Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I would like to edit rhythms and the feel on individual tracks. I think this would add a layer of complexity that most users would not appreciate.

Since I can export the tracks and put them in a DAW easily, this is not very important to me.

BIAB 2024 Audiophile, 24Core/60CoreGPU Core M2 MacStudioUltra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer11, LogicPro
Finale27/Dorico/Encore/SmartScorePro64/Notion/Overture
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
"But remember, the only reason for a business to be in business is to make money."
Well, only partially true. Sure, it has to be profitable, but you have to love, or at least like what you do. <...snip...>

That's me, I love making music. If I didn't need the money, I'd do it for free.

So I figured out how to make a business of what I love to do. But the reason I made it a business is to make money. And when I make a decision of what song to learn, what style to write, and quite a few other things, the will it be profitable factor comes in.

That makes me lucky. There are people who don't love what they do to earn a living.

Peter Gannon has done the very same thing. And IMO, does it quite well. I've enjoyed BiaB since it was a pre-Windows DOS based app, and still love it.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Notes Norton
So I figured out how to make a business of what I love to do.
I've always been slightly worried by that concept, because I've always worried that making a business from what I love may destroy my love for it.

It works for some, though, and you're obviously one of those.

I was lucky in a way. I learned to love engineering when I was doing it, so I never had the worry of maybe 'spoiling' that love.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11
BIAB2024 Audiophile, a bunch of other software.
Kawai MP6, Ui24R, Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and Scarletts
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
I would like to edit rhythms and the feel on individual tracks. I think this would add a layer of complexity that most users would not appreciate.

Now that belongs in the Wishlist as a separate post. It would be a major step forward.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Matt Finley

Now that belongs in the Wishlist as a separate post. It would be a major step forward.

Yes, I like it too.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
Originally Posted by Notes Norton
So I figured out how to make a business of what I love to do.
I've always been slightly worried by that concept, because I've always worried that making a business from what I love may destroy my love for it.<…snip…>
I've known people who lost their love for what was their passion, making music, and it's sad.

It becomes a job, and as a job, it has its disadvantages. It's unstable, no sick leave or paid holidays, no health insurance, no overtime pay, and you have to pay 15% self-employment tax in addition to your income tax.

I almost made the big time once, but the record company wanted to exploit us. The band broke up, I got a day-job with bennies, and found out I wasn't happy being normal — back to music for me.

Money? It's not dependable, but I made enough to make ends meet and pay off the mortgage. I don't have luxury items, but don't have a desire for them.

Plus I have to schlep my own gear. But I get to lift heavy things without paying for a gym membership.

But when I'm up there, performing for an appreciative audience, I get into that zone where there is no space, no time, no words, no me, and nothing but the music which seems like it's flowing through me instead of from me and the energy from the crowd returning. It's the most fun I can have with my clothes on.

One day, decades ago, I met a beautiful girl who was playing in another band. She is a great singer and she also plays guitar and synth. Both our bands broke up, and we found ourselves in the same fledgling band.

I eventually married her, and now, we are in a self-sufficient duo. Since I play drums, bass, guitar, keys, flute, guitar and sax, I make our backing tracks.

When we get on stage, we share the bliss of performing, and it's the most fun we can have with our clothes on.

I'm not rich in money, but rich in experiences, and I feel like I'm living a charmed life.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Plus I have to schlep my own gear. But I get to lift heavy things without paying for a gym membership"
.................................................................................................................

Be careful Notes, sooner or later that may just catch up on you, and believe you me, having a fractured compressed vertebrae is no joke, when you are squealing with sudden pain in the middle of the night.

So many people about with undiagnosed osteoporosis (I was one of them) you can live with it though by laying off the really heavy stuff.

I do believe that everyone over sixty should have a bone Dexa scan

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C

Since I can export the tracks and put them in a DAW easily, this is not very important to me.

Hi Mike. I agree with you regarding making tracks more complex arrangements is a great benefit. I'm wondering if your preference to export tracks to a DAW for this rather than generate them in BIAB is due to not thinking this can be done in BIAB with generation but requires post- generated track editing?

I have recommended using BIAB's features and tools to edit/change rhythms and feel of tracks in the past because there's multiple ways to do this in BIAB and think it's more versatile and convenient than exported rendered tracks.

Can you share a bit of your workflow to edit rhythms and change the feel of individual rendered tracks in a DAW because I may not be understanding your statement correctly.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Can you share a bit of your workflow to edit rhythms and change the feel of individual rendered tracks in a DAW because I may not be understanding your statement correctly."

Perhaps a good idea to start a separate thread for this.... or a wishlist? Thanks....

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
"Can you share a bit of your workflow to edit rhythms and change the feel of individual rendered tracks in a DAW because I may not be understanding your statement correctly." >>

Perhaps a good idea to start a separate thread for this.... or a wishlist? Thanks....

It may not be necessary for a separate thread. I'm asking for clarification of a topic that's being discussed by multiple people in this tread, not a forum discussion.

It's on topic. I'm curious to know if Mike is discussing a new feature or upgrade. The poll has two questions.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ok Charlie. Be it. But nor you , nor Mike respected / casted votes - original intent of this POLL.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
No problem Misha. The poll is ongoing and who knows, Mike's clarification may send me over the top and I make my vote.

Off-Topic
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
I don't know how to answer this poll.

The one single most important improvement that are most useful to me is a function that let me find the styles, or RTs,RDs building up to styles that match the feel/groove of an existing song or that I hear in my head as well as a search from a "rhythm perspective" to find the underlaying groove/feel.
All other issues can rest from my point of view as long as I get this one.
There are many postings on this in the forum.

Yes there is the multipicker which is an improvement from erlier versions but it is by far way not enough.
See all the postings about users having major, major problems finding a suitable style with help from the title search in the multipicker.
I refer to the various postings in this forum for the details, and lately here
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=821506#Post821506

if this issue falls under 1 I vote 1.
if this issue falls under 2 I vote 2.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
shlind,
I believe it definitely falls under #2 (upgraded current features)

P.S. MTP Library was overall a very significant improvement, but the mechanism of searching/sorting part remained nearly same. My observation of a few topics on the subject... there are only 2-3 people that were displeased with it, citing very insignificant reasons that related to narrow workflow perks. I am strictly talking about Previous pickers VS MTP library. So yes, improving search / sorting would fall under "upgrade of current features".

Off-Topic
S
Journeyman
Journeyman
S
My vote is 2 then.

I find the new Multipicker very good and I use it a lot in my workflows and it is a significant improvement.
But I still find it insufficient when it comes to easily building up to a groove/feel that I have in my mind or if I want to use an existing song as a template to start out from when trying out to find the styles/RDs/RTs that makes a good match to the right groove, or If I want to do a cover.
I know exactly what I am looking for but to find the best matches in styles or in RTs and RDs that build up to that groove/feel I find very hard and time consuming.
The multipicker is excellent when it comes to reviewing the Styles, RTs and RDs but I still find it very hard and especially time consuming getting the right “Rhythm/Groove” results as I want.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
one of my many many dreams for bb this next xmas is daw like editing in new bb tracks view like i can do in reaper v2.
ie hilite/right click and a multi feature editing menu pops up.,
i like to edit while seeing all the other tracks....rather than an edit view where one sees only one track like the current situation with bb.

happiness.

om

my songs....mixed for good earbuds...(fyi..my vocs on all songs..)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs
(90 songs created useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by justanoldmuso
one of my many many dreams for bb this next xmas is daw like editing in new bb tracks view like i can do in reaper v2.
ie hilite/right click and a multi feature editing menu pops up.,
i like to edit while seeing all the other tracks....rather than an edit view where one sees only one track like the current situation with bb.

happiness.

om
Yes, I could see that being useful.

The great thing about this forum, and particularly this poll, is that everyone has, and is fully entitled to, his or her own definition of what is 'significant' as Misha put it.

This suggestion puts me firmly on both sides of the question! On one hand I want to stay in BIAB as long as I can to compose or arrange a song. On the other, I think that adding features to make BIAB work like the DAW you already have is a mistaken errand leading to less emphasis on fixing or improving existing functions. In my opinion, this suggestion is more a New feature (even if it is a natural evolution) and thus I still vote #2, to focus now on improving the existing ones. But I could be making the wrong assumption.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am not in favor of BiaB being more like a DAW. I would rather PGM concentrate on being a backing track generator.

However I think suggestions like this should be aimed at RealBand to have it incorporate more of BiaB's capabilities. Thus we would have the best of both worlds.

YMMV

Inflation is so bad that CEOs are now playing miniature golf!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Mario/All..

let me mention a few points/concerns based on my times in industry....

things can turn sour sometimes for a business that relies a lot on third parties or one source for income.
eg bb becomes just a server of content.
business studies exist from the past re this type of biz strategy.

i suggest a 2 prong strategy.

..one being...yes pursue the plugin/bb dumb waiter content server approach for those users that want that.
(the negative being pg has no control over what others do in their music apps that bb is interfaceing to....thus there may be maintenance headaches/costs at the coding level keeping up with releases from other third party apps....been there done that and bought the choc bar...lol....seen all the probs in industry.)

..second being...like many successfull tech companies take independent control of ones short and long term destiny.
by innovating with ones current product line to establish a leadership role in the market.
ie...make bb and rb so good that some people optionally will see the value of staying with them for all their creative work.
ie their work centre.
i would love that...because at the moment i have to 'flit' tween various apps and waste time.

mario/all...please understand i'm not trying to be a 'A' or idiot and have no desire to upset any user.
i just am concerned for pg if they put all their eggs in the proverbial interfaceing to other music apps basket....thats all.

in summary maintain the status quo of and develope further giving users both options.
(i agree with rb comment and best of both worlds....as well as maybe takeing a hiatus from many new features and fix some existing features.)

respect and happiness to all.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/31/24 02:28 PM.

my songs....mixed for good earbuds...(fyi..my vocs on all songs..)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs
(90 songs created useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I've voted before but, WTH, after 10 pages of posts I think I should get to vote again!

My vote is still def for #2!

I am sick of the 50-new-features marketing nonsense when only a few of the new features are even substantial enough to justify a paid upgrade! And more often than not some/most of those major new features are not even working properly/completely for several months after release. This practice of releasing unfinished features is much worse than no new features at all!

To be perfectly clear, if they release BIAB 2025 with a bunch of significant fixes and the standard 200+ new RealTracks I WILL buy the upgrade. If they exclude new RealTracks I would NOT buy the upgrade.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,758
Posts748,870
Members38,873
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
burny7777, Sarah, annaclara58427, ELDebansky, Chief O’ Stuff
38,873 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 160