Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
First, check for a bad USB cable. Just swap it out and see.

Second, about the power draw: besides Dan’s question, you might consider getting a tester. Klein Tools makes a tester, about $40 I think for the better of the two models, that checks the available current from the port and the draw of the device, plus of course the voltage (5).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
J
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Originally Posted by rharv
Does this 'dock' have its own power supply or does it run off the computer?

Either way, it's probably a cheaper fix than a new computer.
Not that I want to talk you out of a newer computer ..

rharv: It has it's own internal power supply and an older style USB cable.

A new one only costs $38 from Amazon, if I decide to replace it.

On the newer computer, I am currently using my old Laptop because my old desktop bit the dust 6 months ago when the MB went bad. And I do mean it was old, bought back in 2006 and it used an AMD Phenom 6 core processor. Not a big loss as it did not even have all the instruction sets to run many of today's programs and was incompatible with the newer version of Windows 11.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Off-Topic
J
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
It is definitely pointing to the Inateck DS.

Just tried to copy some data over to a spare Toshiba 500gb mechanical laptop drive and it failed after 3gb of data 3 times.

See the attachment.

I then used a single USB to SATA cable and it copied 350 GB of data over flawlessly using the same USB port, 2 separate AOEMI backup images were transferred without a hitch.

That's all I needed to see.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
usb.jpg (101.17 KB, 114 downloads)

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So this gets replaced, right?
Or at least the power side of it .. the rest of it may work fine, considering USB to SATA worked, all signs (so far) seem to point to power supply at the Inatek more than the unit itself. I've had wall warts fail more times than I care to count, when the unit itself was fine

Last edited by rharv; 08/17/24 11:56 AM.

I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Make your sound your own!
Off-Topic
J
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Originally Posted by rharv
So this gets replaced, right?
Or at least the power side of it .. the rest of it may work fine, considering USB to SATA worked, all signs (so far) seem to point to power supply at the Inatek more than the unit itself. I've had wall warts fail more times than I care to count, when the unit itself was fine

Just copied another bunch of files over via the SATA to USB device and had zero problems.

Good idea about the power supply. I have a bunch of them and even have an old Radio Shack universal power supply with different voltage and polarity settings. Will probably try that tomorrow.

BIAB2024
Windows 10 Pro
WA6NCB
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The laptop is an old HP Envy 7 that I purchased back in 2013. I am wondering if the power output of the USB port is being taxed too high with mechanical drives plugged in along with an SSD.
When powering external devices from a laptop, try to connect to the USB port that is as close as possible to the laptop power connection. This minimizes risk of voltage drops that can occur using longer circuit-board tracks on the internal motherboard.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
The laptop is an old HP Envy 7 that I purchased back in 2013. I am wondering if the power output of the USB port is being taxed too high with mechanical drives plugged in along with an SSD.
When powering external devices from a laptop, try to connect to the USB port that is as close as possible to the laptop power connection. This minimizes risk of voltage drops that can occur using longer circuit-board tracks on the internal motherboard.
Older USB 2 ports are normally limited to to 0.5A and (usually?) will disconnect if that is exceeded
A lot of external drive now expect USB 3 (blue) ports that can supply 3A.

Some older drives had two USB connections to get over the 0.5A limit. Often they'll work OK on just one connection, but it's pushing luck a bit.

Trace length certainly can be an issue and there's also a small current sense resistance in the the circuit so that an over-current can be detected, so the nominal 3V can drop a little.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
[quote=Gordon Scott....................................
................................................... [/quote]

This unit comes with its own power supply. For years I have the same unit plugged into an USB 3 powered hub and I have never had a problem. In fact the specs for this unit calls for USB 3, this from their website:

" RGB Effect Available: The RGB LED flashes quickly when there is a hard drive working in the docking station. It enters breathing mode when the hard drive is under sleep status or gets removed.
Offline Clone: The docking station can operate offline cloning independent from a computer.
Fast Transfer Speed: Besides USB 3.0 super speed, the docking station supports UASP, which provides even faster data transfer.
Wide Compatibility: Support up to 2 x 10TB hard drives. The product is compatible with almost all kinds of 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs and SSDs on the market.
Package List: 1 x Inateck SA02003 docking station, 1 x instruction manual, 1 x 12V/3A Power Adapter, 1 x USB 3.0 Data Cable."

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Product Manager
Product Manager
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
Both of my 2012 MacBook Pros have 2TB MX500, probably 6 years old. One still has its original battery and WiFi/BT card which is a miracle IMO.
My 2012 still has its original battery too, around 400 cycles and still runs for 4-5 hours of the original 7.

Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
No. You're quoting the 2TB. I specifically mentioned the P3+ 4TB, rated 800TBW. From the Product Data Sheet:

CRUCIAL P3 PLUS

Endurance - Total Bytes
Written (TBW)
500GB SSD = 110TB (TBW)
1TB SSD = 220TB (TBW)
2TB SSD = 440TB (TBW)
4TB SSD = 800TB (TWB)
Ah ok, I was comparing the 2tb Blue vs the 2tb P3+. The 4tb Blue is 1200TBW, still better than 800TBW for the P3+.

Originally Posted by justanoldmuso
could it be that the reason ive never ever had even one drive..old or new tech go on the blink is i always go for small drives eg 256 or 512 ?
I'd expect the opposite, given that smaller drives have less space available to round-robin. Example - if you wrote 1tb to a 1tb drive it only writes each bit once, where if you wrote 1tb worth of data to a 256gb drive that would overwrite every bit 4 times. This doesn't account for the flash controller failing, only the actual NAND flash.

Originally Posted by Matt Finley
First, check for a bad USB cable. Just swap it out and see.
Always the first thing to try. I recently bought a pair of USB-C M.2 enclosures, and both disconnect under any amount of load - but only when using the included USB cables. Using other cables I had laying around, no issues at all.

Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
The blue USB-A ports can deliver up to 900ma. USB C can deliver 1.5A on a single lane or 3A with multi-lane, or higher if using "power delivery" standards.

Originally Posted by Joseph Land
It is definitely pointing to the Inateck DS.

Just tried to copy some data over to a spare Toshiba 500gb mechanical laptop drive and it failed after 3gb of data 3 times.

See the attachment.

I then used a single USB to SATA cable and it copied 350 GB of data over flawlessly using the same USB port, 2 separate AOEMI backup images were transferred without a hitch.

That's all I needed to see.
Glad you've found the culprit!

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Simon - PG Music
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
The blue USB-A ports can deliver up to 900ma. USB C can deliver 1.5A on a single lane or 3A with multi-lane, or higher if using "power delivery" standards.
Hmm ... I'll explore that.
The USB-A ports I've done have all used the TI power-distribution chips that set the limit at 500mA continuous, with current trip from750mA.

I have a couple of USB-C power supplies that will deliver 3A at 5V or(?) 12V.

The USB 3 Power Delivery spec. says 3A, but if "power delivery" is special, that may explain that. USB has become a bit convoluted and I haven't designed with it in the last few years.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Simon - PG Music

Simon's quite correct about 900mA for blue ports, I inadvertently checked the "power delivery" specification for power capability, not the main specification, without realising it was a special case. In my defence, at 631 pages the USB-3.1 specification is 1.5 times the size of the BIAB manual and the power delivery specification is a further 381 pages. The base USB-2 spec is another 650 pages, then there are the protocol specs and the connector specs and ....

Where I last worked, when I reported a delay because something on USB wasn't yet working properly (A Windows 7 bug as it turned out) our sales director's response was "It's USB, you just plug it in and it works! What's the problem?".
Idiot!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"It's USB, you just plug it in and it works! What's the problem?".
I do remember the slogan 'Plug and Play' often being referred to as 'Shrug and Pray"

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"It's USB, you just plug it in and it works! What's the problem?".
I do remember the slogan 'Plug and Play' often being referred to as 'Shrug and Pray"
Microsoft in particular were infamous for doing half-baked implementations of the host end. That's why people like FTDI gave up and wrote their own alternative drivers.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is worth watching. (Ben Eater is a genius)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's another from Ben Eater:

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I watched a little of both, but they're really a very low level view of things. The PS/2 interface over USB is almost a kludge just to maintain some compatibility. It's very, very simple.

The device discovery video covers a little more, but stays almost entirely within the basic "Hi, who are you" section of the protocol.

The HMI protocol page which he's showing is about as low in the protocol as one can get and still function, apart from that PS/2 interface over USB.

There's lots more.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh yes, it's low level, no question about that. Ben Eater works at bit level, always.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh yes, it's low level, no question about that. Ben Eater works at bit level, always.
Oh, I see. No, I meant basic rather than bit-level.

Yes, one one very often does have to get right down to bit-level to manage much of USB, often for stuff that's not really relevant.

I wrote a long-ish explanation, but it's now seriously off-topic, so I binned it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,758
Posts748,870
Members38,873
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
burny7777, Sarah, annaclara58427, ELDebansky, Chief O’ Stuff
38,873 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 160