Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks to everyone who commented on my previous thread, which contained three versions of this song. I thought I'd start a new thread for the fourth and definitely FINAL version - just so as not to encumber people with all the other, work-in-progress versions smile . Anyway, here is the final version of the song - thanks so much for all of your patience, whilst I worked on it. I've left it a couple of days, just to make sure I still like it after the initial "excitement time period", before posting it on here, so ... smile

I've basically kept the jazz piano from the previous version, as well as the drums with brushes, but added a whole new bass, guitar and an extra set of drums. The additions are in 12/8, swing 8 time, working nicely (I hope!) with the 4/4 melody.

I think (believe) that the whole thing has found its way, now, but see what you think of the final version? All comments gladly and gratefully received!

Worth Fighting For (4th and FINAL version)

EDIT (argh!!!!): thanks to Deej, David Cuny and Al-David, I've felt the need to do a FIFTH version. I've fixed the two "but"s, I've hopefully fixed the major problem the arrangement had, i.e. the busy piano ... I couldn't fix the "worth", but there we are. If I haven't bored everyone to absolute tears by now, with this blooming (haha) song ... see if the problems are indeed as solved as I think them to be? If not, I think I'll take a month off, as per Deej's advice, before revisiting it!!! Only kidding, of course, I'm ever so grateful for ALL of your wonderful advice!!! I just hope I'm not boring the forum stiff with yet another version, but ... it did need doing smile THANKS for your incredible patience!

Worth Fighting For (5th!!! version)

THE LYRICS:

I know
That you want to go away
"There's no point", you think
If you stay ...

I know
That it is your stance
Not to give us, both,
That one more chance

And yet, if you go, right now
You'll never know what could have been
So, please, before you close that door
Remember: we're worth fighting for.

We're worth fighting for.

I know
That you think we're scarred
By our history, and yes,
It's hard

To drop
All our pride, you see,
Give us one more chance
At victory

And yet, if you do go, right now,
We might as well have never been,

So, please, before you do decide
To close this one last door
Remember, baby, we're but human
But our love's worth fighting for.

WE are worth fighting for.

THE BAND:

Soloist: Eleanor Forte (of Synth V Studio Pro)
Flute Soloist: Mixcraft Pro Studio 10

RealTracks in style: 4223:Bass, Electric, Soul60sSlow128AB Sw 060
RealTracks in style: ~4479:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist JazzBalladRH Sw 060
RealDrums in style:JazzBrushes#1: a: Brushes b: Brushes 2 and 4
RealTracks in style: 4232:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Soul60sSlow128 Sw 060
RealDrums in style:Soul60sSlow128^1-a:Hat & Snare , b:Ride & Snare

Last edited by musician17; 08/18/24 03:05 PM. Reason: fifth version added
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, James.

Nice! smile

I missed the prior versions, so I'm sure I'll be covering old ground.

Eleanor "swings" nicely here with those triplets, and that's fun to listen to.

The changing of the rhythm at 2:22? Not expected at all, and very cool! laugh

Did you really intend to put two "buts" so close together? Hrm... That didn't come out the way I intended it to. wink

Remember, baby, we're but human
   But our love's worth fighting for.

Perhaps:

Remember, baby, we're only human
   And our love's worth fighting for.

I think we're only human is a much more common phrase, and comes off as less formal.

The lyric We're worth fighting for sounds to my like We were fighting for. It was only after I checked the lyrics that I saw what it was supposed to be, but I'm still not hearing it.

When I first heard that long note on the flute solo, I wondered if there were a stuck note or something. 18 seconds it way too long to ask a flutist to play a phrase without some sort of catch breath.

But those are just my standard nits. Again, nice work!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
James,

I like the more prominent guitar in the intro . . . and throughout. I've given you this comment before . . . there are sometimes when that piano is just perfect. And other times, it seems like that piano player wants to be the star. I empathize with the challenge of finding a perfect piano track in BIAB. But that's really a nit, and a personal preference , , , so don't change it just on my account. Don't think that long flute note was in the prior versions, but David C is spot on.

I know this is the "final" version . . . but take a few weeks or month or two away from it, and revisit. It's a special song.

Deej

User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
James, missed V3, but still a stellar song. Agree with previous comments, especially Deej's recommendation to revisit. Think you're moving this song in the right direction, but there's an opportunity for more. For me, the piano isn't always in sync with the vocalist, but could be with some work. A recent posting on the forum (can't recall who!) combined a piano RT with the same RT held chords, which produced a cool effect and worked brilliantly. That might be something to think about. Anyway, back to the beginning...LOVE your song!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi James
The song is really good
Great melody and good vocals too
I especially like the melody change at 2:02 - Excellent !
As has already been mentioned, the flute solo might be worth reworking.
But either way, the song is really well done
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James, you said "I've basically kept the jazz piano from the previous version, as well as the drums with brushes, but added a whole new bass, guitar and an extra set of drums. The additions are in 12/8, swing 8 time, working nicely (I hope!) with the 4/4 melody."
Well those changes made a huge difference - brilliant
Yes, I agree that this masterpiece is finished.
Brilliant work on this one James.

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David Cuny:

It's so, so good to have a detailed analysis of anything I write. Thank you so much for taking the time to cast a "proper critical eye" on this! smile

I absolutely agree with almost all of your points. The "but" repetition just went past me, when I wrote the lyrics - i.e. I just didn't notice. That's why it's good to have someone like you give feedback!

The "we're worth fighting for", I actually meant to ask you about. Is there a way, in the Synth V Studio Pro programme, to enter phonetics instead of normal English writing? I ask because there's always SOMETHING, some word that gets mangled when I write lyrics, and it would be (at times only, but nevertheless) great to be able to just enter the phonetics of the word I want sung. Any help in this direction would be immensely appreciated!

The flute solo ... I wrote it with slight but nevertheless clear interruptions on the note, to give the flute player a chance to catch his breath. If that doesn't come through in the recording, that's my fault - maybe the interruptions need to be bigger, lengthier in time. But that was the original intention (though perhaps badly executed smile ). Either way, yes; it should NOT be an uninterrupted note in the flute smile

It's SO nice of you, and so good for me, to have you "nit" at it. Please, please, whatever I do post on here: carry on smile THANKS smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi James,

I didn't hear any of the previous versions. So, if anything I say is redundant, please forgive me.

I really like this song. I think your selection of tracks is excellent. the only thing I would have done slightly differently is to make the pianist less intrusive on the vocal. if the track weren't so busy, I don't think it would matter much. But considering that it is, it seems to almost want to compete with the vocalist.

And speaking of the vocalist, you did such an excellent job with that. She has just enough nuances to get her so close to a human quality voice. You have become very good with the synth voices.

The song itself is simply gorgeous. The arrangement and lyric are exceptional.

Hope all is well in your world. We're getting by here in Northern Alabama - each day as it comes.

Best to you,

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You landed in a good place, James.
A very good mix.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by musician17
The "we're worth fighting for", I actually meant to ask you about. Is there a way, in the Synth V Studio Pro programme, to enter phonetics instead of normal English writing? I ask because there's always SOMETHING, some word that gets mangled when I write lyrics, and it would be (at times only, but nevertheless) great to be able to just enter the phonetics of the word I want sung. Any help in this direction would be immensely appreciated!
Yes, you enter phonetics in a number of ways.

Note that the English text is written inside the rectangular "note" on the piano roll, and the phonetic version is written above the note.

You can double-click on the phonetic text above the note, and write directly into that, which is what most people do.

Another option is to enter it where the English text go, but prefix it with a period. For example, ordinarily you'd write the word "hello" into two notes like this:

hh ax      l ow
[hello]    [+ ]

Note the ax is a relaxed vowel, a "schwa". If you wanted more of an "eh" sound, you could click into phonemes of the first syllable and enter the phonemes:

hh eh      l ow
[hello]    [+ ]

Or you could prefix the English part with a period as the first character, which tells SynthesizerV that that letters are the phonetic spelling:

hh eh            l ow
[.hh eh l ow]    [+ ]

Or manually break it across the syllables instead of using the +:

hh eh       l ow
[.hh eh]    [.l ow]

Because typing into the phoneme section overrides what's in the text, it can occasionally introduce errors if you decide to use a different word. That's because even if you put in a new word, the phonemes will still override it. So it's safer to type into the English section with the . notation.

Either way, you'll need to separate the phonemes with spaces. If SynthesizerV doesn't recognize a phoneme, it won't give an error, it'll just ignore it.

SynthesizerV uses the ARPAbet for English phonemes, so if you need help figuring out a word, you can use the CMU online dictionary:

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/cmudict

You can find additional information in the online user manual:

https://svdocs.dreamtonics.com/en/synthv

Feel free to message me with any questions! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
First of all, David Cuny: can't thank you enough for your WONDERFUL advice for the phonetics. SO clear and comprehensive. THANK YOU.

I've tried to fix the flaws mentioned by yourself (David Cuny) and by Deej and Alan. Result? A FIFTH version. ARGH!!! smile I do hope I've fixed most of the flaws mentioned, including the two "but"s, and the busy piano. The way I fixed the piano was just to remove it altogether when the voice solo sang - in the first part of the song, that is - where I've left it to play briefly in between voice phrases. I left the full piano in, the second time around. I left the flute "as is", because it's not one long note, but three notes of the same pitch - in between, I hope the flautist can take a quick breath? Hmm. Hopefully it all works better now, though?

I'm ever so sorry if I've bored the forum stiff with so many versions of this song, but ... had to fix what needed fixing. Here's the fifth (!) version - thanks for all of your incredible patience, and yes, all feedback welcome smile

https://whyp.it/tracks/199056/worth-fighting-for-18-august-2024

Last edited by musician17; 08/18/24 03:18 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James as a fellow "Synth voice user" I can feel your pain...but I think you've done a marvelous job with Eleanor...sometimes those kids can be so stubborn!...it's a lot of work but I think the end result is worth it...very nice presentation on a nice easy feel, soft jazz number...great job!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi James,

I've listen to both the 4th and 5th iteration of your song.

Lovely melody
Lovely vocals

Suggestions:
1. Piano - the fills should be between the vocal lines not over the top of the vocalist. So you may need another piano part for the Rhythm Piano when vocalist is singing - plenty of excellent ones of BIAB to choose from.
2. The instrumental section soloists should be at the same volume as the vocals - much much louder - otherwise the song can fade away.
3. Vocals - need a cut in the mid to low frequencies - they are boomy and not crisp.

These are not meant to criticisms - I only make these suggestions because I like the song.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You got me stoked.... Now I'm waiting for the final 6th version

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I've only listened to the 5th version, but I think it's a pretty good song with nice melodies and well executed.
The only thing I didn't like is this 30-second one-note flute solo at the end, it sounds very unnatural.
But other than that I'm impressed, you're on a good path.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nicely done...the synth voice does carry the song well.
Nice band, My only concerns are that the vocal is a little too loud for the band and, on occasion, the piano fills seem slightly dissonant.
Excellent writing & mixing.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We are late to the party so we've at this pointed only listened to V5.

No need to parse it out as you've received a LOT of helpful comments from fellow synth users and others.
The whole synth thing is, production wise, well beyond our comprehension.
It must take tremendous planning and focus to put it all together.

A glance at the wave form before listening told us that it would be an airy mix with a lot of dynamics.
And it was and in our book that is excellent.

We enjoyed the listen and we are always down with a slow swing!

J&B

PS Regarding the piano player ... way, way, way back when Bud was learning to play acoustic guitar runs an excellent renown player told him, "It took me a year to learn my runs and 5 years to learn when not to play them." smile smile

You can listen to our catalog on Apple Music or Spotify by searching on Janice Merritt
Our Videos are here on our website
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Deej, Ron, Andi, Mario, Alan, Floyd, Dan, Nigel, Herb, B.D. Thomas, Ray, Janice and Bud,

Wow, wow, wow. Where to start?

Thank you so much for ALL your wonderfully kind feedback! I've taken your various suggestions on board ... as Deej says, better leave it for now, and see how I feel in one month or so smile The song does need a LITTLE more work, but a rest will do my mind the world of good ... so this is it, at least for now smile

Mario: thanks so much for your especially kind words!

Janice and Bud: I'm amazed, thank you. Way too kind, but immensely appreciated. Encouragement of the kind you provide so generously goes a long way with any writer, and I'm no exception. THANK YOU ever so much! And yes, the guitar comment is spot on, and made me smile smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, you're a real gas, James --a laughing gas. hehe My favorite part is "4th and final version" quickly followed by the "EDIT: arg!!!" Haha. This whole thread is a wonderful tribute to you and the folks on this forum who willing help others succeed in crafting their music. This final version (well, let's just call it the 5th version) is absolutely wonderful, James (and company). The best part of the whole process was you silencing the ego and servicing the song. What a great result.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Marty: thank you! That's really great and really kind feedback! As you say, everyone here is ever so kind with one another, and helps one another to (exactly as you say) service the music, rather than our own egos. A breath of fresh air when one considers the usual music industry way, which is exactly the opposite, many times. It's a joy to post on this forum, not only because, when I post a song, I do know that I'm going to get honest and helpful advice on how to improve it. And you are all, without exception, cool people, too smile The software itself is superb, also ... smile . What more can one want? A little "miracle corner" of the Internet. Long may it continue. Thanks again, Marty, you always know exactly what to say smile .

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,779
Posts749,189
Members38,879
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
thanh tran, Rick0965, Jason Woodland, Dwayno7, Jeff Langr
38,878 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 143