Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#822538 09/10/24 11:51 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
OP Offline
Hi, to create my backing tracks I start with BIAB for Windows. I then export .wav files so I can open them in Cakewalk. When I play my bass tracks inside of BIAB, they sound fine, however when I export to my DAW (Cakewalk) they are usually WAY TOO LOW. I have added fx, compressors, etc., but that is not enough. They grumble and rumble. This usually leads me resorting to a MIDI track for bass, not real tracks. Can someone help? What am I doing wrong here? Thanks!

I am using Band-in-a-Box for Windows Version 2023 (1013) / 64 bit.

Thanks and regards,
-peter-

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Peter,

I do pretty much the same as you. Because the BIAB volumes are not always what I'd prefer, I always normalize the files when they are in my DAW (Reaper) and then I adjust volumes to suit. Normalizing means adjust the volume of a track so that the maximum peak is set to some preset value. In Cakewalk, "Nomalize" is found under "Process | Apply effect". If you select the track and then run Normalize set to 0dB (100%), you will see the waveform grow larger. The volume relationships from note-to-note remain the same, it's just that everything is raised. I usually normalize all my audio files to -3dB.

--Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 09/10/24 09:06 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
OP Offline
Thanks so much, Noel --- I know this is a BIAB forum, not Cakewalk but I would like to ask. I do see the option to add Process > Apply Effect > Normalize, but I was not sure which option you were suggesting? Can you help?

Thanks!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
normalize.png (14.67 KB, 122 downloads)
Product Manager
Product Manager
I can't answer the Cakewalk question, but you can normalize tracks when exporting from BIAB. This is done in the main BIAB app by going to the Audio menu then Export Song As Audio File - there are checkboxes to normalize the entire mix or individual tracks there. If you're using the BIAB plugin, go to Preferences then the Rendering tab - there's a checkbox for normalizing renders there.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Hi PetersJazz,

Simon's approach is a good one, too. If you want to do the normalizing in Cakewalk, then it's possible to either choose from the list or to type in a value in the box I've highlighted below. Keep in mind that the maximum value is 0 (positive number larger than 0 will start creating distortion in the sound). Any negative value is fine. I usually use -3.0. That's just a personal choice.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
OP Offline
Good information, thank you!

OP Offline
Perfect, thanks!

Product Manager
Product Manager
Happy to help!

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Some of the BB tracks are a little on the weak side.

You should always check the box to Normalize the files being exported. If they arrive in Cakewalk and are still wimpy, you can use the Normalize function there. If you do that, always have a solo listen to the entire track to be sure it's playing and sounding right without artifacts and other noisy garbage in there.

Another option is that you are able to change the Real Track in BB before you ever get to the export file stage. Click on the track in the mixer display and select real tracks and audition others...OR... simply mute it and use one of the 16 utility tracks to audition a better bass real track. I do this quite a bit to get a bass that sounds better, fatter, deeper, than the one that is default to the style.... Or simply has a different playing style.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Product Manager
Product Manager
Originally Posted by Guitarhacker
You should always check the box to Normalize the files being exported. If they arrive in Cakewalk and are still wimpy, you can use the Normalize function there.
I would avoid normalizing a track twice. When normalizing exports from BB, they're normalized to the "peak", meaning that the volume is increased so that the loudest peak of the track is at 0dbfs. If you normalize the track again using a "peak" reference, it would do nothing - however, if you normalize again using an "average" or "RMS" reference, there's the possibility of clipping or distorting the output. At best you'd end up with the exact same volume.

If the tracks exported from BB are still too quiet even when normalized, it's better to turn down the other tracks to compensate. I personally mix my songs so that the peaks are around -12dbfs, which allows for a good bit of headroom before the master limiter to prevent distortion.

If you really need to increase the volume of a track that's been normalized, and you can't turn other tracks down, use a compressor or limiter plugin on the track in question.

I work here
OP Offline
Great advice, thank you so much.

Product Manager
Product Manager
Originally Posted by PetersJazz
Great advice, thank you so much.
Anytime!

I work here
Expert
Expert
I don’t like to normalize. I find the behavior inconsistent especially between biab and different DAW’s.

I sometimes get BIAB tracks .wav files that are too low volume.
My DAW (Logic Pro) has a gain plug in I use in front of the signal chain.
I merely punch it up till it’s hitting the meters like any other track.
Then I forget about it
Seems to clean up the problem quite nicely without any clipping worries.

Your DAW may have such a thing…

Last edited by mrgeeze; 09/17/24 12:48 PM.

biab2024(Mac) Latest Build
Mac OS Sequoia 15.0.1
Apple M2 pro 32GB Ram
Logic Pro 11
Product Manager
Product Manager
Originally Posted by mrgeeze
I don’t like to normalize. I find the behavior inconsistent especially between biab and different DAW’s.
That's likely because some programs normalize using an average or RMS reference instead of a peak reference. Any DAW using a peak reference should end up with identical results to each other and to BB, given that it's simple addition, whereas using an average or RMS reference depends on how the average is calculated.

Originally Posted by mrgeeze
I sometimes get BIAB tracks .wav files that are too low volume.
My DAW (Logic Pro) has a gain plug in I use in front of the signal chain.
I merely punch it up till it’s hitting the meters like any other track.
Then I forget about it
Seems to clean up the problem quite nicely without any clipping worries.

Your DAW may have such a thing…
Logic's Gain plugin is a unique inclusion with DAWs, such that in all the ones I have I've only ever seen it in Logic. There are some freely available gain plugins though, such as the one included in the Kilohearts free plugins bundle (which is an excellent bundle btw).

Without downloading more plugins, adding gain can be done using some EQ plugins (some have a master level control), or a compressor/limiter set to a ratio of 1:1 with the output turned up. Of course, those might alter the sound slightly, but the difference might not be noticeable.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics83,016
Posts752,412
Members38,972
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
leolll, Brommy, JohnTheler, Elton John, sirhc1956
38,972 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158
DC Ron 100
rsdean 94
BYOBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.