Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Man, I love how you work with history to make these outstanding creations, Steve. I like how the piano immates sub sounds. Speaking of sub sounds, your bass is perfect with just the right taste and execution. Did you ever spend any time in a submarine? Yeow, I toured one at harbor in Baltimore. No thanks. Now, if they piped in your music. it would've been so much better.

Hey Marty,
No one here on the the forum has a better set of ears than you. I did try to immitate sub pings on my keyboard. At about 1:00 I toggle between the lowest C and highest C using an acoustic piano voice, then later on I try to fold-in something a bit different using an e-piano. I'm not nearly as musically perceptive as you!

I never spent any time on a sub, but I am fascinated by all the technology that has to come together to make such a thing work, from life support, to navigation, to weapon systems; all while being as quiet and undetectable as possible. The engineering challenges must be immense. But it's the submariners I really admire. If we ever visit Baltimore, we'll do that tour.

Many thanks for the kind and perceptive review!

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Greg Johnson
Very cool musical soundscape you've created here!! Would be a great soundtrack! I've always been terrified at the idea of going down in a sub. Take care. Greg

Greg thanks so much for the feedback.
Truth be told, I'm not sure if I could operate in a sub either.
. . . but I sure am grateful for those that do.

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
MarioD #819429 08/12/24 04:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by MarioD
Steve, this sound great.
Nice playing and effects
Outstanding drums!
Another great song added to your WWII playbook.
Thanks for the listen Mario.
Yeah, I was pleased on how the BiaB drums turned out; basically a happy accident.
I knew I wanted to bring them in after the Roland percussion so a distinction would be noticed but the happy accident was that I didn't design where the fills were located. When I heard them in the mix for the 1st time it took me by suprise and liked the unexpectedness of it.

BiaB 2024 Windows
Al-David #819555 08/13/24 11:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Al-David
Hi Steve,

You have a very cool concept going with your WW2 tributes. Great sound effects and a terrific mix. Congrats on a job very well produced.

Alan
Thanks so much Alan, I always appreciate your reviews.
There are not enough tributes for the Greatest Generation; we owe those guys and gals much.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
When I read the title, I was immediately expecting cool effects and I was happy to get them. And the bass melody, that was nice surprise smile The drums and the synths remind me of certain Brit new wave artists in the early 80's.

Quite unique mood, enjoyed the use of the effects and instruments and how they kept telling the story. Nice visit to the past and deep down, I felt the claustrophobia and fear in the low notes and excitement in the upper notes (reminded me also of a computer game Silent Service).

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

rayc #819650 08/14/24 09:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by rayc
Enjoyed it.
The somewhat Eastern/exotic melody mid way was a change up.
The percussion, before the kit came in, reminded me of the late 80s when Elvis Costello use similar sounds in his side projects as The Imposter.
Australia has subs too...not quite as problematic as the ones we've now bought on the never never.
Hey Ray, thanks for the listen and feedback. I’m not that familiar with Elvis Costello, the only one that comes to mind is Alison. I’d be interested in what songs my percussion is similar to if you happen to know.

I realize that Australia currently has subs; I believe 6 Collins-class diesel electrics. And I read that soon you’ll have 8 or so nuclear powered under the AUKUS partnership. These should be a real game changer. We certainly don’t want our brothers and sisters from the land of roo to be speaking Chinese anytime soon smile

The countries I listed in the original post pertained to WW2.

Also, I don’t understand what “bought on the never never” means in your reply.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Hi Steve,

A lot of creativity and imagination went into this piece. Loved the sound effects.

A good listen through the 'phones, enjoyed!
Hey Dave, I appreciate your feedback.
Glad you enjoyed this.
--Steve

BiaB 2024 Windows
DC Ron #819733 08/15/24 12:47 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Originally Posted by Bass Thumper
...Hopefully DC Ron can tell us if it aligns with his knowledge since he interacted with the sub community.

Cool video. A little dated but the basic structure of submarine life aligns with my understanding. From my visits on non-deployed submarines, the aspect of the scarcity of work and living space is the part that's perhaps hardest to convey. If you need personal space, this ain't the life for you...

...A fact that the general public may not know is that (in the US) every major military contract has a HIGHLY qualified military officer in the programs office to oversee the project. Often these have a rank of Major General and have a Masters or PhD in the relevant technical domain; physics, software, aerodynamics, engineering, etc. I learned this years ago while working on satellite systems...

Spent close to 30 years working for the Navy as a civil servant, and worked quite a bit with the Program Executive Officer (PEO) community, including PEO Subs. It's a fascinating and somewhat imperfect acquisition model, but it still produces the world's most powerful defense force. So that's something...
Hey DC, it's nice to hear the video basically aligns with your knowledge. Even though it's dated, I found it educational.

Today my latest read arrive on my doorstep Nimitz at War

I've got several questions regarding the Pacific theater I'm hoping this book will answer.
For starters, who was responsible for the long range patrols off of Pearl Harbor and why were we so vulnerable?

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
...I've got several questions regarding the Pacific theater I'm hoping this book will answer.
For starters, who was responsible for the long range patrols off of Pearl Harbor and why were we so vulnerable?

Well, that was before my time for sure. Got to know the Naval History and Heritage Command folks a bit back in my time, and I always enjoy reading their research. Possible Navy biases for sure, but interesting reading here.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A coolly creative composition. I admire your attention to detail and how you add the bits and pieces to paint your aural picture. Fantastic! If you hadn't provided a description or that title, I would still know the subject.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Enjoyed it.
The somewhat Eastern/exotic melody mid way was a change up.
The percussion, before the kit came in, reminded me of the late 80s when Elvis Costello use similar sounds in his side projects as The Imposter.
Australia has subs too...not quite as problematic as the ones we've now bought on the never never.
Hey Ray, thanks for the listen and feedback. I’m not that familiar with Elvis Costello, the only one that comes to mind is Alison. I’d be interested in what songs my percussion is similar to if you happen to know.

I realize that Australia currently has subs; I believe 6 Collins-class diesel electrics. And I read that soon you’ll have 8 or so nuclear powered under the AUKUS partnership. These should be a real game changer. We certainly don’t want our brothers and sisters from the land of roo to be speaking Chinese anytime soon smile

The countries I listed in the original post pertained to WW2.

Also, I don’t understand what “bought on the never never” means in your reply.
Pills & Soap would be the EC song to check.

Subs...yes old Collins class but they still work.
New subs - not for 20 to 40 years according to the contracts so the US & UK are getting quite a bit of money up front, and the US is trying to negotiate a nuclear waste dump here as an add on. I can tell you, quite honestly, that the policy, the purchases, the waste dump and the AUS$368 BILLION price tag are very unpopular down under. The previous govt. did the deal, spent 60 billion getting out of deal with the French, (we received nothing because of it). The biggest hurdle is that each sate & territory has a no nuclear power/waste policy, aside for the small Lucas Heights medical facility south west of Sydney, that means that legislation to enable to purchase and use to come into effect will be needed to be passed indep. by each state & the federal govt...no mean feat. The current govt. are very unhappy to be tied to the deal by the previous mob, (they did the deal as they were leaving govt.), but have no option unless they want to add the the billions spent buying out contracts.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
jannesan #819834 08/16/24 04:27 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by jannesan
When I read the title, I was immediately expecting cool effects and I was happy to get them. And the bass melody, that was nice surprise smile The drums and the synths remind me of certain Brit new wave artists in the early 80's.

Quite unique mood, enjoyed the use of the effects and instruments and how they kept telling the story. Nice visit to the past and deep down, I felt the claustrophobia and fear in the low notes and excitement in the upper notes (reminded me also of a computer game Silent Service).

Janne
Hey Janne, I always enjoy your thoughtful reviews.

I don't know if you have experienced this but sometimes I reach a point in some of the songs I produce where they seem to take on a life of their own and I'm a sort of bystanding observer. That's what happened here. And what's also funny is that Ray mentioned Elvis Costello and you mention Brit new wave and neither of them I listen to. Subconsciously I may have been influenced by them or by happenstance my mashup of sounds just aligned with them by chance. Either way it's fun to think about even though I'll probably never have the true answer. This I do know. Not every element of every song of mine is carefully and methodically designed. "Happy accidents" happen all the time. smile

Many thanks for the listen.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Bass Thumper:

Excellent work once again! Your compositions and productions are always engaging . . . no exception here. I will agree with B.D about those first two minutes, but it looks like you'll give that look. Great use of effects throughout. Really well done!

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We spent some time years ago exploring the interior of a WWII US submarine.
The confines were overwhelmingly tight -- narrow passages and stooping through door ways.
Brave folks indeed.

Creative idea, creative performance, creative arrangement and an excellent mix.

J&B

You can listen to our catalog on Apple Music or Spotify by searching on Janice Merritt
Our Videos are here on our website
DC Ron #819984 08/17/24 06:52 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Well, that was before my time for sure. Got to know the Naval History and Heritage Command folks a bit back in my time, and I always enjoy reading their research. Possible Navy biases for sure, but interesting reading here.
Thanks for the website, I've bookmarked it and will definately explore it.

I'm into chapter 2 of the Nimitz At War book and man is it good. The author was a professor in the History Dept. of the U.S. Naval Academy and brings you into the world of the 1920s -1940s. I'm being introduced in new ways to the military leaders of the time such as Admiral E.J. King, General MacArthur, Admiral "Bull" Halsey, General George Patton, General George Marshall, Dwight Eisenhower, Admiral Harold Stark, Admiral Husband Kimmel and many others.

Interestingliy enough, Nimitz was into classical music. He had a private collection on the old, brittle, shellac discs.

This is definately a good read so far, maps, photos, war records, etc.

BiaB 2024 Windows
User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Thanks for the website, I've bookmarked it and will definately explore it...

Sounds like quite a reading adventure. The link provides a Navy version of who was responsible for the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor. Spoiler alert: It was the Army (naturally)...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi, Steve.

Your song played right after Scott's "A Sound of Thunder", so for a moment I thought he had an FX tag at the end of his song. laugh

Nice instrumental! Creative and fun to listen to.

I saw your response to Ray. Elvis Costello has some pretty amazing songs, and although the feel is different, "Shipbuilding" seems Costello's obvious nautical-related song. No submarine effects on it, but it's go Chet Baker on trumpet, so well worth the listen.

For submarine-themed songs with submarine inspired sounds, there's always Thomas Dolby's "One Of Our Submarines" and Al Stewart's "Life In Dark Water". So you're in good company here! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
A coolly creative composition. I admire your attention to detail and how you add the bits and pieces to paint your aural picture. Fantastic! If you hadn't provided a description or that title, I would still know the subject.
Thanks so much Storm,
I always appreciate your reviews and we owe so much to that generation.
Glad you enjoyed it.

BiaB 2024 Windows
rayc #820022 08/17/24 01:29 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pills & Soap would be the EC song to check
I never heard this song before thanks for sharing. And yep, I can hear similarites in the percussion.

Subs...yes old Collins class but they still work.
New subs - not for 20 to 40 years according to the contracts so the US & UK are getting quite a bit of money up front, and the US is trying to negotiate a nuclear waste dump here as an add on. I can tell you, quite honestly, that the policy, the purchases, the waste dump and the AUS$368 BILLION price tag are very unpopular down under. The previous govt. did the deal, spent 60 billion getting out of deal with the French, (we received nothing because of it). The biggest hurdle is that each sate & territory has a no nuclear power/waste policy, aside for the small Lucas Heights medical facility south west of Sydney, that means that legislation to enable to purchase and use to come into effect will be needed to be passed indep. by each state & the federal govt...no mean feat. The current govt. are very unhappy to be tied to the deal by the previous mob, (they did the deal as they were leaving govt.), but have no option unless they want to add the the billions spent buying out contracts.

20 to 40 years???!!!
WWIII may be in the rearview by that time. I understand that 2027 is the planned acquisition date.
AUKUS

I have little calibration of the money involved (except that it will be big) for these subs. But imho, I'd like to see Austrailia and other allies grow this and other design/manufacturing capability. Doing so could result in better, smarter designs for all of us.

I wonder what opinion the Chief of the Defence Force (Admiral Johnston?) has. Anyone who reaches such levels is mighty smart.

Regarding Austrailian politics, I'm WAY out of my league. In my own country we have our own problems and are on the brink of flipping from a democracy to an autocracy.

As for the waste sites, I'm not sure if that will involve only the waste from the subs you'll operate or the waste from the larger international fleet. In any case, to the physicists and engineers of the allied nations I say:

"Come on guys, sharpen your pencils and develop compact fusion energy sources . . . you can do it!"

BiaB 2024 Windows
Deej56 #820150 08/18/24 12:05 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Deej56
Bass Thumper:

Excellent work once again! Your compositions and productions are always engaging . . . no exception here. I will agree with B.D about those first two minutes, but it looks like you'll give that look. Great use of effects throughout. Really well done!
Hey Deej, I appreciate your feedback and the area for improvement is duly noted.
--Steve

BiaB 2024 Windows
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,960
Posts751,603
Members38,953
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Flavio Ibelli, soul57, Vince44, iTsens, Brankee
38,952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 121