SUGGESTIONS>>>ENHANCING TIMECODE FEATURES IN RB.

1. background.

ive been looking at ways different daws can work in
'sync' with each other via timecode.
its a very hairy complex issue, to say the least.
from what i understand rb has an advantage over some other daws it would seem as it can be a sender or receiver of timecode.
typically timecode features in daws in the past were implemented to 'talk to' external hardware devices like drum machines etc etc.

however today many people includeing myself would like easy ways to 'sync in the pc' two daws. as i said its a complex issue.

lets take an example why someone might want to do this.
maybe in years past before coming to pg rb someone had done lots of song projects in another daw and might want to enhance/augment the song with new pg session musician content from pg.

maybe they have a large library of songs done over the years they wish
to use pg content on.
maybe songs done in big studios useing various daws.

2. suggestion.

currently timecode settings in rb are split tween the main top menu and preferences.ie some settings are covert rather than overt.

thinking about it might i suggest the following ?...

1..a new timecode settings dialog accessed via a overt icon...
or function key ?
2..in the dialog would be all the current timecode features and settings with the addition of the following..
..send timecode option checkmark and send timecode port.
..receive timecode option checkmark and receiving timecode port.
3..maybe some sort of virtual cable built into rb ?
if possible ? the idea being to identify to rb the other daw to sync with ?
i dont know if this is possible in windows via some inter process low level win api or other means. i seem to remember in the past this can be done in win at the coding level ?

in summary how sync would be achieved tween rb and another daw would be in the other daw the SAME send or receive ports would be identified. essentially as an example a road is being established as for example between two different cities or towns. i'm sure many musos would be very gratefull re simplification of syncing between different daws.

as i said...in conclusion...and one can see via google or you tube currently its very complex for a user re syncing two daws.(forgetting rb for the moment.)...
and from what ive seen requires quite a few steps.
so before someone jumps all over me...do your own independent research.

just a suggestion....i hope i make some sense.

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/21/24 02:04 PM.

my songs....mixed for good earbuds...(fyi..my vocs on all songs..)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs
(90 songs created useing bb/rb.)