Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Upgraded from 2022 which was working for what I needed, to 2024. Now, after upgrade the style picker and the new multi picker are playing at a barely audible volume. I am on Win 11. I have a proper system and use ASIO but tried the other options too. When loaded the styles play at normal volume, it's only in the style or mutltipicker that the sound is down. Installing 2024 seems ot have wiped 2022 but I seem to remember there was a volume control in the stylepicker, specifically for playback. This has now gone.

Anyone has any ideas please?

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 07/15/24 01:01 PM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by ZeroZero
................. When loaded the styles play at normal volume, it's only in the style or mutltipicker that the sound is down................................
Anyone has any ideas please?

Z

I might be wrong and if I am someone please correct me but I think the sound for those use the Windows Media Player. That is where you can increase the volume.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted by MarioD
I might be wrong and if I am someone please correct me but I think the sound for those use the Windows Media Player. That is where you can increase the volume.
Yes, that's how I do it.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you. Unfortunately, this has not worked.
When I tried to use Stylepicker again today, I got another error message "Cannot find instrument bank file for Aria Engine Bones". "Do you want to unregister this product to make this error message go away" I have no idea what is going on here but I clicked on Yes, it crashed saying it could not find Plogue something or the other.

Do you mean that I have to go into Windows Media Player as a separate program to alter the volume in the style picker? DO you have to have both [programs open? This seems very a very odd way to program the volumes. I only have The Legacy Player on my machine, Perhaps I need a new Media Player? I don't use Media Player my default player is GOM.

Thank you

Z

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Sorry, I understood that you had an issue with the volume level when auditioning the demo songs from the Style Picker.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I think I figured out the first issue, with your help thanks. Now have a further problem.

What I have learned is that it's possible to use Asio for the general playback of tracks in the main GUI and still have Windows volume control (bottom right of desktop) controlling the playback in the style picker. So, by adjusting both I have approx the same volumes now.

However!
I now have only drums playing a pan flute track on my song! I gthink this is something to do with the aria message but have no clue as to how to resolve it.

Z

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
However!
I now have only drums playing a pan flute track on my song! I gthink this is something to do with the aria message but have no clue as to how to resolve it.

What is the Style that you are using? (Presumably it is using MIDI Drums)
If so this definitely sounds like a MIDI channel issue, or a mapping issue.

Last edited by AudioTrack; 07/16/24 01:57 AM.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
However!
I now have only drums playing a pan flute track on my song! I think this is something to do with the aria message but have no clue as to how to resolve it.

What is the Style that you are using? (Presumably, it is using MIDI Drums)
If so this definitely sounds like a MIDI channel issue, or a mapping issue.

Thank you Audiotrack. This is driving me nuts. It's affecting all tracks. Why are drums coming through the pan flute Track?

I am having numerous issues now. Everything was working yesterday.

Now:
Any Song I pick gives me just the 1 chord.
Instruments are playing through crazy channels - drums through piano tracks for example
Some tracks labelled in mixer but nothing playing
Some tracks are only drums

The "What add-ons do I have" Seems to be reporting correctly. I have just purchased all the new add ons, bar the loops and Mark Laverne MIDI things.
Yesterday I downloaded and installed everything, religiously checking that everything was installed. I am 100 certain there were no mistakes. Today after a reboot a whole series of random files - all the new add-ons, random real track sets, and the Band in the Box app itself, report in the downloader as if they have not been downloaded, even though they have. So, I downloaded them all again including BIAB.

Still the same issues. I think this is all since the Aria message, but am not 100% sure. All was working yesterday.

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 07/16/24 02:48 AM.

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
It's broken. Demo volume reverts "automatically" to 2. Of course I can turn up volume in Windows or in my headphone amplifier. But demo volume DID work a few versions ago, and now it DOESN'T work any longer.

The only solution I know is to turn up volume A LOT, then reduce volume about 12 or 15dB in the main mixer (because in normal mode Band in a Box volume is normal).

An alternative solution that someone suggested was to change the demo volume from 2 to 5 or 6 every time you audition a style... of course this is not practical.

Veteran
Veteran
1 Try return to factory settings.
2 If the above doesn't work, then install an earlier update of biab 24, see if working ok then, if not do another return to factory settings and see how that goes.
3 If biab now works ok, update to the current version.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted by musiclover
1 Try return to factory settings.
2 If the above doesn't work, then install an earlier update of biab 24, see if working ok then, if not do another return to factory settings and see how that goes.
3 If biab now works ok, update to the current version.

Thank you. I have tried the above, it's been a partial success.

I can now load styles and they play back correctly but all my songs to have disappeared. I checked the default folder and they are not there, even after rebuild. cry

Z

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted by parapente
It's broken. Demo volume reverts "automatically" to 2. Of course I can turn up volume in Windows or in my headphone amplifier. But demo volume DID work a few versions ago, and now it DOESN'T work any longer.

The only solution I know is to turn up volume A LOT, then reduce volume about 12 or 15dB in the main mixer (because in normal mode Band in a Box volume is normal).

An alternative solution that someone suggested was to change the demo volume from 2 to 5 or 6 every time you audition a style... of course this is not practical.

Yes, it's broken, omitting a volume control on both the style-picker and multi-style picker is IMO bodgy programming, it was there before if I recall.

However, I think what is happening is even when you are using Asio for the main playback window, the playback of the picker windows is using either WAS or MME. So, this means that three (not two controls) are involved. First, set your Windows volume mixer to the appropriate level for the picker playback to be audible, this may also involve adjusting the physical controls on your amplifier, so that other non-PG programs do not get issues with inappropriate volumes. then when this is right, go into BIAB again and use the main windows volume control under the mixer, and get a rough parity with the picker volumes.

Anyway, this got me working.

I hope this helps

Z

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you people. As nothing above populated my songs folder, I have decided to deinstall BIAB, restart, and reinstall everything. It's going to take some hours. As the faults have changed throughout this thread, I shall start a new thread if I still have issues. Thank you all for your support, I have learnt a thing or two.

Z

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I think ideal, long term solution is equalize all volumes by default to be follow master volume slider, so it offsets any content demo volumes (style's or individual tracks) to that of what master is set to. With manual override, if one really really needs one.

D
Veteran
Veteran
D
I am afraid at this point I have forgotten more about BIAB than I remember...

Please clarify, in this tread are we talking about what is actually playing when we select "Auditioning Style" in the Style Picker? Cause, I don't see any problem with this here. I just brought up the Win 11 Task Manager and I don't see Windows Media Player opening while I do the auditioning in the BIAB style picker.

Final Tour - Not with a Bang but with a wimper! Ended.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted by DrDan

Please clarify, in this tread are we talking about what is actually playing when we select "Auditioning Style" in the Style Picker? Cause, I don't see any problem with this here. I just brought up the Win 11 Task Manager and I don't see Windows Media Player opening while I do the auditioning in the BIAB style picker.

As said above I have decided on a complete rebuild and am in the midst of it all here now. But to answer your question the two posts about Windows Media Player, I think actually referred to the Windows volume control in the bottom right of the desktop. Tweaking that changes the volume of BIAB auditioning, even when you have set the driver to Asio.

Z

D
Veteran
Veteran
D

As said above I have decided on a complete rebuild and am in the midst of it all here now. But to answer your question the two posts about Windows Media Player, I think actually referred to the Windows volume control in the bottom right of the desktop. Tweaking that changes the volume of BIAB auditioning, even when you have set the driver to Asio.

Z

Ya that is exactly what I have here and what I would expect. That to me is just the PC audio output to what ever speakers you assign. I keep this on full volume and then reach over to the desktop speakers for adjustment when needed. So I guess I don't understand what your problem is. I will have to read this thread again?

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
My problem was I was running in Asio and nowhere in the program does it say that part of the program was running in Windows Audio. I have never seen this quirky thing before. Not being psychic I never imagined it was even possible for one application to use both. I even had a chat with a person at PG about this and they were stumped too asked me to email in. There should either be a volume control within the application or there should be notice telling us to adjust the volume outside of the application.

Z

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
ASIO vs WMA vs Windows mixer volume is not the question. The question is that Style Preview HAS its own volume control that does not work. Well, it seems to work but it reverts to a fixed value (2 in my case, don't ask me why). This worked before. It's a BROKEN feature. Like many others.

After struggling with many new bugs in the last 5 years (V2020 to V2024, from Megapack to Audiophile) I think it is more productive to stick with known bugs and live without new features. Less stress. Less money. More time to make music with limited tools. I'll vote this with my wallet in 2025.

Last edited by parapente; 07/18/24 01:15 AM.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
ASIO vs WMA vs Windows mixer volume is not the question. The question is that Style Preview HAS its own volume control that does not work. Well, it seems to work but it reverts to a fixed value (2 in my case, don't ask me why). This worked before. It's a BROKEN feature. Like many others.

After struggling with many new bugs in the last 5 years (V2020 to V2024, from Megapack to Audiophile) I think it is more productive to stick with known bugs and live without new features. Less stress. Less money. More time to make music with limited tools. I'll vote this with my wallet in 2025.

I have a lot of sympathy for you. I have used BB for at least twenty years, the programming has always been very poorly implemented. Having has more crashes and issues in BB than any other program I own (and I have many hundreds), I now only use BB as playback for rehearsing a few chords.
BIAB updates are very expensive. Cubase updates - by comparison are about $100. There are some things that it does well principally real tracks but a lot of it has a distinct Windows 95 (and has not changed since) feel and it lags behind in development. It took ages to even produce a Win64 version - years of waiting even once every other program changed. I was looking forward to using my VSTs but nope they all crashed. I just lost all faith in stable programming and that is why I rarely post anymore. This new install just wiped all my songs from my songs folder.

As for volume control. You say there "is" a volume control? Well, I can't find it. ALL my auditions were playing back at a minuscule volume. Today, PG has informed me that each individual track has a volume control. This is no help when you have over 10,000 styles. I think you may mean the plus sign sub-menu represented with only a + sign. This only affects one track at a time and when you have 10,000 this is no help.
As things stand, someone using Asio has to guess that the demos do not use Asio and use Windows Audio. Further, if you turn down the Windows control when NOT using BIAB, when you come back to BIAB you have the same low volume issues repeated. I realized this but others may not. In older versions of BIAB, there was a global volume control for all the tracks. This was visible at the bottom of the style picker. It had a repeat function too. This needs a return.

BB does have many strengths. Principally real tracks, it's main GUI is easy to use but it needs updating and could do much more. Other clickable GUIs are a hotch potch of this and that. BB has an enormous number of real tracks and I know of no program that can compare but it's still poorly programmed. The way I see BB is that it is a Rolls Royce of a program floating on a dodgy wooden raft.

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 07/18/24 02:14 AM.

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
The volume is hidden here (see attachment). In my case it is defaulted to 2. I can change it (and it works momentarily), but if I try a new style (this is the normal thing to do), it defaults to "2" again. So in practice, if you want to demo songs, you are stuck with "2". Only solution: Increase volume in Windows. When I hear this as the solution (or even worse, the appropriate customer behaviour) there is a moment to say enough.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BiaB_Bug.jpg (75.08 KB, 50 downloads)
D
Veteran
Veteran
D
I never even knew that specific hidden demo volume setting existed. So I checked it out. Guess what, mine defualts to 10/10! . crazy

But regarding the overall frustration you express... sorry, I got nothing to say about that.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The volume is hidden here (see attachment). In my case it is defaulted to 2. I can change it (and it works momentarily), but if I try a new style (this is the normal thing to do), it defaults to "2" again. So in practice, if you want to demo songs, you are stuck with "2". Only solution: Increase volume in Windows. When I hear this as the solution (or even worse, the appropriate customer behaviour) there is a moment to say enough.

Yes, that's what I said, but it only applies to one track. Anyway what an obscure place to put a volume control! I know of no other program that puts a volume control is such a drop down menu. Mine is behaving not defaulting back.

Veteran
Veteran
I never even knew that specific hidden demo volume setting existed. So I checked it out. Guess what, mine defualts to 10/10! BIAB v 1113. crazy

But regarding the overall frustration you express... sorry, I got nothing to say about that.

I never knew it existed either. Mine is set at 5/10. Thus three different preset volumes tells me that there is no standard setting.

Also what a dumb place to put a volume control. Also it should be a global setting and not song dependent.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
parapente, if you put something like" put the demo volume control in the preference window and make it global and not song dependent" you will get a big +1 from me.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
... Anyway what an obscure place to put a volume control! I know of no other program that puts a volume control is such a drop down menu...

As much as I don't want to be negative, I simply have to agree frown

This really is unusual crazy

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,686
Posts748,096
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 202