Page 2 of 2 1 2
firesong #823336 09/17/24 02:47 PM
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Love this stuff, Ron, and a great song to present the flavor of the Old West. Last night we just finished the Netflix presentation of Wyatt Earp and The Cowboy War. I really like how those BGVs lift up the vocal. You fill these compositions with such accomplished talent in your collaborators. Excellent mix and a very enjoyable write.

THANKS, Marty! On a lot of our early songs like this one I just put them out as fast as I could, since time (for me) was at a premium. But I always had a better arrangement and the BGVs in mind. Now time is more available, though it seems there's still never enough. So I'm like the guy in the "Time Enough at Last" Twilight Zone episode. Just hope I don't step on my glasses (you'd have to watch the episode). Appreciate the listen and the Netflix recommendation. There's always something on there I should watch but have never heard of...

Originally Posted by firesong
Ron...great song and great style...as I listened the first time I was captivated by the story line and hoped the whole time he would make it to the end of the line...if I were him I would have been tempted to cut the telegraph wires but that's just me...Dusty's vocals are always right on and he's one of my favs...BTW, Dusty Hughes is the perfect name for a singer in this genre...his name sounds like a picture by Charles Russel or Frederic Remington laugh...great job on BGV's, arrangement, mix and mastering...those of us who grew up in the 50's and 60's grew up in a cowboy culture no matter where we lived...great story telling and delivery!

Dan, yep, back in the day, seems we were all cowboys at some point. Ha! Dusty Hughes is a great "trail name" indeed. I might have been tempted to cut the wires, too. The most interesting part of the backstory that I learned in researching these lyrics was the Pony Express oath:

"I,………..,do hereby swear, before the Great and Living God, that during my engagement, and while an employee of Russell, Majors and Waddell, I will, under no circumstances, use profane language, that I will drink no intoxicating liquors, that I will not quarrel or fight with any other employee of the firm, and that in every respect I will conduct myself honestly, be faithful to my duties, and so direct all my acts as to win the confidence of my employers, so help me God.”

So...no wire cutting for these hombres! THANKS for the listen and the kind thoughts. smile

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
DC Ron #823519 09/19/24 11:40 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ron,

I really enjoyed "A Bit of American History (and Mythology)."
I also really liked the use of country waltzes.
It really captures the atmosphere of the era.
The vocals are great too.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by animarorecords
Ron, I really enjoyed "A Bit of American History (and Mythology)." I also really liked the use of country waltzes. It really captures the atmosphere of the era. The vocals are great too. Enjoyed my listen a lot. Best regards. Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki, THANKS for the listen. I was worried about these lyrics being gibberish to our global forum membership, since they are very USA-specific, but I've been pleasantly surprised. Glad you enjoyed the tune!!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #823603 09/21/24 03:08 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, I used to love watching those old westerns back in the day, good times!

Good write, nice melody, and great vocal. Excellent mix, and nice job on the BGVs!

Good one, Ron, listened a couple of times.

DC Ron #823616 09/21/24 05:49 AM
User Showcase
I
Apprentice
Apprentice
I
Ron
It's late here so sorry for a short comment.
Loved this and it ticks all the right boxes.
regards.

DC Ron #823631 09/21/24 07:28 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Love that voice; one can hear he enjoyed singing it. Also lyrically love the parallels to modern-day changes. Nice piano touches too.

BYOBand #823713 09/22/24 02:49 PM
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Man, I used to love watching those old westerns back in the day, good times! Good write, nice melody, and great vocal. Excellent mix, and nice job on the BGVs! Good one, Ron, listened a couple of times.

Dave, THANKS for the listen! Yep, it's hard to describe just how popular the western was in the early days of television, through the 60s and beyond. Watching TV without seeing a western would be like visiting YouTube and not seeing an influencer. It just...didn't happen...

Originally Posted by Izzy
Ron It's late here so sorry for a short comment. Loved this and it ticks all the right boxes. regards.

Izzy, glad you liked the tune!

Originally Posted by BYOBand
Love that voice; one can hear he enjoyed singing it. Also lyrically love the parallels to modern-day changes. Nice piano touches too.

THANKS! Dusty is a marvelous vocalist indeed. His voice is GREAT, but his interpretive ear is the thing that just makes my head spin. That's a nice waltz piano indeed. Faded it in and out to add a rhythmic push when needed. It's subtle but cool...THANKS for noticing.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #823716 09/22/24 03:37 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Excellent storytelling, with a good mix of drama, irony and pathos. It's a yes from me.

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
DC Ron #823728 09/22/24 08:51 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Ron, everything works so well on this track, and it has that authentic Marty Robbins, gunfighter ballad sound.
Hard to believe there was "zero thought" re the band - they sound like they're in the studio with you.
I enjoyed the singer and your BGVs too.
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172
DC Ron #823731 09/22/24 10:08 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ron,

You, RW Davis and DA Hughes have done a great job.
This is very easy to listen to and a great story.
The three of you sure maintain a high standard of song writing and song presentation.
Musical expertise is always a signature of your works.
This one is no exception.

I thoroughly enjoyed your story telling.
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #823785 09/23/24 02:34 PM
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Three consecutive replies from Australia. That's pretty cool.

Originally Posted by Ghostgum
Excellent storytelling, with a good mix of drama, irony and pathos. It's a yes from me.

Brian, glad you enjoyed it! "Drama, irony and pathos" sum up my life, or so it seems. Ha!

Originally Posted by mkg50 (Mike G)
Ron, everything works so well on this track, and it has that authentic Marty Robbins, gunfighter ballad sound. Hard to believe there was "zero thought" re the band - they sound like they're in the studio with you. I enjoyed the singer and your BGVs too. Mike

Thanks, Mike! I only gave zero thought to the nuances of a suitable production approach beyond assigning the A and B substyles. It was always on my "One day I'll go back and do that..." list. Which is quite a long list. But I did get to scratch THIS song off of that list. THANKS for the BGV comment; they were a lot of fun...

Originally Posted by Noel96
Hi Ron, You, RW Davis and DA Hughes have done a great job. This is very easy to listen to and a great story. The three of you sure maintain a high standard of song writing and song presentation. Musical expertise is always a signature of your works. This one is no exception. I thoroughly enjoyed your story telling. --Noel

Hey, Noel! Gee, I might be blushing a little, maybe a lot. I'm definitely the weak link in our collaboration, which probably makes me work a little harder at it. I share your appreciation for this story and the supporting lyrics. R.W. is a talented lyricist for sure. It's a good day when I wake up and there are fresh lyrics in my inbox. smile

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #823853 09/24/24 04:13 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nicely produced. Clear sound. Someone mentioned adding a spaghetti western guitar. That would a cool addition. Vocal sounds good but delivery is somewhat choppy. Good song,

User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
Nicely produced. Clear sound. Someone mentioned adding a spaghetti western guitar. That would a cool addition. Vocal sounds good but delivery is somewhat choppy. Good song,

THANKS for the compliment on the production/sound. Funny, because when I listen to the sparse production on the original Marty Robbins source material, it makes "The Rider" sound like a Phil Spector production. Ha! Which is why I didn't add a baritone guitar or even the harmonica that I REALLY wanted in there. I was going for a certain style. The choppy delivery was another stylistic element by me. Sometimes when you swing for the fences you're Aaron Judge, and sometimes you're Joey Gallo. Oof! THANKS for the listen and the notes!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #823962 09/25/24 06:58 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I definitely expected some spaghetti. No prob though.
Well done - a cool mix & band. I'd probably have put more reverb on te vocal but I think that's just a sub in my head for baritone with spring reverb & trem.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
DC Ron #823990 09/26/24 06:35 AM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Very clean sound and a great feel. The 6/8 groove feels like the movement of the horse to me. Very successful.

Even the losers get lucky sometimes
SoundCloud here: https://soundcloud.com/som-bisou
rayc #824013 09/26/24 12:03 PM
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by rayc
I definitely expected some spaghetti. No prob though. Well done - a cool mix & band. I'd probably have put more reverb on te vocal but I think that's just a sub in my head for baritone with spring reverb & trem.

THANKS, Ray! In acknowledgement of the many baritone suggestions, I was going to produce a special version, but...there are no BiaB 3/4 SW8 baritone guitars near 150BPM. So I played an overly busy version over the first part, just for fun. And it WAS a lot of fun.

The Rider (with a side of spaghetti)

Not really a baritone, but baritone-ish...

Last edited by DC Ron; 09/27/24 02:16 AM.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Heartbreaker #824014 09/26/24 12:06 PM
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by Heartbreaker
Very clean sound and a great feel. The 6/8 groove feels like the movement of the horse to me. Very successful.

Thanks! That's a cool comment about the groove, since this is one of a handful of songs I wrote while walking and using my stride as a metronome. It was exactly the gallop of a horse I had in my head when I wrote this. Glad you liked it!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #824260 09/29/24 11:04 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Apologies. This is brief as we continue to have internet issues after the hurricane — so this refers to both posts.

We really enjoyed the waltz time. It provided perfect movement for the excellent vocal and lyric.
Great narrative and a period of history we are fond of reading about.
Well performed and a great mix and band. And we like the baritone bit also.

J&B

You can listen to our catalog on Apple Music or Spotify by searching on Janice Merritt
Our Videos are here on our website
DC Ron #824264 09/29/24 11:35 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Online Content
Apprentice
This is in everyway pro!
Every part of the song is beautiful
I hear Jethro Tull there and there.!?

JONA #824289 09/29/24 03:45 PM
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
Apologies. This is brief as we continue to have internet issues after the hurricane — so this refers to both posts.

We really enjoyed the waltz time. It provided perfect movement for the excellent vocal and lyric.
Great narrative and a period of history we are fond of reading about.
Well performed and a great mix and band. And we like the baritone bit also.

J&B

J&B, hope you guys are ok! My mother, sister and brother were all in the Georgia path but came out of it in good shape. Know many weren't as fortunate. Glad ya'll liked the tune!

Originally Posted by JONA
This is in everyway pro!
Every part of the song is beautiful
I hear Jethro Tull there and there.!?

Thanks, Jona! LOVE Ian Anderson. If he's in there, he's welcome to stay!!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

Xtra Styles PAK 18 for Band-in-a-Box version 2024 is here with 200 brand new styles to take for a spin!

Along with 50 new styles each for the rock & pop, jazz, and country genres, we’ve put together a collection of styles using sounds from the SynthMaster plugin!

In this PAK you'll find: dubby reggae grooves, rootsy Americana, LA jazz pop, driving pop rock, mellow electronica, modern jazz fusion, spacey country ballads, Motown shuffles, energetic EDM, and plenty of synth heavy grooves! Xtra Style PAK 18 features these styles and many, many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the Xtra Styles PAKs 1 - 18 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Expand your Band-in-a-Box 2024® library with Xtra Styles PAK 18! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of the Xtra Styles PAK 18 here.

Watch the Xtra Styles PAK 18 Overview & Styles Demos video.

Note: The Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box®. (Xtra Styles PAK 18 requires the 2024 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition. They will not work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

New! XPro Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows!

We've just released XPro Styles PAK 7 with 100 brand new RealStyles, plus 50 RealTracks and RealDrums that are sure to delight!

With XPro Styles PAK 7 you can expect 25 rock & pop, 25 jazz, and 25 country styles, as well as 25 of this year's wildcard genre: Celtic!

Here's a small sampling of what XPro Styles PAK 7 has to offer: energetic rock jigs, New Orleans funk, lilting jazz waltzes, fast Celtic punk, uptempo train beats, gritty grunge, intense jazz rock, groovy EDM, soulful R&B, soft singer-songwriter pop, country blues rock, and many more!

Special Pricing! Until September 30, 2024, all the XPro Styles PAKs 1 - 7 are on sale for only $29 ea (Reg. $49 ea)! Supercharge your Band-in-a-Box 2024® with XPro Styles PAK 7! Order now!

Learn more and listen to demos of XPro Styles PAKs.

Watch the XPro Styles PAK 7 Overview & Styles Demos video.

XPro Styles PAKs require Band-in-a-Box® 2024 or higher and are compatible with ANY package, including the Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,893
Posts750,705
Members38,933
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
dimsha, jonmoi, Paolino27, tikatika, Hack Buster Recove
38,933 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
DC Ron 122