Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by justanoldmuso

it makes me wanna cry when i hear the talent on pg showcase
that doesnt get exposure and end up on the charts.

om. 🇨🇦🇨🇦. 🇬🇧🇬🇧

SO TRUE!

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
[quote=justanoldmuso
it makes me wanna cry when i hear the talent on pg showcase
that doesnt get exposure and end up on the charts.
quote]
This is why I've lobbied for the creation of an annual PGMusic Grammys List (or some such name).
It's a crying shame that the very best and most distinctive works that are shared on the Showcase will have an average life of perhaps a week or two on the forum, to then be ignored, forgotten and lost in the ever-growing mountain of uploaded songs.

I often think about those that don't know what BiaB can actually do and how they would be wowed and inspired by the best of the Showcase. What a marketing bonanza this could be for PGM!

The ancient Egyptians (as well as many other civilizations) understood the principal of knowledge capture . . . think the Library of Alexandria as an example. I believe Eratosthenes (who was a music theorist) would agree smile

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=105077&Number=804189#Post804182

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by David Snyder
"Conversely, I sincerely hope that it doesn't turn song production into bland, grey mush."

Ugh, well, we are certainly in no danger of that. Because production HAS been bland grey mush for quite a while.

Now, it is just a question of how much more bland, grey and mushy it can can.
>95% of it I agree, though there is still some good music out there.

With hindsight, I should perhaps also have had the word amorphous somewhere in my sentence.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
BT...

great idea re pg grammys....there is sooo much talent here.

yep the music biz is in a sad state viz the difficulty for new talent to break through.
the only comfort is knowing. from what ive sussed out talking to people working deep in the music biz is there are downsides if one is successfull. eg who wants a security team following you everywhere.????....not me.

i have no delusions of grandeur or desire to be such...but ive been thinking of a little experiment in marketing because obviously music consumers dont go often to the sites where we might upload our songs.

so i might for s's n giggles see what happens with direct contact with say radio stations like the old days.useing a pseudonym obviously as i like a happy peacefull quiete life with my dear wife.
i dont want a crrrrazy life in showbiz.....no desire.

then i might document in off topic whether i get turfed out on my A or told my songs suck...lol
i might do it with say 5 songs in different genres.
could be a fun little project....to see if its possible to get put on rotation on a radio station somewhere.

all ive gleaned in life is if ya wanna be big...ya gotta do a ton of marketing.
i once taught marketing in a previous life. and taught the concept of ...

ACE...
accessible...cheap...exciting.

whatever the product for people to buy it its gotta be ACE.
which seperates the successfull products saleswise from the failures.

happiness.

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I gotta disagree with y'all (surprise!) IMHO there's a lot of great new music out there right now. Every year during the real Grammys I pick up some new artists from the Americana nominees as well as alternative stuff. I enjoy a lot of Taylor's music. I love Sia. Radiohead still releases great stuff. And if you yearn for great music from bygone eras check out the latest from the Rolling Stones! I swear I enjoyed pretty much every track. Oh and Ozzy released a pretty good album a year or two ago.

I understand the sentiment about great music here that will never be heard but this showcase is just a tiny slice of the great music being produced that will never be heard. Ever since the tools became affordable a lot more folks are producing good and even great music. Of course, since everyone can have those tools the competition for ears is fierce!

I'm just glad I chose a "real" job where I can make a good living without competing with everyone and their monkey!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by JohnJohnJohn
I gotta disagree with y'all (surprise!) IMHO there's a lot of great new music out there right now. Every year during the real Grammys I pick up some new artists from the Americana nominees as well as alternative stuff. I enjoy a lot of Taylor's music. I love Sia. Radiohead still releases great stuff. And if you yearn for great music from bygone eras check out the latest from the Rolling Stones! I swear I enjoyed pretty much every track. Oh and Ozzy released a pretty good album a year or two ago.

I understand the sentiment about great music here that will never be heard but this showcase is just a tiny slice of the great music being produced that will never be heard. Ever since the tools became affordable a lot more folks are producing good and even great music. Of course, since everyone can have those tools the competition for ears is fierce!

I'm just glad I chose a "real" job where I can make a good living without competing with everyone and their monkey!

For us there is indeed a lot of great new music available although for us new does not imply modern styles. Genre wise our interest lies in the big tent called Americana and blues rock. Spotify and sometimes Apple Music daily provide us suggestions of artists that fit those genres. And frequently these are newly released tunes. Via this we have discovered many artists that we listen to regularly that we were completely unaware of.

I sometimes get a bit weary of complaints about how everything has gone down the tubes with the near demise of cassette tapes, CDs and radio channels to their liking. One suggested alternative. Streaming. smile $10 a month or so and you can find your genre bubble and listen to a world of well curated playlists or readily make your own. We listen to music many hours a day in our home and vehicles with never a lack of something good to play. BTW Spotify's DJ IMO is amazing at playing what we like and suggesting similar artists we have not played before.

We have hundreds of albums stacked in the basement. Our music room has a shelf with over 400 CD's. Noticing them on occasion brings back fond memories but little temptation them in action! I'm 78, Janice is 66 and we love streaming ... baby boomers out there on the digital cusp smile smile which assuredly does not make us better or enlightened - just different I reckon.
FWIW
J&B

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
The perspectives here are interesting, but divergent and not necessarily related to the original topic.

I think everyone understands that there's something called Spotify and streaming and Amazon music.

I too spend a considerable amount of time studying the music that is on Amazon and Spotify and everywhere else on the internet. I study it and listen to new stuff everyday.

However, in line with the discussion about AI looming over music as a threat, I think it is fair to point out that a great deal of commercial music has for a while been extremely bland, and copycat, and produced by algorithms, which record companies will readily admit to.

I think that is what people were originally addressing. So, there could be another separate post speaking of all of the wonderful things that one can find on these amazing platforms called streaming if you want to spend the rest of your month looking for them.

0n vinyl: I don't care what anyone has to say about streaming or technology or AI or anything else. All I know is that nothing beats, for me, the experience of getting out my mint condition original vinyl copy of Aja by Steely Dan and laying down that expensive diamond needle on track one, then sitting down on my comfy sofa to hear the music blasting through high end speakers befitting a music snob like me.

Nothing.

And I won't back down on that. Stream all you want. I love flipping through my vinyl stacks on the bookshelves.

🙂

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ugh, well, we are certainly in no danger of that. Because production HAS been bland grey mush for quite a while.

Sadly I agree. The inspirational genius of so many fabulous songwriters has been largely left behind nowadays. Yet I still have hope.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
0n vinyl: I don't care what anyone has to say about streaming or technology or AI or anything else. All I know is that nothing beats, for me, the experience of getting out my mint condition original vinyl copy of Aja by Steely Dan and laying down that expensive diamond needle on track one, then sitting down on my comfy sofa to hear the music blasting through high end speakers befitting a music snob like me.
Lots to comment on here:
1: IMHO because we all have in common a love of music, by definition we're all "music snobs" to some degree. I wear it as a badge of honor smile

2. Unfortunately, all my vinyl and turntable are long gone, lost to history, house moves and mechanical failure; I'm 100% digital when I listen to music, but I still have a toe or two in the analog world when I pick up my bass.

3. Aja. What a masterful album. It so happened that while streaming on my Manassas (Stephen Stills) station this morning that Home at Last played. What a bass line. But what's this about yacht rock"?? " In retrospective appraisals, Aja has been discussed by music journalists as an important release in the development of yacht rock." I understand Steely Dan as one of the finest jazz rock "bands".

4. I'm a bit surprised that there has been no interest on this forum in drilling deep on a specific song like Home at Last. There is such a gold mine to discuss, lyrics, chord progressions, arrangements, instruments used, FX, playing style, vocals, mixing/mastering and on and on. No matter where anyone is on the "music spectrum", there is much to learn from classic, timeless songs.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Home at Last blows me away. Every syllable, every sound. It transports me to Heaven. The playing, the groove, the mastery of words, and instruments--everything. I start smiling the first measure. The way the intro riff starts Bbmaj7/G minor-ish in the key of Bb then goes to Ebmaj7 for verse one--it gets me every time.

The lyrics are genius, the way they capture and toy with the Odyssean legend:

V1

I know this super highway
This bright familiar sun
I guess that I'm the lucky one
Who wrote that tired sea song
Set on this peaceful shore
You think you've heard this one before [AND YES WE HAVE! :)]
Well the danger on the rocks is surely past
Still I remain tied to the mast...
[and this gives me chills every time]
Could it be that I have found my home at last
Home at last

V2

She serves the smooth retsina
She keeps me safe and warm
It's just the calm before the storm
Call in my reservation
So long hey thanks my friend
I guess I'll try my luck again

Damn.

AI will never do this.

Never.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Apologies if this is viewed as a hijack, if others are interested perhaps someone can start a "Deep Dive" thread on this song.

There is a swing and groove to this that really floats my boat. And the brass section is above top shelf.

I also find the D7+9 chord in the chorus to be genius.
How does one write such a chord progression?? . . . Crazy good!

Home at Last

BiaB 2024 Windows
Songwriting
D
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
D
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper

Cool chord breakdown. Use a lot of Maj7 and 9th chords combined with min7's. Sure to get that jazzy feel! grin

Final Tour - Not with a Bang but with a wimper! Ended.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Apologies if this is viewed as a hijack, if others are interested perhaps someone can start a "Deep Dive" thread on this song.

It's definitely a hijack, but I'm not complaining, just thinking that it'll likely also get lost here
Probably the suggestion of "deep dive" threads on great songs is a good idea.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
all...

heres a fun take on fame ....

https://mojim.com/usy119949x1x80.htm

i wonder what he would say about AI.

happiness

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/25/24 04:56 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
Expert
Online Content
Expert
I also find the D7+9 chord in the chorus to be genius.

Become George Gershwin, I suppose. He used that a lot.

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Songwriting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Folks, the music industry is dead, songwriting is not a livelihood. AI isn't wrecking anything because it was already wrecked by streaming, and streaming, well the industry was wrecked before streaming, because of MP3s and everybody downloading them on the internet. And before that it was ruined by.... Well the list goes on, and on, going back to the invention of the well tempered clavichord which ruined music because ... checks notes.. it solidified the 12 tone system and destroyed human tonal freedom.

Or we could just enjoy that suno.ai can write you a song in five seconds about the joy of farting, and be happy. I suggest we be happy and carry on making music because making music (hopefully) makes us happy, not because it makes us any richer. If you can share your music and get someone else to listen to it, great. If you can play a gig at a bar, or a coffee house, great.

I use BIAB as a virtual band to let me jam over whatever I feel like jamming over. Am I upset that some real bass player somewhere has no gig because BIAB stole this non-paying gig of playing bass for me? no. But if you wanna be in my band and you live around here, hey, hit me up.

If you made a track in BIAB and posted it here and are "upset" that you will never get on what remains of the radio music world, well. Adjust your expectations.

Warren

Last edited by Warren P; 07/05/24 01:45 PM.

BIAB Mac 2024
Mac Studio 2022, M1 Max, OS Ventura 13.6
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted by Warren P
If you made a track in BIAB and posted it here and are "upset" that you will never get on what remains of the radio music world, well. Adjust your expectations.
Well said!

Songwriting
S
S
Originally Posted by DrDan
If you are a song writer or a musician AI music will have a strong negative impact on your career! Ain't no ifs and or buts about it. It was only months ago I was uncertain about what this all ment but I now see the direction and capability and it scares me more than ever.

I hear you. The rise of AI in music is definitely concerning for songwriters and musicians. The impact is real and the future seems uncertain. It's a big change and it's understandable to feel scared.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,096
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 203