Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
While there is a dedicated forum section for RT/Midi requests, I thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss some of the particular instrumental or MIDI tracks that you feel are under-represented in BIAB. Perhaps it will give some ideas to PGM crew.
Unlike Wishlist, lets try to elaborate on why you feel specific tracks are important. Especially if it's hard to substitute these with other software. I will start.

Non-soloist woodwinds (recorder / flute) rhythm parts that are suitable for genres like Pop / Pop Rock. While there are a lot of brass/wind RTs in BIAB, most are Jazz/Latin or soloist. I think simpler tracks are important because they can be used as fill ins / background for many other genres and compositions outside mainstream Pop/ Rock. Unfortunately pattern/phrase based winds that are available on the market are for either Classical or Scoring music, or their phrases do not transpose properly and have to be used "as recorded". Also, there are almost no musician played MIDI Wind loops / phrases on the whole internet.

Ska, Reggae, Punk guitars.
Simply only a handful of these are in PGM catalog. They are good, but only so few of them. There are plenty of realistic strumming VSTi available. I have tried most of them. Unfortunately these particular genres sound horrible. They need to be played. The only realistic sounding ones are from NI Session Guitarist series, because they are phrase based (similar to PGM) But even if you have whole NI Guitarist catalog, there are only about 8 related sets across electric and acoustic instruments.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Have fun.

I don't know that my needs are the same as anyone else's. With the DAW plug-in, I can get any results I want these days.

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Misha, about this:

"Also, there are almost no musician played MIDI Wind loops / phrases on the whole internet."

I don't know, but ask MarioD. If anyone here would know, it's Mario.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Think realistic sounding pushed chords are still under represented in pop/rock styles for guitars, keyboards and bass. Maybe this has changed, as I gave up on using them with BiaB many years ago. I'd be very happy to be wrong.

There ARE some nice strummed guitars that start slightly before the first beat, and some "push" styles that have some pushes built into the phrasing. But I'm referring to using the ^ and ^^ 1/16 and 1/8 push chords in the chord view.

For me, this is really the only glaring weakness in how BiaB helps me fill out the music I hear in my head.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mike,
Good point. For the most part I have all I need for making tunes. I would say between BIAB and other software I own, my toolbox is 90% complete. But there are a few missing puzzle pieces.
---
Matt,
Actually I had a conversation with Mario about winds some time ago. I have done extensive research. Outside Scoring / Orchestral phrase based wind VSTi's there is almost nothing out there for other genres. There are audio loops, but you can't transpose them. I believe PGM has an opportunity to fill that gap. To record a wind player or have a good keyboardist who has understanding of winds write whole bunch of these tracks for SuperMidi tracks.
RT 2364 - ElectroFlutes or SuperMidi: 2465 (which is Midi version) by Miles Black would be a very good examples of what I am talking about. This track was done long time ago, unfortunately nothing close was published in years.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Misha, there are some MIDI wind loops or phrases out there; I have a few. BUT as is they are bland, i.e. no nuances. There is a reason for that. If a wind controller produced horn or woodwind phrase they would at least add pitch bend and vibrato nuances. It may sound great on their system, lets say they are using GM. But if the user uses any other sound source then what the producer used it may not sound good at all. For instance if the producer used a 50 cent pitch bend but the users pitch bend is set to 2 octaves, well it just wouldn't work. Same with vibrato and other settings. Different manufactures have different specs. Thus horn and wind loops and phrases keep things bland and let the use add the nuances.

Thus if PGM recorded horn and wind parts with nuances from a wind controller they would work in PGM products but may be a problem for those using anything other than GM

I hope this makes sense.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mario,
it does make sense, but there is a middle ground too. The SuperMidi track I've mentioned sounds good if revoiced with different synths. I've used parts of that particular track at least on 1/2 a dozen tunes and I've heard it on many tracks in Showcase too smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is a valuable conversation. I do wish for more SuperMIDI tracks in BIAB.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by DC Ron

There ARE some nice strummed guitars that start slightly before the first beat, and some "push" styles that have some pushes built into the phrasing. But I'm referring to using the ^ and ^^ 1/16 and 1/8 push chords in the chord view.

For me, this is really the only glaring weakness in how BiaB helps me fill out the music I hear in my head.

I gave up on that years ago. Again the DAW plug-in is my friend. Otherwise, I export the Audiophile tracks and edit the "push" as you call it in Digital Performer.

In this recent example, I used BIAB _OLDBOP.STY. Measures were set 4 beats to a bar but I needed the occasional 6, syncopation was not possible except in the piano and some of the bass. The descending bass notes were flat out wrong for a minor key. All were easily fixed in Digital Performer but I didn't use the plug-in—I really liked the sounds. I used Pure DSP inside DP to fix the bass instead of Melodyne or ZTX as it was faster and I wanted the bass to sound more like I did before my stroke. A friend had laid an acoustic rhythm I liked but in the wrong key so I cut the BIAB drums to match his feel while keeping the bass/piano/rhythm guitar in the same relative position to the drums. I did stretch some of the bass notes and a few piano chords to cover the spaces but only when that was audible.

I was going to edit the hard bop guitar solo but I just cut out parts where I didn't want it. I'd planned the track as a throwaway to be replaced later but the client loved it as-is. Ok... his dime.

Anyway, this is 56 seconds and you should be able to see what I did. Descending order: Metronome/click, Drums, Bass, Guitar 1 (rhythm), Piano, Guitar 2 (lead).

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
...Anyway, this is 56 seconds and you should be able to see what I did. Descending order: Metronome/click, Drums, Bass, Guitar 1 (rhythm), Piano, Guitar 2 (lead).

Mike, super job on your example, and I appreciate you taking the time to lay it out. I do on occasion move things around manually, and it can be, as per your example, really effective. But I wish it wasn't necessary to achieve basic contemporary music forms.

For another example, a strummed acoustic guitar will (in real life) often begin with an upstroke when pushed, and a downstroke when on the beat. So time shifting the downstroke first beat sound to the pushed beat will not sound natural. I could go look for an upstroke and move it around but...argh!

After several years of grumbling about pushes I've (mostly) decided to just keep quiet. This one just slipped out. Sorry. smile

Last edited by DC Ron; 08/16/24 03:26 AM.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
Mario,
it does make sense, but there is a middle ground too. The SuperMidi track I've mentioned sounds good if revoiced with different synths. I've used parts of that particular track at least on 1/2 a dozen tunes and I've heard it on many tracks in Showcase too smile

Misha,

Yes of course that is correct also and that is why I said, "may not sound good at all" and "may be a problem".
Personally I prefer purchased patches to be bland so I can determine what and when to add said nuances. But if those MIDI patches are totally editable then I am fine with both scenarios.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
This is a valuable conversation. I do wish for more SuperMIDI tracks in BIAB.

Yes, and more styles utilizing them.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
+1 for SuperMIDI tracks.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A bit off topic ... when it comes to keys we exclusively use MST's. We start with an RT to work up the arrangement and later switch to the MST equivalent. I'm spoiled I suppose as Logic Pro has absolutely great sounds for acoustic pianos, electric pianos and organs. So far we've always been able to find a MST that more than meets our needs.

Bud

You can listen to our catalog on Apple Music or Spotify by searching on Janice Merritt
Our Videos are here on our website
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,758
Posts748,870
Members38,873
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
burny7777, Sarah, annaclara58427, ELDebansky, Chief O’ Stuff
38,873 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 160