Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RealBand
BYOBand Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi, I encountered some issues on my last project, one of which was selecting generate realtrack in Realband which gave me no instruments to add. I had to go back to BIAB and generate to a utility track, save as performance, and then import into Realband. My question is, should I be seeing the same menus in Realband? I checked the change directory (path) and those setting are correct and real track generation is allowed in preferences. Thanks!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If a track does not contain a Realtrack, you need to...

1) Make sure that you have a chord progression in the project (this happens automatically if you open an SGU/MGU file).

2) Right-click on the tracks area where the track's name is located.

3) From the pop-up menu, choose "Generate" and then "Select and generate".

'Select and generate' will open the list of Realtracks from which you can choose which one you want to put on the track.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

If the track already has a Realtrack loaded on it, what I do is...

1) Select the region of Realtrack that you want to generate (or press CTRL +A to select the entire Realtrack).

2) Right-click on the track itself.

3) From the pop-up menu select "Generate" (it's a different one from the one above) and the "Regenerate track (selected region)"

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Another trick is to use the right-click menu Noel describes and select Track - make all BB tracks regular tracks.
This has pros & cons depending on how you like to work, so experiment to see.

Once done the new SEQ file can't be opened in BiaB (you'll still have the original BiaB file if needed)
You gain some flexibility in workflows & and a more DAW like behavior (no regenerating all tracks all the time etc).

I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Make your sound your own!
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
One possible area of confusion is RealBand performs track generation different than Band-in-a-Box.

Band-in-a-Box will automatically regenerate when certain changes are made to a track or song project. RealBand will almost never generate unless the user specifically tells RealBand to generate.

Could it be that you are expecting RealBand generation to be the same as Band-in-a-Box?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1113) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
BYOBand Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for your reply, Noel. The pictures help me to explain my point. When the project is in BIAB, I have a bunch of instrument options when I ask it to "select and generate realtrack". But when the same project is in Realband, when I open "select and generate realtrack", I have a "none" and a "silence" option and nothing else. I hope that clarifies the issue.

RealBand
BYOBand Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for that tip, Rharv.

RealBand
BYOBand Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Jim,

It's more of a menu issue and the instruments not loading in it. I think I was able to clarify the question in my response to Noel.

Thanks!

RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
BYOBand.

fyi…i'm a biab and rrb user for many years.

i suggest you request a commonality of menus tween bb and rb in the wishlists as i'm weary of beating that particular drum…lol. so i dont bother anymore.

my argument being commonality would ease the learning cycle for music production folks new to pgmusic products.

sometime read my many rb tips posted in the pg tips forum.
you might find them useful.

for example heres a tip that uses the advantages of both bb and rb.
because rb has features you wont find in bb and vice versa.
now to the tip…

by way of background in commercial studios often there is the concept of bed tracks and icings on the proverbial song cake. so…

think of of using bb for 'fleshing out' the song arrangement 'quickly' experimenting with various song ideas….(no vocals)...ie the BED GUIDE TRACKS.
what i normally do at this stage is also test how well my vocs 'sit' viz trying various song keys. as one can change bb song key easily plus in bb tracks view, at least on my ryzen pc session muso rt's generate in a blink of an eye.
in summary i use bb to develop the song concept and final arrangement….THEN…

its over to rb using all its advantages. where i would do my final lead vocals as well as the songs (as in commercial studios) 'icings on the cake'.
for example rb can do many things bb cant.

(compare the manuals of both to save me typing pages and pages re feature differences.)

are you saying you have no rt's listed in rb ?
please go into further detail on your work method in rb.
by instruments do you mean genning pg content OR
loading vsti instruments in a rb track ??

hth/ymmv/happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/10/24 08:27 AM.

my songs....mixed for good earbuds...(fyi..my vocs on all songs..)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs
(90 songs created useing bb/rb.)
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If no RTs show up, double check that Options - Preferences points to the correct folder.
RB may have a slightly different description of the path (IE BB used the C\BB folder and RB used the C:\BB\Realtracks path), of course this could be E:\ or whatever ..
Or, as someone else said, maybe it is looking for another RT in that style (only).
I have not experienced this, but I usually use the 'Make all tracks regular tracks' feature.
You'll notice this changes those blue track names (BB tracks) to regular tracks (not blue) .. then I can do whatever I want to any track.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Further to rhav's comment, the image below is how I have my preferences set-up. (My realtrack/realdums are on a different drive from the BIAB program.)
The "Allow realtracks" and "Allow realdrums" options also needs to be active.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,
Is that BiaB?
'cause my RB Preferences look much different.
They are separate items.

Mine looks more like below, but like you my RTs and RDs are on a separate hard drive

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB_DriveConfig.jpg (67.03 KB, 99 downloads)

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi rhav.
it's definitely RB2024 that I took the images from.
I'm not sure why my checkboxes are blue (maybe a Windows theme).
We seem to be saying the same thing in a different way.
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
BYOBand Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi JustAnOldMuso,

I'm coming around to this approach as well...do as much in BIAB as possible and then bring it to RealBand for finishing touches. I'm only on my 5th song, and so I'm slowly refining how to work with things.

Regarding your follow-up questions, I'm about to read Noel's next post which I hope solves the issue, but FYI:
are you saying you have no rt's listed in rb ? That's right.
please go into further detail on your work method in rb. I'm still trying to iron that out, but I created in BIAB. Opened in RB but wanted to add some other real instruments.
by instruments do you mean genning pg content OR PG
loading vsti instruments in a rb track ??

RealBand
BYOBand Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi Noel.

Okay. I think we're narrowing in on the problem. I see all of that just as you pictured. My next question is wouldn't Realband be accessing the same BIAB folders where my files are stored. Or does/should Realband have its own? I'm obviously doing something wrong or don't understand how things work because the only things I get when I select a track and select generate real track in the menu are:

<None>
Silence ^^Rhythm^^Jazz^^Silent RealTrack realsax.ST2

If I want to use a utility track, is that only possible in BIAB?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Realband accesses all its files from where you have them stored for BIAB to access them. So the paths have to correspond to the same path as BIAB.

If your Realtracks are a sub-folder in your BIAB directory (this is the standard installation) then you would point Realband to the Realtracks folder below. "x:" is the drive that BIAB is on.

Realtracks folder for default installation... x:\bb\realtracks
Realdrums folder for default installation... x:\bb\drums
BIAB default installation... x:\bb

In relation to Utility tracks. Realband doesn't needs them because it has 256 tracks to work with. It was only a few years ago that 16 x Utility tracks were added to BIAB as a way of have more tracks to work with in BIAB.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RealBand
BYOBand Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
So all that said, I am left with the same issue. When selecting a track, then "select and generate a real track", my only options are None and Silence. Yet, my settings match those you pictured and the path is to the drive where my files are stored (same as BIAB). I'm starting to feel nuts.

RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
BYOBand.

my suggestions...

1. when i get the pg shipped drive i immediately back it up onto super fast m.2 storage. about 50 buks includeing enclosure.
(yes the pg shipped drive is fast. but i still use the fastest m.2 i can get to ensure the fastest generation of pg content i can get.
SO...here literally its blink of an eye genning in bb.)
i store the original pg shipped drive away and use the m.2 ive copied to
hooked up over fastest usb port i have to ensure fastest accesses.

2. i always do a minimal install of bb/rb when pg install asks me. reason being that now m.2 is so fast hooked up via fast usb to my pc.
QUESTION ???? at pg install which option did you pick ?
minimal ? or not ??

3. please do the following and report back.
a pic is worth a thousand words. in rb post back a pic of where your pg content ie rt/rd etc etc is installed. to.
NOW CHECK ITS THE SAME IN BB as noel suggested. so if the pg content in bb is installed on drive C or D or K or whatever.
check in rb in prefs the same drive letter as BB.
QUESTION ???? on pg install what drive was pg content installed on ?? C ? D ? another ? i ask cos ive seen some odd weird configs.
here rb has no probs picking up the drive.
IN SUMMARY ENSURE BB AND RB POINT TO THE SAME DRIVE THAT PG CONTENT RESIDES ON.

4. one thing ive meaning to do is post in wishlist a request to pg for a table showing the feature differences tween bb and rb. which i will now do. so please gimme a +1...its sorely needed imho.
as over the years this seems to trip up new people.
eg the midi editing in rb is very advanced and rb will do many other things bb wont.
(note ive just done my yearly sojourn demoing many different daws to compare them to rb. and i still get back to useing rb due to its many unique features...BUT NOTE...to get the best out of rb one MUST be willing to really understand rb's many in depth features. crickey some folks arent willing even willing to read the rb manual and then knock the product.
note in rb are very usefull 'tips of the day'.)
OTOH in bb there is the multipicker which rb doesnt have and there are other features in bb too that are usefull. i like the genning speed in bb tracks view
for example.
as i said i use the advantages of both bb and rb.

please get back re requested drive/install info.
happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/11/24 05:53 AM.

RealBand
BYOBand Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for continuing to accompany me on this troubleshooting venture.

2) I have no idea what installation I chose. Probably whatever the default was.
3) Everything is on my C drive at the moment.

I'm attaching screenshots of a random project in RB. One shows the song generation window, one shows the folder paths, and one shows the empty menu. I hope this helps.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
menu.jpg (309.81 KB, 76 downloads)
RB Folders.jpg (245.22 KB, 75 downloads)
songgenwindow.jpg (293.1 KB, 75 downloads)
RealBand
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
BYOBand

1. please post back a pic of the following in bb.

preferences >>realtracks. ie settings.

and in bb press F7 on pc kbd. to bring up multipicker.
go to realtracks and realdrums tabs. post back pics please.

2. in rb try this test.

attach pg drive that was sent...ie to the usb port.
(what package do you have ?)
now go to drive directly. ie click on it to open.
(DONT DELETE OR CHANGE ANYTHING).

go to realband folder.
down near the bottom of the rb folder you will see
Realband64. click on it (the exe) and youll see rb load and display.
next step...
in rb go to generate realtrack for a track...DO YOU SEE LOTS OF REALTRACK CONTENT DISPLAYED ??...or zilch ??
here i have about 3,800 items in the list....

once again DONT DELETE OR CHANGE ANYTHING.

i'm busy today but get back re the info.

fyi i'm a bit vision impared and sometimes have a prob with graphics.

problem solving is all about a process of elimination.
its like being a detective...lol.

fyi i always choose minimal install...for me...many benefits operating off a copy of the pg drive thats sent attached via fast usb. ymmv etc.
(are you useing a reasonably new pc or an old pc ??)

happiness.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/11/24 11:08 AM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe try this
'Save As' the song once as a SEQ file
See if that pesky little section (in parenthesis) beside your one style selection in your RT's dialogue goes away. (first picture in your above post)

It kind of looks like the song isn't letting other RT's be used.
Maybe a remnant setting from the BiaB song file (?)

I don't think I've ever seen that "(Song doesn't allow Realtracks ...)" in that window
It may be the root of the problem.

Last edited by rharv; 09/11/24 02:39 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics83,016
Posts752,411
Members38,973
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
iWa tech, leolll, Brommy, JohnTheler, Elton John
38,973 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 158
DC Ron 100
rsdean 94
BYOBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.