Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#817550 07/21/24 02:34 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In applied statistics we have a very important and useful theorem called the Central Limit Theorem (CLT). This basically states that if you have several different random distributions at play in some process that with a large enough sample size two things will emerge no matter how different in shape the individual distributions are and even if these distributions are highly non-symmetric. These are:

1. If you add up the random values from the various and different distributions the resulting distribution will be the normal distribution (the common and symmetric Bell Curve). This will happen even if none of the underlying distribution are Bell Curves.
2. If you average all of the averages of the individual distributions, the result will be the average of the above Bell Curve.

I've always been fascinated by this; it's bigger than humans. It’s as if nature or God (or both) seek symmetry no matter what the process may be; from manufacturing ball bearings, to various processes in biology, chemistry, astronomy, etc.

The only example that comes to my mind in the music world is a large choir. Let’s say you have a 300 member moderately or poorly talented choir and everyone tries to sing the same note. Since we have 300 different random distributions, some will sing it flat and some will sing it sharp and maybe a few or none will hit it spot on. Yet, the CLT will tell you that the ensemble average (what the listeners hear) will be close to the target note and at least be recognizable if not pleasing.

I understand that the above will happen at the individual note-level and at the song-level.

My question is, has anyone seen this principle play out in music?

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
The only example that comes to my mind in the music world is a large choir. Let’s say you have a 300 member moderately or poorly talented choir and everyone tries to sing the same note. Since we have 300 different random distributions, some will sing it flat and some will sing it sharp and maybe a few or none will hit it spot on. Yet, the CLT will tell you that the ensemble average (what the listeners hear) will be close to the target note and at least be recognizable if not pleasing.
In actual practice, the size of your choir will always be smaller than the number of people you need to average out the people off-pitch.

Plus, a choir isn't static. Each choir member more or less believes that they are on pitch. The people who are on pitch will be trying to blend, so they will be relatively quiet.

Meanwhile, the people who are woefully off pitch will sing even louder, because they're trying to show everyone else what the right note is.

In contrast, when you've got a group of string instruments starting on a pitch, because they aren't fretted, they'll all likely be slightly off pitch. But because they're listening to each other, the instruments will quickly home in on the proper pitch, where "proper pitch" is defined as whatever the first chair is playing.

Except for Ed, who lost his place several bars back, and is miming his part hoping that no one notices.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Absolutely not. In fact, the opposite is normal.

Symphony orchestras play sharper as the concert progresses. The Haynes Flute Co. has documentation on this effect. When you order one of their $20K–$80,000 (and up) flutes, you specify how sharp you expect it to play and then adjust down at the beginning of the evening. Chamber ensembles are far less likely to do this as each player can hear all the others and the keyboard if present.

I’ve been directing choirs since 1969. Some are more in tune than others. If I had to generalize, the bigger they are, the flatter they sing. Hall acoustics have as much to do with this as anything else.

16-20 well trained choristers is about as large an ensemble as I have ever heard sing acapella with near-perfect intonation.

In my first orchestra holding a bass chair, I learned about ensemble intonation: If I hear the other basses but not myself, I’m in tune but the second I hear myself clearly, I’m not anymore. I discovered that to be true as a choral singer as well and train my singers accordingly.

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I'm no expert, but I understand that pianos are tuned slightly sharper than normal pitch at the higher octaves (with each note interval per octave representing the 12th root of two - the semitone interval), and this is deliberate, because the human ear hears 'flatter' at higher frequencies.

Certainly my Yamaha Concert Grand is tuned this way. In this case, it relates to the human ear perception of 'what is in tune',

I think I read somewhere that the 88th note on a piano is approximately a semitone sharper.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
No, but I know folks who would hear those sharp and flat notes within that 300 and be unhappy with the ensemble. 😀

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think the big choirs are more likely populated with people who can actually sing in key and had to pass an audition to get on the choir... Choirs like the Mormon Tabernacle and a few other high profile ones come to mind. Your average church choir is looking for almost anyone who claims they can sing, to fill the chairs. The result is an averaging of pitches to get reasonably close to sounding halfway decent. Except for Sister Agatha. Agatha always sings sharp and louder than everyone else with a voice that is reminiscent of something halfway between a factory time clock whistle and a banshee from the pits of Hades.

In the past, I had actually joined the church choir. I was one of the few who had permission to do "special music" solo's without the requirement of being in the choir. I did acquiesce to the requests of the music minister to join. It was a nightmare for me. I can hear very small deviations in pitch and being in the midst of a group of people who were singing either sharper or flatter than the given key of the song, well, I would often find myself just listening rather than adding to the cacophony. After a couple of weeks of utter boredom and frustration, I had another discussion with the MM and told him it simply wasn't my thing and he could either use me where I could be helpful or opt to not use me.

In another time.....even earlier. I knew a couple of piano tuners through the years. While watching and observing the actual tuning process, I noticed that they would tune using the strobe tuner and then reference the note against another note lower on the piano. Then they would tweek that higher note based on the lower one rather than what the strobe tuner said. Asking about that, I was told that you trust the piano to tell you the truth rather than the strobe tuner. It had to do with the characteristics of a given piano. While it was generally true that certain notes on a piano were correctly to pitch, those notes were something to pay attention to and adjust on a per basis. Kinda like the same way many guitarists have tuning issues with the G string on their guitar. I know that on my guitars, I can tune the G string but then I need to adjust it slightly flat on my guitars for it to work well in chords. It's fascinating how that works.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

James Taylor pointed out that very thing about guitars in a video I watched once. He said most guitars are notorious for this inherent flaw, that some of the strings have to be slightly out of tune at times to sound right.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Agreed, I fight with that string quite often ..
Tune guitar via tuner
Play a few chords
Tweak G almost every single time by ear.

I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Make your sound your own!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I almost started thinking it was a Strat thing (all 3 did it) .. so glad it's not just me.

I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Make your sound your own!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Back in the band days we always tuned the G within a chord context. Never thought about the issue until now. Interesting y’all!

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by David Snyder
James Taylor pointed out that very thing about guitars in a video I watched once. He said most guitars are notorious for this inherent flaw, that some of the strings have to be slightly out of tune at times to sound right.

I've seen that one too!

I love the giant tuner he's got. laugh

(Yes, I know it's a video screen)

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
That's a cool JT video. Won't argue with HIM about guitar tuning...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'm no expert, but I understand that pianos are tuned slightly sharper than normal pitch at the higher octaves (with each note interval per octave representing the 12th root of two - the semitone interval), and this is deliberate, because the human ear hears 'flatter' at higher frequencies.

This is called Stretch tuning or Octave Stretching. There's more of a stretch in the bass as one goes lower than in the treble. Some Peterson tuners have these curves built in and they also publish them for those who wish to adjust the temperment manually. The length of the soundboard is the key factor though pianists who play softer than average do not require as much stetch.
Peterson 490-ST Manual with recommended stretch guides

JT is describing tempered tuning. This wasn't new when JS Bach wrote about it in 1722, either.

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,682
Posts748,070
Members38,855
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
nancyray, Ewan Devico, JKeller, Kikebetico, vantuir
38,855 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197