Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
With discontinuation of TTS-1 there only a handful of good & flexible choices left for GM playback that are still available to purchase.

Looks like final call to get Sound Canvas before it discontinues on Sept 1
https://www.rolandcloud.com/home/news/final-notice-sound-canvas-va-is-being-discontinue

Still a few days to get lifetime license here:
JRR Shop for $69, or $62 with code GROUP.
https://www.jrrshop.com/roland-sound-canvas-va-plugin-lifetime-key

Keep in mind that it is a VST2.4 instrument.

S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
Are there many here on the forum using Sound Canvas?
I am wondering if I should by it or not.

T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
I bought it about a month or so ago and was disappointed. Doesn't sound all that great. Plus I received a notice that there'll be no future updates or support.

Veteran
Veteran
I believe that the TTS-1 / Sound Canvas is based on a product developed in 1991. No doubt that is was excellent at the time, but may not be quite so 'up there' nowadays.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
Are TTS-1 and Roland Sound Canvas the same? I already have TTS-1.

Veteran
Veteran
I think they use the same sounds.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
Thanks,
I think I leave this one.

Expert
Expert
Sound Canvas VA is my default synth but I seldom use it. To my ears the sounds are not identical to those on the TTS-1. The programmability of the sounds is certainly MUCH greater on the Sound Canvas VA. Here is a separate post on the subject of TTS-1 vs Sound Canvas VA.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Overall it's a better GM synth than TTS-1 ....However it is a relic no matter how you view it.
I personally use Halion Sonic 6. Recent release has issue with Program changes.
VSTsynthfont, which you have to setup your GM bank manually, but is very capable. Roland is one of the last ones still available that plays GM "out of the box"... for 3 more days.

I am not promoting anything, just callout to those who wanted it at some point...

W
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
W
I own the Hardware and still use it sometimes. And I took the Software now just to make it easier to work with midi. Sometimes the sound is ok, sometimes it needs better things (in my Case Halion 7). But for a first view Sound Canvas is easier to use and quicker (to start not when playing). Is it worth the price? That depends on your financial situation....

BIAB 2024 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 13, Ethno , SC8850, MU80, QUASAR, Win 10 (64), U-PHORIA UMC 1820, Halion 7, Wavelab 12 Elements, Dorico 5 Elements,
Product Manager
Product Manager
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Sound Canvas VA is my default synth but I seldom use it. To my ears the sounds are not identical to those on the TTS-1.
I can't comment on the VA, but TTS-1 vs a real Sound Canvas also sounds quite different. The programming of the samples is key - for example, I have this:

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Reportedly, the sounds in this were created by recording the output of an actual Sound Canvas, and indeed side-by-side some of the sounds are very close, but many sounds are way off.

I work here
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
I just bought it just to have it.

Veteran
Veteran
If I remember correctly, in Peter Gannon's 'no brainer' post he mentioned that the TTS1 was the midi source PG used when creating midi styles. Maybe Simon can tell us what they intend to use now?

T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
From what I've seen, Cakewalk is available again... and my TTS-1 still works fine.
Maybe it's just for existing users. But I've installed it from scratch on my new laptop.

Of course, they are pushing the new paid versions...
Cakewalk Sonar and Cakewalk Next,
which are available by paid subscription to BandLab,

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
At this time both products TTS-1 and Sound Canvas VA are history.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/topic/74606-end-of-life-for-tts-1/
If you have older Cakewalk/Sonar installer, John Vere explains how to preserve TTS1.

Roland Sound Canvas is a much better, more flexible GM synth in my view than TTS1.
TTS1 was not updated in about 15 years.

There are not many choices left that you can officially purchase at this time that support GM/program changes and are flexible. Halion Sonic 3 was the last "all in one" professional solution. New Sonic that came out last year has issues with GM / program change playback.

VSTSynthFont that was included at some point with BIAB likely the last man standing.

Product Manager
Product Manager
Originally Posted by Bob Calver
If I remember correctly, in Peter Gannon's 'no brainer' post he mentioned that the TTS1 was the midi source PG used when creating midi styles. Maybe Simon can tell us what they intend to use now?
There's been no discussion of this so far, so most likely we'll continue to use the TTS-1 and CoyoteWT.

I work here
Expert
Expert
FWIW, we're passed the end-of-life date and Sound Canvas VA still works fine for me, though it is no longer listed in my (PITA) Roland Cloud Manager. So the "lifetime license" appears to work.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Veteran
Veteran
September 1 was end of life for the Sound Canvas VA. As you mentioned Roland no longer offers it but if you already have it, you're good to go.
Unfortunately it also means if a future operating system update breaks it, Roland will not offer a patch to fix it because they no longer support the product.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1113) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Jim,
out of curiosity, did any piece of musical software broke on you beyond repair in the past 15 years? I am strictly talking about Windows and software released in the past 15 years. It seems Marcos is different.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi RustySpoon#,

Broke? No. But I have some musical software that works on my 32 bit XP system that does not work on my Windows 10 laptop or Windows 11 desktop.

In most cases software quits working because it depends on a supporting application like Adobe Flash that operating systems no longer support.

I have a Yamaha keyboard with a USB interface that has a midi driver that worked on my XP system the last time I powered up the system, worked on my Windows 7 laptop but quit working when I updated the laptop operating system to Windows 10.

Multiple forum members have posted about music equipment having orphan audio or midi drivers. That's why some people maintain a computer with an older operating system.

My point is once a software or hardware product reaches end-of-life, things the software relies on to work may not exist in a future operating system.

Good question. It seems to take a long time for stuff to quit working after end-of-life is reached.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1113) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,758
Posts748,870
Members38,873
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
burny7777, Sarah, annaclara58427, ELDebansky, Chief O’ Stuff
38,873 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 160