Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It could also be a plugin.

I know about tempo maps but sometimes I want a song that was not recorded to a click track to play at a fixed tempo. Why? I often write arrangements and I use a recorded song in one track and add string, brass and woodwind parts in other tracks. It would be easier and less cluttered visually if there were only one tempo. Does a program exist that can sense beats and adjust to a specific tempo I would set?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
Why not use Audio edit in BIAB?

import the non-click track audio
adjust the bar lines accordingly
equalize tempo to your choice
add whatever tracks you need and they will line-up

Or do you have any other prerequisites that will throw this option overboard?

On the latest Win version
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I don’t think so. I’ll try that, thanks. For 30+ years I’ve used other programs for editing audio.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
RB does all the same stuff .. and sometimes the ACW in RB excels above BiaB

Just another option ..

Last edited by rharv; 07/19/24 03:41 PM.

I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Make your sound your own!
Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

What Thomas is describing sounds like the new ACW (introduced in 2018 and then modified in 2020). I think it's excellent, and it has the ability to equalize tempos.

I encourage you to have a look at PG Music's 2020 New-Features video (from timestamp 25:06).

PG Music have included a tutorial file in "bb\documentation\Tutorials\Tutorial - BB2018". I found it very valuable to open "Shenandoah" in BIAB (using "Open Special | Open Audio) and to follow along, step-by-step, with the video tutorial in the 2020 new-features video. I'm presently running a pre-release version of build 1112 and ACW worked easily and flawlessly for me as described in the video.

--Noel

P.S. At the moment, I'm in the process of creating a more thorough document about how I use ACW and some of the things I've recently discovered about it that are not included in the either the video or the documentation. You've probably already seen the Lively Discussion (Windows forum) about ACW.

While there was a tempo-related problem with ACW that was introduced in a recent build (and is now fixed, as far as I know), the confusion about how to use it effectively seems to be mostly related to not fully understanding: (a) how the manual mode and the automatic mode work and when to switch from one to the other and back again; (b) how to set the initial chordsheet; (c) the need to give ACW sufficient information to interpret the audio as accurately as possible within the bounds of the automatic process. When I finish the document I'm working on, I'll let you know smile

P.P.S. As rharv has hinted at, Realband has a click-track function that could be used to do what you want. Compared to the new ACW, the click-track process requires more manual input and effort. The ACW in Realband is the old version that is no longer available in BIAB. It has automatic beat detection (under the "Analysis" menu) which could be very useful for what you want.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Many thanks, Noel! I’ll look this over.

T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
Small update below for further clarification

Why not use Audio edit in BIAB?

import the non-click track audio
adjust the bar lines accordingly
equalize tempo to your choice
add whatever tracks you need and they will line-up

after equalizing save the BIAB file and then also the audio file, which now is set to a single "click track" tempo, is saved
continue in your preferred audio editing software with the audio file

On the latest Win version
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Mat I know you mentioned knowing all about Melodyne but it can easily convert the file to a constant tempo of the project. Is there a problem with using that for you because I know you have Melodyne?

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 11

D
Veteran
Veteran
D
I am a bit confused. By "constant tempo" are you using that term to be a synonym for "tempo map"? Cause, mixing audio tracks which have a slightly different tempo would involve some degree of pitch shifting. On the other hand, using a tempo map will permit you to mix audio, which is not consistently played to the grid, with midi.

Reapear will create a tempo map, Melodyn will create a tempo map and SMP will also do it. All three with the push of a button. I used all on a recent project and they all worked great.

Or am I just showing my ignorance.

Final Tour - Not with a Bang but with a wimper! Ended.

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
I am refering to a fixed tempo of the project. If a recording was not used with a click track the tempo can vary. Melodyne can analyze the the averages and stretch and compress the audio to a fixed tempo of the project.

Expert
Online Content
Expert
Melodyne can do it, I find that Digital Performer is a lot better.

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks to all. I’m busy with concerts and will need some time to experiment with these suggestions. Really appreciate the help.

D
Veteran
Veteran
D
Originally Posted by Brian Hughes
I am refering to a fixed tempo of the project. If a recording was not used with a click track the tempo can vary. Melodyne can analyze the the averages and stretch and compress the audio to a fixed tempo of the project.

OK, got ya. I would call that quantization. I have not had much need for this. In general for me, when the tempo changes it is intentional, so I just need to use a tempo map to bring any midi to the grid. Thanks.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
To reiterate so there is no confusion, I want to take a commercial stereo audio track and make it one constant tempo. I do realize the benefits of MIDI and the musicality of organic changes in tempo. My specific need is to make a song one track in my notation program so I can play around with transcriptions and arranging, without having to fool with changing tempos making it out of sync. What’s an easy way to do that?

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
OK, got ya. I would call that quantization. I have not had much need for this. In general for me, when the tempo changes it is intentional, so I just need to use a tempo map to bring any midi to the grid. Thanks. [/quote]

Yes it is the same thing just different term. This video explains what I am talking about. I know Mat uses Studio One Pro as well as Melodyne, this is why I was suggesting this approach. Of course there are lots of ways to skin a whatever laugh
Melodyne in Studio One: Stretching the tempo

D
Veteran
Veteran
D
Ya, this all makes sense. I have dabbled with this in the past, but I can tell you there does come a time when you need a true audio engineer to do this. Since this can tend to blow ones mind during the production... grin

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dan, I’ve done just enough audio engineering to understand what you mean! This request doesn’t mean I can’t make it work; it means I’m searching for an easier way since I want to be in arranger mode, not engineer mode.

And I haven’t yet had time to check the good ideas here so far …

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,685
Posts748,094
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 203