watch it and see what i get. I am not suggesting a full recode, but there is some shaky results from time ti time. 37,000 watches and 178 positive comments is less than a half percent. I have been using the ACW for many years i have gotten a few positive results but more often than not it is frustrating. I have used it in BiaB and RB. There are others here who have experienced the same thing. i have used tempo mapping in at least three different DAWs as well. You and anyone else can post all the positive from others you can find. I am willing to learn more. What i am telling PGM is that it has some peculiar behavior at times. I am not the only one who has noticed that moving Bar lines in ACW works but often it battles you as it constantly causes other lines to move off their position. I did a project in Mixbuss and used their tempo mapping. It was simple and didn't have as many cool tools as BiaB but it did work and seemed to be learning as it went. In the end the results were pretty good. I am trying to get PGM to take a look at improving the tool one more time. I can't understand why there is so much resistance to improvement.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2024, Realband, Reaper, Harrison Mixbus 32c , Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Rob Helms #817285 07/18/24 06:17 AM
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Charlie i went and listened to Henry's video and I get what he was trying to do, but in reality, his bar lines were dreadfully off in the video. I know he was trying to get a basic overview but to say the tempo was right on and explain that the intro was different than the rest of the song when the difference was that he never synced the bars to the proper tempo. The last time he played the song before moving on to the chord analysis he kept saying Boom for each bar and in the video, you could plainly see that the lines were nowhere near the downbeat of the track. I would imagine that if he did try to line it up the video would have taken hours! Why because the lining up process would fight you till you were exhausted.

What happens is that when you start lining them up after doing the auto marking it seems to be going well but as you progress down the song it begins to get harder and one move messes up another. soon you have a varied tempo. So, you use the equalize tempo button and now they are all off again or at least some of them, so you fight with it and fight with it and at some point, after about two or three hours you throw your hands up and quit!

Bottom line is it works sort of, but it could use a bit of attention. The ACW is an incredible tool, but like a lot of tools in BiaB it is not fully polished.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 07/18/24 06:19 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2024, Realband, Reaper, Harrison Mixbus 32c , Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Rob Helms #817356 07/19/24 05:24 AM
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Good morning Rob. I hate the tutorial wasn't much of a benefit to you. I didn't get your point about the views and positive comments percentage value. The intent of mentioning those numbers was with as much positive feedback that others got from the video, there might be some value in the video for you. I agree the ACW is an incredible and valuable tool and wish you the best getting your struggles worked out.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Rob Helms #817363 07/19/24 08:49 AM
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Barlow thanks for the video it did help to a degree. I learned two things. 1. You can get the job done, and 2. It still needs some refinement. From many other’s comments it is clear this is not just my struggle. The tools are there but they can be very frustrating.

In Henry’s video it is so crystal clear that his bar line after about the first half dozen are no where near the down beat. He keeps saying “boom” for every bar but they are not a boom they are way off. Yes he can walk thru the hours of time and effort needed to make them all line up. But he admits that is too much for a short video. I have texted this tool quite extensively for three days now after having used it in the past and yes I got fairly decent results after three painful hours. It shouldn’t be that hard! As you line stuff up things you already did go out of alignment. Back and forth until you almost give up and decide that it is as good as it will get.

Here is what I found out after a lot of hard work. If you want to use it to map a popular song the you can get it fairly close but at some point you are going to dump the wave file and run with the created .sgu to get a song bed for that song so yes that is possible. If you want to add a wave file to so g your i for a wrestle of a life time. I also watched the video PGM put out of the Shenandoah song they got reasonable results but it is in reality harder than that video makes it out to be. I watched a video of doing the same thing In Harrison Mixbus they have a simple process with very targeted tools. Simple but effective.

The reference to the positive reviews was to point out that 178 positive reviews from 37,000 views is a very small sample set of people’s opinions.

Again thanks for your time.

Rob Helms #817444 07/20/24 09:53 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Rob Helms
In Henry’s video it is so crystal clear that his bar line after about the first half dozen are no where near the down beat. He keeps saying “boom” for every bar but they are not a boom they are way off.
You're most probably correct, but it's worth remembering with videos like these that the process of making the video can cause some apparent skewing and other effects.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
Originally Posted by Rob Helms
In Henry’s video it is so crystal clear that his bar line after about the first half dozen are no where near the down beat. He keeps saying “boom” for every bar but they are not a boom they are way off.
You're most probably correct, but it's worth remembering with videos like these that the process of making the video can cause some apparent skewing and other effects.

I dont think that's the problem in this case, I think Rob is speaking about this
[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Audio and video are synced, but bars on the ACW are clearly not correctly positioned on the down beat.

I've found similar results using the ACW in some cases. An example here:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=817371#Post817371

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Cerio #817471 07/20/24 02:28 PM
T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
Audio Edit/ACW is a very good tool however there are some quirks.

OP:s comment on things moving around among already edited bars is likely to be a lack of understanding of the relation between User and Auto generated bar lines.

Working with alignment of non consistent tempo is a fairly quick operation.
Start out like Henry C does with some bar lines and have it autogenerate the remainder of the song.
What Henry doesn't do is to adjust when it gradually goes out of sync. So it just question of checking e.g. every 8 bars and move to the appropriate position and the bar lines to left will adjust accordingly. Continue and the song should be ok in a couple of minutes if it's a fairly consistent recording. Will take a bit more time if it's very sloppy time wise.

On the latest Win version
thomasc #817475 07/20/24 03:55 PM
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted by thomasc
OP:s comment on things moving around among already edited bars is likely to be a lack of understanding of the relation between User and Auto generated bar lines.

I'm pretty sure everybody here knows the difference between user and automatically added bars in ACW, that's definitely not the problem.

The problem is that in some cases, user / auto generated bars gets completely out of sync, please, see the video here as an example:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=817371#Post817371

Another example:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=21978&filename=ACW%20Out%20of%20Sync.gif

Other users have reported similar issues before. Additionally, other users have reported issues when importing audio that I suspect might be related:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=815796#Post815796

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Rob Helms #817556 07/21/24 08:20 PM
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I did it just like Henry did I always add the first 6 bars or so then ad auto marking. Then begin to try to align the rest of the bars.

Look I admit that the ACW has some good results. However it still can be rather shaky. I’m not new to this process I have used ACW since inception. Beta tested it through the last few upgrades. It is both better and not better. Even the chord detection depends upon the value of the wave file. The more complicated the less effective it is. I tried a live Wave file this morning from a friend and it struggled to detect the chords. The problem was the bad quality of the wave.

The bar detection works and gets you close but it does not just line up like some say. As cerio’s link and Henry’s video clearly shows. Henry admitted that it can be hours of work.

Henry was showing how to create a BiaB file for a popular song. The best method for this is line up a few bars, auto mark it get it close as possible and then move on to the chords detection and then dump the wave file and work with what you have. For that it is fine.

Next I go to a good simple internet chord file for the song and fix the over complicated chords that were detected. Oh but Rob, it does a great job detecting chords you say. Yes but it sometimes adds to those chords from the tangle of instruments in the song.

End results are still super useful.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 07/21/24 08:26 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,097
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200