Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In another forum here..... a discussion on the ACW.

Just to be clear import or open the functionality is poor. Bar number issue aside it is sketchy as how one aligns the bars.

Indeed... I was just wrestling with getting it to work for a recent song. I had issues with the tempo of the import being changed drastically. The ACW should be re-coded so that it will import the audio and not change the tempo. It should also have a much easier way to set the first bar and beat of the song. The current window is absolutely confusing.

I've tried to use it simply by dragging the audio in, and hoping it lines up....and then just going measure by measure typing in the chords manually as that was actually easier, faster, and more accurate than trying to get the ACW to do it's job like one would expect it to do.

This function is very nice when it works. I've used it a few times in the past and it worked well. I think I've heard that there's a new version that replaced the first one and the new one is the one with issues.

I literally followed the instructions in the manual and it didn't work. I eventually got the advice of another user to use a work around to get it to work which it did. It needs to be simplified and functional.

Thanks

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I'm certainly not a power user of the ACW. I appreciate all it sets out to do, and the underlying challenges that the program faces to achieve that. There are inherent programming demands to make such a feature work successfully.

However, there are many continuing issues that might/could benefit from looking at how the system could be improved. Suggested workarounds might ultimately achieve a similar result, but how good would it be if workarounds weren't necessary, and the ACW handled many of these items internally?

It's an excellent feature, but could the existing functionality be improved further?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
This is a prime example of why I simply avoid ALL advanced features in this software. They often either don't work properly, are poorly documented or are buried so deep they're hard to find and use. I love the tracks I can get from BIAB but I do NOT enjoy using this software. So I stick to the most basic things and get out ASAP.

+1 to the wishlist request though!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by JohnJohnJohn
This is a prime example of why I simply avoid ALL advanced features in this software. They often either don't work properly, are poorly documented or are buried so deep they're hard to find and use. I love the tracks I can get from BIAB but I do NOT enjoy using this software. So I stick to the most basic things and get out ASAP.

I totally agree and have the same workflow as John3.

+1 for the request also.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
I'm certainly not a power user of the ACW. I appreciate all it sets out to do, and the underlying challenges that the program faces to achieve that. There are inherent programming demands to make such a feature work successfully.

Hi Trev.

If you are interested in developing your "power user" skills for ACW, I encourage you to have a look at PG Music's 2020 New-Features video (from timestamp 25:06).

PG Music have included a tutorial file in "bb\documentation\Tutorials\Tutorial - BB2018". If you follow the above 2020 video tutorial and work through Shenandoah step by step with the video, I can guarantee that in around 10 mins you will be well on your way to reaching "power user" ability. I just worked my way through the tutorial to double-check that everything is fine with pre-release testing of build 1112.

--Noel

P.S. When working with ACW, I always disable the style (right-click in the Style window and uncheck "Style enabled"). I also prefer to use the multi-window display that shows the chordsheet and the audio file.)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted by JohnJohnJohn

I absolutely agree.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
P.S. When working with ACW, I always disable the style (right-click in the Style window and uncheck "Style enabled"). I also prefer to use the multi-window display that shows the chordsheet and the audio file.)

They a very worthwhile tips Noel, thanks!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C

The problem here, to begin with, is that, for some reason, disabling a style doesn't always work:
1. Open BIAB, any style
2. Press F4 (regenerate) > BIAB plays.
3. Right button on "Style" > uncheck "Style is unabled"
4. Press F4 (regenerate) > BIAB keeps playing.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Cerio

The problem here, to begin with, is that, for some reason, disabling a style doesn't always work:
1. Open BIAB, any style
2. Press F4 (regenerate) > BIAB plays.
3. Right button on "Style" > uncheck "Style is unabled"
4. Press F4 (regenerate) > BIAB keeps playing.

Thanks, Cerio. I wasn't aware of this. Disabling the style was definitely working for me last night but it is not working for me now. Soloing the track onto which the audio file is loaded still works fine, though. I'll report this to PG Music developers and link my post to your comments. The ability to disable a backing is definitely useful for ACW and if a multichannel MIDI file is loaded on the Melody or Soloist tracks.

--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I did a deep dive into ACW this morning and spent about 3 hours testing and retesting it. Carefully. I used the video Noel suggested as the basis of the test. I was able to get it to work fairly well. It still fights you as you move bars other bars go out of alignment. Back and forth you go and eventually you kind of give up and say that’s close enough. In the end it gets you there to a reasonable degree but could use some love.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2024, Realband, Reaper, Harrison Mixbus 32c , Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted by Rob Helms
It still fights you as you move bars other bars go out of alignment.

Yes, this was exactly one of the main problems of the ACW when I tried it years ago. After setting the first bars and calculate the rest, it may work ok for a while, but eventually, the audio, bars & screen will go out of sync and all kind of crazy behaviour will happen.

It's not just an isolated or an easy to reproduce problem, the whole thing is, in my experience, just too unstable and unreliable to be used in a real project. It could be a great addtion, but, honestly, it looks like the feature is still in a very early alfa stage of development. Definitely, it deserves more love.

Last edited by Cerio; 07/17/24 12:04 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< " It still fights you as you move bars other bars go out of alignment. Back and forth you go and eventually you kind of give up and say that’s close enough. In the end it gets you there to a reasonable degree but could use some love." >>

I'm sorry Rob but using the PG Music tutorial video and the audio demo Noel suggested as the basis for your test, your inaccurate results doesn't indicate any fault or deficiency of the ACW program or process. The ACW program and process work flawlessly in the demo. The ACW program and tutorial with the demo audio worked for Noel in the past and again when he retested the tutorial and audio file a few days ago before posting the link. The ACW isn't fighting you.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
You are entitled to your opinion Charlie but it is not like I have no experience with the ACW I have used it for several years now. I have been using BiaB and RB since 2003. I know how it works. Just because it works well in a demo doesn’t mean it works for all situations. The demo song was picked and used in a specific project and situation. I and many others have experienced similar issues with it. Sometimes it is better and sometimes it seems to fight against what you’re doing. It may have to do with the complexity of the audio file being used.

Look I appreciate your input and your help but this is the suggestion forum not the BiaB main forum I really wasn’t asking for help , I was asking for a wish of a little refinement to a tool. This is the means all development and progress happens. If it meets your needs great I am getting different results. Lastly it is not a one time issue I have now worked with about a dozen different wave files and mp3s I get mixed results. I’ve known Herb Hartly since around 2001 he has extensive experience with this stuff and he also sees the issue so let us do our job and report things we feel could use some improvement.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2024, Realband, Reaper, Harrison Mixbus 32c , Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
I (and others) have reported several problems in the past about ACW, this is just an example from a few months ago:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=790630&page=1

Here's the video I uploaded in that thread, where the odd behaviour of the ACW can be clearly seen:
[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

After this new thread (threads about problems with ACW seem to be cyclical here) , I tried again following the steps on the video Noel posted, got similar results, and wrote my previous post.

However, I've tried again using the "Open" command instead of draggin & droppin the audio (import, which is the method used in the video) to BIAB, and the whole thing worked well. It looks like some of the bugs have been fixed in the last months, or that (part) of the problem was using "import" instead of "open" command, but the problem might also be related to the specific audio file being used, I'm not sure. More testing is definitely needed.

Having said that, the fact that so many experienced users find this feature troublesome is a clear indicator, at the very least, that this feature is hard to use and that there is a lot of room for improvement here.

Last edited by Cerio; 07/19/24 03:24 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Cerio thanks, yes I need to keep testing different angles. The video from PGM pearly shows drag and drop so if that method is not working then it needs fixing. Using ops may be better but I will bet since video used the term “open” then drag and dropped the file in they are one and the same.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Rob, I apologize for misunderstanding your comment and offering help. I have not stated any opposition to refining and upgrading the ACW. It's been upgraded and refined several several times since 2018. It's been refined since the ACW discussion seven months ago. There was nothing in my reply to you opposing refining the ACW and there was nothing in your comment about fixing or refining the ACW.

When you said, "I did a deep dive into ACW this morning and spent about 3 hours testing and retesting it. Carefully. I used the video Noel suggested as the basis of the test." I interpreted your deep dive into the ACW and 3 hours of testing and retesting using the PG Music tutorial Noel posted to mean what you said. My previous reply to you was made specifically believing you struggled for 3 hours on that tutorial and not that you were working on a complex song.

I won't be offering any more advice.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Charlie I always fine with advice. But in the wish lists it just seems to serve to bury the request under a pile of post. I’ll always listen to your suggestions. No offense taken.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I haven't really used the ACW, just tried it a few times. I have used other chord detection software such as Riffstation and Song Master pro though.

A chord detection software in my opinion shouldn't need any fooling about with it such as adding bar lines and should just be able to do its job.

Maybe in future PGmusic could find some other software that is better than ACW and add it to biab instead.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The chord detection is pretty darn good it it the tempo the battles me

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have mostly avoided using ACW due to the above mentioned issues.

However, I have recently had need of it's unique abilities. Some attempts to use it have been marginally successful while others .... Most, in fact were abandoned out of the frustration of trying to get it to do right.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,096
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 203